Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default a rant about dirty habits in this country

I was reading The Daily Mail online a couple of days ago & came across an article that said the british have a very cavalier attitude to illness. As if I didn`t already know that! I mean, half of people in this country can`t even be bothered to wash their hands after they`ve had a bathroom break, & then there`s the way people sneeze & cough all over the place. Then there`s all those workers that come in with sv`s & other stomach upsets, even handling food & not caring if they give other people their disgusting illnesses. It`s high time that people took more responsibility when theyr`e ill, then perhaps these bugs wouldn`t spread like wildfire, & people like me wouldn`t get so stressed out every winter.It`s so unnecessary!

Default Re: a rant about dirty habits in this country

I'm with you on that.

We may disagree on the Justin Bieber thing, but I cringe when I notice people disregarding basic hygiene. Hand washing is perhaps the most important part of personal hygiene, but hygiene in general is so important. Whenever I see people phlegming on the street, not covering their mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing etc. I always make a point of giving them my opinion.

It doesn't help that the UK is a crowded country with crowded public transport and a lot of people coming back and forth, this Autumn is much colder than normal and the cold and flu season is starting early and we have cold, damp winter weather that is perfect for breeding illnesses. That's why the entire country seems to have a cold or the flu between November and March. Oddly, norovirus doesn't seem as common as the media likes to make out. I seem to get at least two colds a year, my family three or four, but since 2003 the noro has visited us only once.

I'm guessing this is the story you read?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-hygiene.html
    Last edited by jet1550; 10-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.

I don`t think that they hold a grudge again`st me for getting sick when I was 10, but you can bet that If I were to go to a school reunion today, at least one of them would say to me :remember that time you were sick in class? din`t it stink! & so on.

im in australia, and from my point of view, bugs don't seem to spread too bad. probably because we are not overcrowded and even where i am in the colder part of the country our winters are comparativley warm to the UK and US.
    another reason could be that aussie's are notorious for staying home 'sick' from the littlest of things haha! (there have been so many newspaper articles about it, and people getting told off at work for taking too many 'sick' days)
    at school my friends will be away for a couple of days because they had a bit of a headache and wanted a sleep in. i'm even worse, regardless of anxiety

Yes, my classmates where buttheads of the first order!

I read an article on the BBC about it too. It really, really annoys me. It really IS so unnecessary and thoughtless and selfish. I think even if I wasn't emet I would be just as angry about it. It's pure laziness and it impacts on other people. Cynna, I agree - a person who v*s is not disgusting but adults who have poor manners/etiquette regarding bodily functions and hygiene are a bit on the disgusting side! and hairyfairy your classmates do indeed sound like idiots! xxx