Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I just dont understand how a sv* is contagious

Yes I understand what the actual process is but I see so many discrepancies that it just doesnt make sense. The latest example I have is a co-worker called sharon. Her 30 year old daughter was violently sick last wednesday, so much so that she couldnt work & she NEVER takes time off. She lives nearby her mother & the evening after the v* started-it carried on for 24hrs approx- she went to her mum's with her 2 young children. But she never actually v* in her mothers house so no sv*particles were there!
    I wasnt in work today but another co-worker rang to say sharon wasnt in cos she was v* now. It must be bad cos apparantly shes come to work in the past with a sv* & even passed out in toilet!! Thats at least 4 days since her daughter was ill. I thought it was a 72 hour incubation period, plus I know she was dreading catching it & so would have been taking the necessary precautions. Im soo scared cos Ive been feeling ill for days now. What are the chances that I havent caught it as well. The last time I actually worked with her was last thursday, but I was in work on saturday & used the same phones & keypads as her. I know I wasnt careful as far as putting my fingers in my mouth so Im now convincing myself Im next I bloody hate emet

Default Re: I just dont understand how a sv* is contagious

You can catch noro as soon as 12hrs. Its a very nasty virus. One id love to see eliminated for good. Its as common as the common cold to boot, or so ive read.

I realise that but I thought if you hadnt got it within 72 hours you were safe, but obviously I was wrong.

Nope you can catch much longer than that. Most people are contagious for up to 10 days. Most say your in the clear after 72hrs but ive caught it after a good week from my kids.

Aw great How the hell am I gonna get through the next few days!!! Already feel awful with some sort of virus or something, so am not going into work tomorrow but will have to work with her the rest of week. Plus Im really n* so I might have already picked it up

Just wash your hands, your gonna be fine. Not everyone gets it. Some are more prone than others.

No, the incubation period for norovirus is 12-72 hours. You cannot ingest the virus, and fall ill a week later. Her daughter or her grandchildren probably touched something in her house, which Sharon didn't touch until recently, and picked it up from there. If 72 hours has passed since you were exposed, Claire, you're in the clear.

I agree with Gracie. There's no WAY the virus can lie dormant in the body for 10 days and then start to cause symptoms! It's 72 hours at the maximum.

What CAN happen is that someone who has had the virus continues to shed it in their stool after they are better. That can be up to two or three weeks. It sounds terrifying but if that person has even basic hand hygiene (washing their hands after using the toilet) it should not be an issue.

Another thing is that the viral particles are pretty hardy and can survive on surfaces for a number of days. I'm not sure how long; I don't think it is documented anywhere really. Obviously if those surfaces are cleaned with a bleach solution then the viral particles will then be destroyed.

The daughter could have had viral particles on her clothes or hands if she'd been ill earlier that day, and taken those particles to her mother's house. That's why people are advised to stay home 48 hours after symptoms have subsided; firstly because they're likely to have particles on their person somewhere, and secondly because they'll almost certainly be shedding the particles in their stools for at least that 48 hour period.

So whilst Fixxer is right in saying that a person can remain infectious for 10 days, it is NOT the case that the virus can lie dormant in your system (before symptoms appear) for that long. Fixxer your tone can be quite doomy at times and I don't really think it helps people. I know as well that we've debated this exact point before (the length of infectiousness vs the length the virus can lie dormant in a person's system before causing symptoms). I know you're not meaning to give any misinformation but you end up misleading people and making them needlessly anxious I think. I don't mean this as a personal attack as I know you're not trying to be misleading, and don't want to sugar-coat anything, but it IS misleading!

Claire I know it's scary but honestly if you keep up good hand hygiene you will be all right. You can't have caught it already. I like these wipes and spray: http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/cline..._1_156046.html xxx

Thanks everyone for your replies. Ive already decided not to go into work tomorrow because I feel pretty crap with whatever it is Ive got!! But I know in the back of my mind is the added stress of working with her when she is still contagious. That bothers me cos I realise Im being irrational & I should go in & I wouldve considered it if there wasnt that possibility! The thing is Ive got to work with her rest of the week so Im just prolonging the misery. I do genuinely feel ill, been feeling extremely n* for days & had headache & ache all over. I took my first probiotic earlier, I bought them months ago but was afraid theyd jinx me or something so delayed trying them. This n* is so bad - worse than Ive experienced for months & Im taking everything possible to help me not to v*. Wish me luck!!

A person carries / sheds the virus for up to 10 days. It can live on surfaces for 2 weeks. So its possible to get it well after 72hrs. The incubation period for symptoms to start are 12-72hrs. Im not surgarcoating anything, those are facts.

You were implying that you were exposed to the virus, and it then took "a good week" for your symptoms to show. That is incorrect. Once you have ingested the viral particles, there is an incubation period of 12-72 hours. Yes, the virus can live on surfaces for up to two weeks, and yes, a person can shed the virus for at least ten days. Perhaps you didn't explain it properly in your first post. No one is asking you to sugar-coat anything; just not to spread misinformation, which will scare others needlessly.

I don't think people realize another obvious cause, she may have picked up the virus elsewhere! I am assuming though that perhaps the children had it, and didnt wash hands after wiping, or if one was in diapers, that can spread. Any of those are possibilities. From what I understand, a lot noro viruses come from contaminated food. (Where the handler was sick, and then someone ate what they made)

Hello! I am new to this chat and new to this site! If I may, I cannot stress how IMPORTANT hand washing is!!!! Also keeping the hands away from eyes, nose, mouth also. Use a tissue if you have to wipe your eyes/nose/mouth or use the hand sanitizers before you do. Sharing eating utinsels (sp?), drinking from same cup/can is a no no too. Kids don't realize this when they are young but you can teach (or try too) teach them the importance of this. Google "stomach flu incubation period". May help too.

I wash my hands more than any other person I know. I think there must be so many variables when it comes to catching a sv* that its no guarantee though. Yes obviously I get the importance of hand washing but surely the vast majority of people know about basic hygiene. Using my co-workers example of a sv* its just so random - firstly her 30 year daughter had it, followed 4 days later by my co-worker. As far as Im aware her 2 grandchildren, her hubby & her daughters partner didnt get it, and her hubby has a very compromised immune system due to the meds he has to take.

The virus is carried thru droplets that settle on surfaces too so if you handle phones or such you should wipe them down with a disinfectant wipe frequently. As a kid I would worry so I would get the darn sickness!!!

Quote Originally Posted by claire43 View Post
    I wash my hands more than any other person I know. I think there must be so many variables when it comes to catching a sv* that its no guarantee though. Yes obviously I get the importance of hand washing but surely the vast majority of people know about basic hygiene. Using my co-workers example of a sv* its just so random - firstly her 30 year daughter had it, followed 4 days later by my co-worker. As far as Im aware her 2 grandchildren, her hubby & her daughters partner didnt get it, and her hubby has a very compromised immune system due to the meds he has to take.
    Maybe they caught it from other sources like twinmom said. More than one person or family or group of people can have it at once. Just because one person has it, that doesn't mean that they're the ONLY way others around them can catch it.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick update: Turns out the whole family except for the 6 year old got it. One of the men only had d* but the others all got really sick a lot!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    You were implying that you were exposed to the virus, and it then took "a good week" for your symptoms to show. That is incorrect. Once you have ingested the viral particles, there is an incubation period of 12-72 hours. Yes, the virus can live on surfaces for up to two weeks, and yes, a person can shed the virus for at least ten days. Perhaps you didn't explain it properly in your first post. No one is asking you to sugar-coat anything; just not to spread misinformation, which will scare others needlessly.
    Actually, what I got form Fixxer comments is that he got it a week after his kids were better, meaning they were contagious for a week, not that he caught it and developed it a week later.

This might make you (and everyone else) feel better. It has made me feel better for sure: Symptoms of Rotavirus in Adults

Most adults who are infected with rotavirus will not develop symptoms of the virus.

I found this info at: http://diarrhea.emedtv.com/rotavirus...rotavirus.html