Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi, just wanted to share an experience. I went to the nail bar this lunchtime, I've gone a few times now, part of my new beauty regime that's been developing over the last few months as I've gradually edged my way towards 30!!

Anyway I was chatting to the nail technicial, as you do, and she was asking if I had kids and I said no, I said I wanted them and as I was getting older I was thinking about it more and more but I said I was bothered by s*ck and poo... I sort of said it in a way that was more like 'I'm the sort of woman who goes to beauty parlours, not changes dirty nappies' kind of way rather than a 'I'm really scared of it' kind of way.. you know what I mean.

Anyway she said she was bothered by it too, not dirty nappies, but s*ck. Then she paused and then she said "actually I hate v*, I haven't been s* for ages, I'm really phobic of it." and so I said "so am I" and we sort of looked at each other, and that was it... nobody pressed it any further. But nobody's ever come out and admitted that to me before and it made me realise that it's a difficult thing to talk about, but when you realise just how many of us there are it's really quite an eye opener.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you - I hope you all have a good weekend, especially those of us in the UK who are looking forward to a nice Bank Holiday and/or half term.

Byeee xxx

oh wow! thats really cool that she admitted to you! it is def hard to be open about this - espec with people you dont know at all. i think also coz many of us have been judged and ridculed about this in the past.

I cant WAIT for the weekend!! i am soooo looking forward to going home. i should be now - but im stuck in a meeting ...grrr!

have a good ones guys
    ems x

I had a similar experience yesterday. Most of the time that I am on here I am at work while stuff is going through my machine. A guy I work with came and asked what I was looking at. First I told him "You don't wanna know.." Then he asked again and I explained to him what emetophobia was. He said,"No kidding.. I've always been like that. Can't even clean up a kitty hairball!"

I think that many emets are just afraid of how society will judge them about the phobia. Rightfully so.. My grandma has been telling me for as long as I can remember that she doesn't know how a mom can be LIKE me. NICE ONE GRAMMA!
    \"This too shall pass\"

lol, i cant say my experience was quite like that but i have been talking to one of the site members...then found out she lived really really close to my area. then found out i had been dealing with one of her family members on some volunteer work since the new year.

"its a small world after all

its a small world after all

its a small small world"

I found this site through a fellow emet . . . she was in my grad school, and we were both in a creative writing workshop. All of her stories involved v***ing, and one day I mentioned that to her, and she said she had a huge phobia of v***ing and that's why she was so obsessed with it. i confessed that I was the same, and she directed me to this site. I haven't seen her since we graduated in 2001 . . . a lovely redheaded girl from Australia . The first and only emet I've ever met in person (that I know of).

I truly believe that there are a lot more emets in this world than we know. Like I was, many people are not aware that this is a real phobia. Before I found out about this, I honestly thought that I was the ONLY person in the whole wide world that feared *v*. Also I think a lot of people are reluctant to admit that they have this phobia. You hear all of the time about fear of heights, fear of spiders, etc, but you never hear about fear of *v*. I really wish that it would be recognized more...maybe our Dr.Phil thread will work!

Jess