Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Preventatives.

Default Preventatives.

Other than good hygiene (I wash my hands like crazy and use Germstar Noro) what can I do as a preventative with *the* season coming up.
    I take colloidal silver every day, does anyone else have any kind of alternative remedies they do that help with virus prevention?
    I've tried pretty much all the immune supplements but nothing really gives me peace of mind. I want something that pretty much guarantees I'm safe until the vaccine is finally available.

Default Re: Preventatives.

Probiotics. Unfortunately, nothing is 100% guaranteed, not even the vaccine. The best way to prevent norovirus or any virus for that matter, is to practice good hygiene, get plenty of sleep and fuel your body with good and healthy foods. I should really take my own advice...lol
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Default Re: Preventatives.

Sadly there is nothing that "pretty much guarantees" you will be safe, and there are a lot of snake oil salesmen who are happy to take your money while promising things that their supplements can't do. I've stated my opinion on colloidal silver elsewhere, so I'll leave that be, but in general, just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe (hemlock anyone?)... and sometimes when things are processed to make drugs, they become safer (foxglove/digitalis). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for complementary medicine, just not quackery, and especially not the irresponsible, unregulated peddling of cures that aren't demonstrated to help and may actually do harm.

I have heard good things about drinking 3 8-oz glasses of grape juice a day, and I believe some studies have been done that support this (I looked it up a few months ago, can't recall now exactly what the change in risk was).

Other than that, same stuff that Deadinside said... sleep well, eat healthy food, take a multivitamin if you need to. Probiotics are also good. Wish there were a magic bullet I could tell you to take :\ (They may come out with a noro vaccine sometime in the next ten years, but obviously that's no help this season)