Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Ug....don't know what to do, can't stop thinking about it

Ok, first off, my daughter is 9 years old and in the 4th grade. Today the boy that sits next to her threw up all over her.. It got on her leg, in her shoe and all over the chair and desk. I had to bring her a change of clothes. No one in the class is sick....except for one with pneumonia. they said the kid didn't complain of being unwell, but just threw up violently all over the place. MY Emetophobia revolves around her getting sick. I think it's because I'm afraid to catch it, but I'm not quite sure. I know that whenever she throws up , I panic and even the thought of her picking something up makes me a wreck. I'm so scared right now. I brought her home, and made sure she washed her hands, but I'm still paranoid beyond belief that she will get whatever he has. What if she inhaled some of the vomit particles I keep telling myself. What if she touched her hands to her face before she washed them....I can't quit panicking about this. I can't do anything except cry and shake. I have some Ativan, but it just makes me sleepy . I don't knwo what to do ;(

Default Re: Ug....don't know what to do, can't stop thinking about it

I unerstand that it must be driving you MENTAL - I'd be the exact same....but I had a conversation with my therapist last night about when you can't stop thinking about things like this - I was telling her how sometimes I just lie awake worry - and she was teaching me this method of distraction where you stop and take 5. So you just take a few deep breaths - in through the nose, out through the mouth and then you try and think of 5 other things....so it might 5 things you need to do tomorrow, or 5 things around you that you can hear at that moment , 5 things you'd like to acheive before the end of the month, 5 people you haven't seen for a while and want to make a point of catching up with....even take the time and write them down

I know how you feel. My kids were around a kid this morning at a pumpkin patch who was v* (Yes, the mom brought the sick kid.... why? No clue). Not only did they run around and play (well this kid wasn't so much but his brothers were), but were playing with a ball that they were all throwing and catching, and even stopped and ate ice cream. When I found out that the kid (who I happened to see v* out of the side of their minivan) was sick before they came today I started feeling the flickers of a panic moment. My daughter is 9 also. The boy who was v* has a brother in her class. I am home now wondering how I am going to make it through the next 48-72 hours. She was exposed, (as was my other daughter) and there is nothing I can do about that. Lord knows, I will try to give them probiotics or grape juice or whatever else I can think of to keep it away. But I, like you, am playing the "wait and see" game and it sucks. I am sorry, believe me I know what you are feeling right now at this moment. I hate one of them getting sick more than anything. All we can do is hope for the best and do the best we can. Just know that I am out here somewhere rooting for you that she will be okay.

How are things now?

Quote Originally Posted by pemommie View Post
    I know how you feel. My kids were around a kid this morning at a pumpkin patch who was v* (Yes, the mom brought the sick kid.... why? No clue). Not only did they run around and play (well this kid wasn't so much but his brothers were), but were playing with a ball that they were all throwing and catching, and even stopped and ate ice cream. When I found out that the kid (who I happened to see v* out of the side of their minivan) was sick before they came today I started feeling the flickers of a panic moment. My daughter is 9 also. The boy who was v* has a brother in her class. I am home now wondering how I am going to make it through the next 48-72 hours. She was exposed, (as was my other daughter) and there is nothing I can do about that. Lord knows, I will try to give them probiotics or grape juice or whatever else I can think of to keep it away. But I, like you, am playing the "wait and see" game and it sucks. I am sorry, believe me I know what you are feeling right now at this moment. I hate one of them getting sick more than anything. All we can do is hope for the best and do the best we can. Just know that I am out here somewhere rooting for you that she will be okay.
    . I would of walked up to the mother and asked her why she felt she could expose everyone else's kids to her kids virus?!!! First off, if the child was vomitting, I doubt he wanted to be there. Secondly, this is the EXACT reason viruses spread so badly. I would have told her this, I have never had a roblem voicing my opinion. I HATE it when people take their sick kids out especialy to something unnecassary!. The poor things probably feel miserable and just want to be in bed. I don't care if it is a cold, stomach bug, bronchitis, whatever! Keep your poor child home.

The thing is, the kid wasn't sick. He was acting normal...everything was fine then the teacher said time for math, he said math math ..something or other ..not unusual, and just puked everywhere...including all over my kid. It's been 24 hours + since she was exposed, so i dunno, she still has a little time to catch it.

Hopefully you are breathing a bit easier by now. I just dropped my 9 year old off at school and found out the teacher was v* on Friday (she claims that she probably got it from a kid who came to school last Thursday sick, who ultimately went home). She had all of the kids wiping their desks down. Needless to say, I am still very much on edge and will be throughout this week. I don't know when this will all die down a bit... probably March. Ugh.