Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just got home from emergency care centre

As some of you might know Ive been feeling ill for couple of weeks. Went to dr last friday who said I probably had some kind of virus. Since then Ive got more & more breathless even just walking from one room to another. I dont smoke & normally I do a lot of walking so its been weird to be so out of breath even whilst sitting watching tv. Anyway I went back to dr after work today & she listened to my chest, took my bp & heart rate & promptly rang the hospital & made me go straight up there with a possible clot on the lung!!!! Thankfully after more blood tests, ECG, & chest x ray they let me come home having first given me a blood thinning injection in my stomach & an appointment for the morning to have more bloods taken. What an experience. I hate drs surgeries cos of all the germs etc & now Ive been bombarded from all directions. About 45 mins before they let me leave a man in his early 20's was admitted with suspected kidney stones & he was v* terribly. He was in the toilet but you could hear him, at least thats what my daughter said I had already spotted him & could see he was going to v* so I made myself scarce

Default Re: Just got home from emergency care centre

Thanks. I dont actually feel too bad at the moment. Just relieved to be out of that hospital.

Wow that's all so scary. Good thing you went back to your docs! And it sounds like you've coped really well - I'd be a wreck after that. Do they know what's caused it/ are you going to be ok now? Hope you manage to get a decent night's sleep xx

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh dear, I hope you feel better soon!!! I know what you mean about the hospital...and I work in one!

Spent the entire day at the medical day unit in my local hospital. In total I saw the consultant (from prior experience thats unusual - you usually get the junior drs), the dr Id seen the night before and 2 student drs. The main one decided Id need a ct scan to help decide what was going on. I only had to wait about an hour then I had a canula inserted in my right arm & I was taken for my scan. When they attached the tube for the dye to flow through it was discovered that the needle was to thin to allow the amount of dye to flow through. So I then had to have a 2nd fitted into the vein in my left arm & so today Im left with badly bruised & sore arms!! Several hours later the consultant came to explain what was going on. He said if there had been a clot in my lung the blood thinner Id been injected with the night before had dispersed it. The only thing that showed up was some fluid around my heart!! We agreed that if I think the symptoms are not easing over next few days Im to ring & he'll see me but that will lead to more invasive testing. The probable cause is some sort of virus thats affected the pleuratic area (lungs) which has caused a fluid build up and its leaked into the the cavity around my heart. Quite scary but I went back into work today cos used most of my hols taking past couple of weeks off. Crazy.

On a good note I have to say how brilliant the NHS (National Health Service) were as regards my treatment. From the time I attended emergency care unit, to the medical day unit they did a load of blood tests, 2 ecg's, chest x ray, ct scan as well as kept an eye on my vitals. I was able to speak to the consultant who came to me rather than me to him & the nurses were very friendly & helpful. All this free.

Im the first to bitch about the NHS and to be fair there are a lot of things to moan about but when the chips are down its good to know that no matter what your financial situation your health treatment is given no matter what the cost.