Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Bad day at work

Default Bad day at work

As some of you may know Ive been unwell for about 10 days now with a virus. Well today I went back to work after taking all of last week off. I didnt feel too bad so I decided to walk, its all downhill & only takes me about 25 mins, but by the time I got there I was extremely red in the face & sweating (its quite a chilly day!). I noticed my left arm was very trembly but laughed it off but after a couple of hours out of nowhere my whole body started shaking especially both my hands. This was followed by waves of hot flashes with some n* & feeling like I needed to go to the loo. I had to leave my desk & go to the toilet and wet a paper towel to put on back of neck. Everyone in work were very sympathetic but it was so embarressing. For a while I actually thought I was going to pass out. I took 2 tranquilisers and after a while it subsided but still getting moments of feeling strange.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Bad day at work

I think you just over did it with the walk after being sick for 10 days....

Take it easy and make sure you are eating and drinking as lightheadness and the shakes and n* could all be from not enough of either...

Hope you are feeling better now.

Kellygirl

Thank you.

Being ill didnt really affect my appetite, it was more like a flu type virus so Id be surprised if that was the reason. I agree with you Id probably have been better off not walking to work but still that doesnt seem right to have had such a reaction. When I finished work, luckily it was only a 4 hour shift today, I went grocery shopping, came home & fell asleep for a hour but I woke up & started shaking badly again!! Im quite concerned about this as it seems so random.

Hi Claire. Sorry you're having such a rough time at the moment. Have been reading your posts and it does sound like whatever you had's really knocked you for six! Did the docs figure out if you had a UTI or something else? And are you taking an antibiotic? Maybe it's that that's making you feel funny. Although saying that after I had proper flu I felt rotten for ages, especially if I tried to do to much. You might still just be getting over it? Hope you feel better soon

Thanks kamooo96.

I know Ive been posting a lot lately, much more than usual but like you said something has really done a number on me! My results are not back yet but Ive made another appointment to see a dr on wednesday afternoon. Dont know what I expect him to do, after all there isnt anything you can do for a virus you just have to ride it out I was thinking of asking him for something for my anxiety but I have asked previously & was told no & that they wouldnt help me at all. It makes me kinda annoyed though cos I already get 10 oxazepam a month from a relative & most of the time after taking one I can pretty much function as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by claire43 View Post
    As some of you may know Ive been unwell for about 10 days now with a virus. Well today I went back to work after taking all of last week off. I didnt feel too bad so I decided to walk, its all downhill & only takes me about 25 mins, but by the time I got there I was extremely red in the face & sweating (its quite a chilly day!). I noticed my left arm was very trembly but laughed it off but after a couple of hours out of nowhere my whole body started shaking especially both my hands. This was followed by waves of hot flashes with some n* & feeling like I needed to go to the loo. I had to leave my desk & go to the toilet and wet a paper towel to put on back of neck. Everyone in work were very sympathetic but it was so embarressing. For a while I actually thought I was going to pass out. I took 2 tranquilisers and after a while it subsided but still getting moments of feeling strange.

Any ideas?
    Low Blood sugar!

When your blood sugar drops, that is exactly how it feels. I have one of those blood glucose monitors because for a long time I thought it was panic attacks. When one hits, I take my glucose level, and a lot of times it is at only 60. So, it is not panic, it is low blood sugar. Eating protei helps keep it regulated.

If I recall correctly - you were up quite late - unable to sleep and feeling quite poorly - I'd say the combo of the last of the virus still being in your system and the lack of sleep and THEN the long walk on top of that would have made you quite weak - this could have resulted in your feeling weak and faint - which can lead to nausea.

Maybe you should take it easy for the first few days returning to work - maybe don't walk in for the first few days and let your body bounce back from being down.

Thanks kamooo96.

I know Ive been posting a lot lately, much more than usual but like you said something has really done a number on me! My results are not back yet but Ive made another appointment to see a dr on wednesday afternoon. Dont know what I expect him to do, after all there isnt anything you can do for a virus you just have to ride it out I was thinking of asking him for something for my anxiety but I have asked previously & was told no & that they wouldnt help me at all. It makes me kinda annoyed though cos I already get 10 oxazepam a month from a relative & most of the time after taking one I can pretty much function as normal.
    Hey again! Really hope you didn't think I was commenting on you posting a lot! I absolutely wasn't just wanted to let you know I felt bad that you were having a miserable time! Your doc sounds rubbish but I'd put your foot down when you go back! Or maybe ask to see a different GP? Also had you taken any ozazepam before you started feeling funny? It says on the side effects thing that you can get shaking and sweating from them! I do think twinmum's shout about blood sugar could be it though. Can make you feel horrible x

Kam00096: No I didnt think that, but I do feel a bit of a hypochondriac with all my posts over last couple of weeks. No I hadnt taken oxazepam til after my funny turn, if anything it seemed to help. Trouble with my drs is its a practice with 4 or 5 partners plus numerous newly qualified drs. No matter how many times over the last 4 years Ive tried to explain how anxious I am they all just point blank refuse to prescribe tranquilisers. I know all about the down side but I really think they would be of so much help to me its worth the risk. Besides which Ive already been using a relatives tablets for several years as & when its necessary & dont use them everyday, probably about 8 a month depending on how Im feeling.

TwinMom73: What causes low blood sugar? I had eaten a bowl of cereal about 3 hours before this happened. Im beginning to think my antibiotics are the cause. Im taking 2 a day, morn & evening. I started shaking again tonight about 2 hours after Id taken it. It might be a coincidence but Ive decided not to take one in morning but wait til I get home from work at 1pm - at least that way I wont make a show of myself if its that. On the other hand today was my 4th day on them & it only happened today so who knows.

I'm posting like a demon at the moment too :-) But it has calmed me way down tonight (that and a couple of anti-emetics!). Have you asked the docs about anti-depressants rather than tranqs at all? Not trying to promote them in any way but I got prescribed citalopram for anxiety although they're meant for depression. I'd love to not be on anything but they defi do take the edge off the panicking. Am sorry your surgery's so useless but it could be that they're being super fussy about the tranquilisers because of all the downsides. x

Have been on 40mg citalopram for couple of years. I was prescribed them for anxiety not depression too. Just wish my drs would actually listen to what Im telling them. The one time I finally owned up to one dr about my emet she looked bemused & then offered to refer me for nhs group therapy. Now Im no dr but sitting around with a group of strangers all there for various reasons & Im guessing there wont be another emet there just didnt appeal to me so I said no.

Ugh the NHS is hopeless with things like emet. Just not enough understanding of it. I got referred for group therapy and computer based CBT, neither helped or remotely related to emet! I've now finally got back to the top of the waiting list to see a psychologist (my old one left and they signed me off instead of transferring me so I've had to wait for months again!) Have had one session with her, she knew nothing about it (despite the fact she had all of my previous notes!) and said 'well nobody likes being sick'. Then she told me she was on holiday for a fortnight so I wouldn't get another appointment for three weeks. Awesome! I've thought about going private but I'm just not sure there's anyone in Scotland who knows enough about it to really help! But yeah I hate that feeling of them not listening or even trying to understand!

Kam00096: No I didnt think that, but I do feel a bit of a hypochondriac with all my posts over last couple of weeks. No I hadnt taken oxazepam til after my funny turn, if anything it seemed to help. Trouble with my drs is its a practice with 4 or 5 partners plus numerous newly qualified drs. No matter how many times over the last 4 years Ive tried to explain how anxious I am they all just point blank refuse to prescribe tranquilisers. I know all about the down side but I really think they would be of so much help to me its worth the risk. Besides which Ive already been using a relatives tablets for several years as & when its necessary & dont use them everyday, probably about 8 a month depending on how Im feeling.

TwinMom73: What causes low blood sugar? I had eaten a bowl of cereal about 3 hours before this happened. Im beginning to think my antibiotics are the cause. Im taking 2 a day, morn & evening. I started shaking again tonight about 2 hours after Id taken it. It might be a coincidence but Ive decided not to take one in morning but wait til I get home from work at 1pm - at least that way I wont make a show of myself if its that. On the other hand today was my 4th day on them & it only happened today so who knows.
    To be honest, I don't know exactly what causes low blood sugar specifically, but I know if you eat a lot of sugar, you can crash an hour later. I do know there are certain medications that can also cause this. I remember my blood sugar had dropped to 63, and I had drank a coke only less than an hour ago. Some days I am never bothered by it, and soome days I can have a few bouts of it. I know a controlled diet can help it.

Just think my bodies totally messed up and has been for 2 or 3 weeks. I could pick any of a mulitude of reasons from my IBS, mystery virus, thyroid probs, gastritis and the one I love best anxiety just to name a few but at the end of the day its not gonna make me well. Ive just got to manage it as best as I can til my body rights itself. In the meantime prepare yourselves for a lot of posts from me. Strange as it sounds sometimes just by writing these posts it seems to help me.

Now I cant even sleep cos I feel icky & got to get up in less then 6 hrs Sigh!!!

Thanks for all your replies & advice. Had appointment with my dr after work earlier today. She then sent me straight to our local hospital as an emergency referral. After a barrage of tests they dont think its a blood clot on my lung but to be on safe side they injected a blood thinner into my stomach & Ive got to go back to the day unit in morning. Im pretty sure that its just some kind of infection. Had to take week off last week & used a lot of my hols. Couldve gone on sick leave but Im using up all my days instead cos I'd only be entitled to statutory sick pay which amounts to approx one third of my usual wage which would account for my rent but nothing else : ( Its made worse cos now the n* is really very bad & despite being I cant relax enough to go to sleep even though my eys are drooping. Each time I drop off Im jolted awake feeling extremely n*.

Cynna - No I havent checked to see if my meds are interacting badly. Truth is Ive been taking the same meds for several years with very few problems (if any), because Ive always relied on medication I seem to have built up quite a resistance to even the stronger types of prescription drugs. I know from others on here that phenergan can really zonk people out, even small doses. I reguarly take 50mg of phenergan & I manage to function normally. Also when I had my last endoscopy I insisted they gave me the strongest sedative they had, unfortunately cos Ive built up a tolerance I was wide awake & totally aware of everything uncomfortable second. Nightmare!!!!

And yes cynna I spent the entire day up the hospital yesterday. Ended up getting a ct scan which showed no clot but some fluid had built up around my heart. I opted for the wait & see option rather than putting myself through invasive tests Im going to wait & see how I feel & how uncomfortable my chest/upper back is over next few days. If it doesnt ease up the dr gave me a direct telephone number where I could get through to his team & theyd see me straightaway & do the other tests. He says its quite likely to be some sort of virus which has caused fluid to leak into the pleuratic area from my lungs or something like that. All I could take in was I could leave after 2 days of torture. Went back to work today & yes I wasnt right but I did the full day although the pain was quite bad towards the afternoon & I was breathless all day. Will just use public transport instead of my usual walk to work for next week or so, that way I dont overdo things.