Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question OT: panic attack without knowing?

So ive been feeling like crap the past few weeks. Lots of ibs + severe gerd. Last night out of the blue i noticed my heart was beating fast and i felt odd. It went away at midnight but came back overnight into this morning. I ended up in the ER today and my heart rate was really high. I was rushed back and given an IV and a ekg to monitor me. They thought it was heart or lung related. My ekg and extensive bloodwork came back fine. Also my half body ct scan with contrast of my heart and lungs were normal. He did say my white blood count was 1 point above normal but said i could be fighting something off. He thought it might be stress related or from my gi issues and told me to rest and gave me valium to sleep. How can this be panic related when i didnt know i was panicing about anything? I mean i do have stress but this came out of nowhere. The only thing i was worried about was the fast pulse. Im still having it a bit tonight along with reflux and fatigue. Im glad its nothing serious but is this normal? Even with my emet fears ive never experienced this.

Thoughts or ideas? I am going to quit smoking tommorrow since my lungs are still good. I know that can cause fasr heart rate too.

Default Re: OT: panic attack without knowing?

Oh gosh I hope your okay! Sometimes I panic for no reason, I used to get severe heart palpatations when I played soccer from anxiety as well. I got an ultrasound and nothing was wrong. I'd say your right in quitting smoking thats bound to improve your gerd and ibs thing as well. Some days also I seem to have a panic attack for an extensive period of time - like a niggling feeling that never quite subsides for a while. Its fairly mild but you are probably just panicking about something to do with your health if you are having ibs and such.
    Definately quit smoking though! I smoke when I go out (which is rare at the moment though) and it takes me days to feel normal after just a few.

It could be due to meds you are taking. I get Serotonin Syndrome from my migraine meds. Milk and bananas also increase your serotonin, and it causes a rapid heart rate, etc. I would guess that it could be from reflux meds if you are taking any. If you are drinking a lot of milk to calm reflux, that may increase the probability. It's hard to explain, but I deal with it a lot, and it's not related to anxiety. I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

Quote Originally Posted by TryingToBeBrave View Post
    It could be due to meds you are taking. I get Serotonin Syndrome from my migraine meds. Milk and bananas also increase your serotonin, and it causes a rapid heart rate, etc. I would guess that it could be from reflux meds if you are taking any. If you are drinking a lot of milk to calm reflux, that may increase the probability. It's hard to explain, but I deal with it a lot, and it's not related to anxiety. I'm sorry you had to go through all that.
    yeah i thought for sure they would find cancer or something the way i have been feeling. plus i have smoked for 18 years. i bought nicotine gum for tomorrow, gonna quit while i can. i also thought this may be due to me trying to switch ppi's about 10 days ago. these symptoms appeared about then. i have been taking sudafed for nasal congestion too. at least i know it's not super serious but still i don't like the fast heart rate. i also haven't been sleeping well so maybe these pills will help.

glad you mentioned that condition as i do take one of the meds on there and have for 10 years. reglan and i take migrain medicine as well often. maybe i just found my answer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome
    Last edited by fixxxer2012; 10-25-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    Quitting is good, I need to also.

I am glad there is nothing wrong with your heart.

I have had the fast heartbeat for no reason. I think maybe it could be subconscious panic or something. It is like my mind is at work even when I don't realize it-if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Could be that feeling of dread also. See other thread.
    i haven't had a "dread" feeling but the past week something has seemed off to me, like detached a bit from life and my thought process. almost like something isn't right. i do get seasonal depression a bit but it never did this too me.

Heart rate is better but im still feeling it. The valium gave me a headache from hell last night. Im having a feeling i have sleep apnea and ive thought this for a year now. Its related to gi issues, fatigue and high heart rate. Gotta get tested for it soon. I know it can be brought on by stress. Might explain my morning headaches and not feeling rested.

They probably checked your thyroid levels when they did the bloodwork but its worth asking. This can cause your heart to race. Im going through something similar in that my heart rate is high, my bp is high & Im getting very breathless. Been given a blood thinner jab in case of clot on the lung & had ct scan yesterday which showed fluid leaked into pleuratic cavity around my heart. No known cause so been told its probably a virus. Valium is a wonder drug. It relaxes you and makes you so laid back & carefree I love them. Sadly I can't get them these days, the drs frown upon handing them out cos theyre highly addictive.

Yeah my thyroid was tested. Im supposedly in good health. I sure as hell dont feel it though. Im gonna give the valium another shot tonight. I know this is stress becuase when i get upset i can feel it.

The Neurologist told me the "antidote" to Serotonin Syndrome...2 Benadryl. I was having a mild form of it daily for awhile because I have daily migraines. If you feel like your life isn't in danger, try the Benadryl. If it is that, it will usually make you feel pretty normal, though tired, after about 30 minutes. Lorazepam is also an antidote, but I find the Benadryl is much more effective and works more quickly. I usually get a rapid onset (like a lightswitch) of a rapid heartbeat, get really confused, hot, and sometimes am nauseous from it.

It could be something else, but trying the Benadryl may give you some answers. I got the worse episode after trying SSRIs as a preventive migraine treatment and then taking an Imitrex when one hit. The others have been more mild and have been from daily Imitrex use. Hope you get it figured out soon!

Im starting to think prevacid may be causing this. Took one today and it started. Took a valium and it is better. Scary stuff.

The pharmacist told me to stop taking prevacid. Its a rare side effect to have high blood pressure or heart attacks. Took my bp a few hours ago and it was alot better, almost normal. Of course i did take a valium today but that doesnt lower heart rate.