Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi!

I decided to ask you guys if you vomited a lot as a child cause people are talking about their kids throwing up here. So did you?I've been afraid of throwing up since I was a little kid so I can remember all the times I threw up as a kid and there's only four of them. Last time I threw up was when I was 8 and that was 13 years ago. I hope I won't ever have to throw up again but I don't know if that's a realistic hope. Ok, that's all I wanted to ask.

Tiina

Id estimate maybe 4-5 times from age 3-9 and twice in teenage years.

I think there are WAY MORE sv*s around now than when I was a kid!I V* probably 3 or 4 times total but I have had other sv*s that Iwould'nt v*So that would prob. make 8 sv*in 33years.My oldest daughter, on the other hand , has v* 6 times in 8 years! And beleive me, Iam WAY more cautious than my mom was about hand washing, ect.

I've been an emet all my life.I'm 41 and know I've had8 stomach viruses so far. My longest stretch without vomiting was 20 years.

My kids are 3 and 4. My son has had one sv so far (rotavirus) and my daughter has had 3 in the last year.

I had a stomach bug every year always around Christmas and/or my birthday (january) until I was about 8. The trigger incident which started the emet happened when I was 10 although I had always hated v* but it wasnt really a phobia. Since then I had not v*ed but came very vfery close when I was 13 and then again last year, both times through stomach bugs. I know I am not prone to them. My mum and sister get them fairly regularly but i am like my Dad who has had 1 bug that made him v* in the 28 years he has known my mum but I still live in constant fear.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

I did not vomit much as a child. I think I had a virus in second or third grade. I barely remember vomiting at one of my friends house when I was in pre-k or kindergarten. I vomited once in sixth or seventh grade, but I think that was because my sinuses were draining. Then, I vomited when I caught a virus from my son, that was about four years ago, and I didnt have it near as bad as he did. I think that is all for me, I cant remember anymore right now. I had friends that got sick more than I did though.

I did a lotfrom when I was 1-4 years old because of a sv.After that from 4-8years old about 5-6 times.Have not since age 8 though.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Hi!

Thanks for your responses. Although I remember vomiting 4 times as a child I don't remember actually having a stomach virus. I mean if I vomited several times I don't remember doing so. Once that I vomited was probably because I had been out in the sun too long and once because I had taken an antibiotic so that leaves only twice that may have been because of a virus. I never caught a stomach virus when other members of my family had one although I was terrified every time somebody caught it. One time everybody else in my family caught it (my two sisters and parents) but me and at least my sisters had it real bad.

Wing how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm just wondering how long it's been since you were 8. To all of you who have vomited as ad adult: was it as horrible as you thought it would be or even more horrible or was it not as bad as you thought it would be? It's been such a long time since I vomited that I don't even really worry about it that much anymore. Itry to keep my hands clean and stuff butI guess I feel like it's not gonna happen since it hasn't happened in so long. I know that's not true though and I'm afraidthat if I do throw up one day thatit's gonna beso horrible.Well, I KNOW it will be.

It's certainly not comforting ifthere really are more stomach viruses going around than when I was a kid but it seems to me like I hear about them much less.My sister and my dad had onea few months ago (and thank god I wasn't home then) but other than thatnobody in our household has had one in a long time seems like.

I'm 15 =) Not an adult yet.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I never vomitted once as a child. Even my mom can't recall any incdences before I was old enough to remember.

For me, as an adult, it's always beenthe nausea that is the worst part.And also the avoidance and worrying how not to get it because I think once you actually HAVE a virus, you go into and acceptance mode. It's like"now I HAVE to deal with it" and afterwards, I think"mabey it was'nt so bad" But the next year will come around and the next set of sv*horror stories from mykids' school and I'm right back in the fear.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftette

For me, as an adult, it's always beenthe nausea that is the worst part.And also the avoidance and worrying how not to get it because I think once you actually HAVE a virus, you go into and acceptance mode. It's like"now I HAVE to deal with it" and afterwards, I think"mabey it was'nt so bad" But the next year will come around and the next set of sv*horror stories from mykids' school and I'm right back in the fear.
    I totally hear that!!
    ~Sheri~

Not any more than the average person I guess. I can recall a few "memorable" times I've gotten sick. Let's see...I remember 3-4 times I've gotten sick. =P

I can recall about...three incidents from my childhood. Haven't v- since I was eight, though.

Let's see. Once when I was 5. Don't know why. Did it in the middle of the night in my sleep.

Again when I was 9. Again, no clue why. Wasn't sick. Ate spaghetti late at night before bed, went to bed and got sick, again just once.

Again when I was 9, had strep. Just once though.

When I was 10, I had pneumonia. Got sick once (I think because of fever) and then again from coughing so hard.

I caught 2 stomach viruses between ages 12 and 14. No poops, just vomiting. Lasted a day. (actually, just through the night)

When I was 16 I either got food poisoning or a virus. Vomited 2 times in a 6 hour period, had lots of poops before I actually vomited. Felt very, very sick for hours before I had either. No fever. I was travelling. It sucked. That was the last time. I am now 27.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I *v* quite frequently as a child--usually once or twice a year until I was about 10, I guess. It seems like if there was a stomach virus anywhere around, I would catch it! I would *v* multiple times when I had a virus too. I had the worst virus when I was 12 while we were on vacation at Disney World. I *v* 13-15 times within about 12 hours. Horrible, horrible experience! After that, I didn't *v* until I was 14 and that was only one time--I think I ate too many Doritos before bed. Then I didn't *v* again until I was 18 and that was only one time too. I am almost 26 and since that time, I have had one sv with *v* and *d* and then I *v* from strep a few years ago. I just pray that when I have a child he/she is not like me!

Jess

I only v'ed 6 times that I remember and I have an excellent memory!!! (2 of the times I v'ed were the same night)--the rest of the times were single episodes!!!

Jess - what a miserable way to spend your vacation! I went to Disney World once and had a sinus infection - not fun - but I would take that over your experience anyday!

Sillygirl--It was the worst I have ever been sick. Then the night after I had it, my mom got it and *v* all night too! My poor dad--he never gets viruses, but he had to take care of us. Fortunately I have been to Disney World several times since and had no problems. I think it is probably the germ capital of the USA--so many kids and adults touching railings and stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by swiftette

For me, as an adult, it's always beenthe
    nausea that is the worst part.And also the avoidance and worrying how
    not to get it because I think once you actually HAVE a virus, you go
    into and acceptance mode. It's like"now I HAVE to deal with it" and
    afterwards, I think"mabey it was'nt so bad" But the next year will come
    around and the next set of sv*horror stories from mykids' school and
    I'm right back in the fear.

i do the SAME thing... i worry more when im n*, and then if i do v* i
    always think "hey that wasnt so bad" but then five minutes later im
    saying "oh my god what if i v* again?" and then panic mode comes... and
    lasts until i v* again, whether the same day or years later

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

The only time in my childhood that I remember being sick was when I was 15 and had the flu, as an adult the only times I have been sick were once about 10 years ago when I got drunk (I have'nt touched a drop since then) and after I went through the c-section with my youngest daughter, the medication made me sick, both those times though I was kind of out of it so I only remember it subconciously, I have had the flu as an adult but I never get it as bad as the rest of my family, usualy I just feel a little icky even when they have it full blown

ive noticed that alot of people have mentioned not V**ing since they were about 8.

that was the last time for me too!

just like most of you, i remember all of the instances i v*** when i
    was younger. it comes out to about 5 times (but i also had a virus at
    age 6 and v*** several times that day)...so probably about 12 total.

*.* you say there is no perfect place, i say i know this is true..im just learning how to smile, thats not easy to do*.*

I remember every single v episode I've ever had in my 33 years on earth.First was one time at a diner when I was 3. Next was multiple timeswhen I got ansv in kindergarten on New Year's Eve. Next was multiple times one night in second grade. I v'ed twice in eighth grade, both one time events and it was over. In twelth grade I had a very weird quick v in the middle of the nightof an orange I ate before bed. I had an sv in 1999 and v'ed several times and then in 2000 I v'ed once after a surgery. I've comeclose to v'ing aboutfour or fiveother times butmanaged to holdthe feeling back until it passed. I haven't v'ed in about 5 years now and I hope to keep it that way. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]