Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Question

SOrry if this is in any way graphic for some people

How do people **KNOW** they are about to throw up?

The only time I did it was completely unexpected. At the time I didn't even know that the dizziness I had right before it happened was part of it. All I know is that I didn't even have the slightest chance to move towards the toilet before it happened.

So how do people know?

I remember one guy sitting on my bed suddenly sat up and ran for the bathroom holding his mouth.

How did he KNOW???? How did he stop himself from doing it until the very moment he was over the toilet???

Can a person learn to control when exactly it happens? (to an extend that is) Do they feel the nausea and somehow allow their body to 'give it up'?

Is there some difinitive sign that without a doubt means that yes indeed, it is about to happen - ?

Tara

Well lets see. The last time for me was when my 8 year old was 2 and got a bugand me and my husband got it from her. All I remember is my stomach burning, then kind of a "heaviness" in my esophogus and I got very thirsty-but it was'nt like a normal thirst like if it's a real hot day or something I don't want you to panic then next time you get thirsty. Almost like My body wanted something to push that "heaviness 'back down. To me it's the nausea that is worse than the actuall v*.I was pregnant then so I don't think my body COULD controll it. I've had quite a few sv*s when I have been able to controll the not v*ing by just lying still and alittle upright. But thenauseato me is sooomuch worse.

Hi Tara...i'm like you, xcept i vomited only one when i was akid....5 years old...i'm 36 now, with 2 kids 5 and 7....i caught 1 stomach bug from them..but managed to avoid throwing up...but i did have nausea(severe) and i heaved a couple of times...but it was uncontrollable....i've heard when you have the norwalk virus the vomiting can come on without warning...you probably had that dreaded virus....i am so scared to experience nausea again...when you feel like your gonna throw up...that's causes constant anxiety..why do we have to experience the nausea?..i probably would rather throw up without the nausea...it's torture fighting the feeling...Tara, you have brothers or sisters?..i think i never got sick cause i am an only child...my son gets sick everytime my daughter does...i think you can control the feeling of throwing up..of course, depending on the virus you have...or how nauseated you are...everyone is different though...Take care....Sheri
    ~Sheri~

I agree withSheri. I could probably handle throwing up if it didn't come with the nausea. That's the worst part.

Last time I got sick (1 1/2 years ago), I had a very heavy feeling in my upper stomach and throat, along with severe nausea.A different kind of nausea than you get with nerves, eating too much, etc. I was in the hallway, but did have time to get to the bathroom. I'm pretty sure I broke out in a sweat too, but I've done that from fear and not gotten sick.

I also remember one time as a kid getting sick like four times during the night and thinking "why am I so afraid of this . . . it's no big deal." That time, I had strep throat and I'm not sure if it was all the Tylenol and antibioticsI was taking on an empty stomach or the illness itself that made me sick. The nausea wasn't nearly as intense as it is with a sv.

It could be one of those cases where everyone is different and feels something different just before, and you have to get to know your own body and how it feels.

Or maybe there is a characteristic feeling, I'm not sure. I've always heard that your mouth starts to fill up with spit.

If you are a member of any other message boards, you could pose this question there. You'd have a better chance of getting an unbiased answer there. Too many people on this board are not really sure what real nausea feels like anyway.

For me, I know that *v* is inevitable when I have a feeling of being kicked in the stomach. That is the only way I know how to describe it. My mouth also waters when it is about to happen. I'm sure that it is different for everyone though!

Jess

All I can remember is my stomach hurting so severly that it almost feels better to v* by that point because the pain is unbearable. I think that the stomach pain alone is my indicator. But I will agree, nausea is the worst!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

Oh Geez. I hate the nausea. My mouth usually starts to water really bad, and I can't swallow anymore. For me, that usually means it's coming up. It's just a really weird gross feeling. I'd rather vomit than experience the hellish nausea. It sucks.

wow..I feel like I"m going to have a panic attack just reading this!!!
    Jeez..Why do people have to V? It's got to be one of the worst feelings
    in the world...It just seems to unnatural. I'd rather s*** my brains
    out for three months then vomit once. People think I'm crazy. I've
    suffered with this for as long as I remember yet I really make an
    effect not to let it stop me from living my life. I still go on trips..
    In fact, I'm going to portugal with my boyfriend and his family in
    august. I've been to europe with friends several times. It's amzing
    though how much energy I've put into worrying about V. I hate public
    rest rooms because I always feel like the doors are going to bust open
    and someones going to come in and V everywhere...I can never relax in
    public restrooms..I perfer my own tolight believe it or not. I'm a big
    fan on starbucks becuase they have there own tolights. I gues we just
    have to try and stay in control and not loose it. Thats
    important...take deep breaths and just go with it...what choice do we
    have you konw..if it's going to happen, we can kick and scream and
    fight something that needs to comeout or we can relax, stay calm, take
    deep breaths and just deal. It's a miserable feeling--I know and I
    dread the day that it happens...Perhaps it never will happen. Wouldn't
    it be cvrazy if I went the rest of my life without doing it..All the
    time and energy i spend worrying about it and it's been years...I'm 24
    and the last time I did it I was 5. I had a sv. I've gotten Sv's since
    then but managed not to do you know what..Thank god it just cameout the
    other end...Once I took the morning after pill...My boyfriend at the
    time and I had a little accident (condom broke) and I didn't want to
    risk anything so I took the pill and got pretty sick from them but was
    able to control it somehow and it just subsided after a while..I was
    really nautious though---like REALLY nautious..Sometimes when you feel
    that way, eating helps..like having a full
    belly..bread--whatever---then again, that may send you over the
    edge..when I feel nautious, i can't seemt o sit still..I just walk
    around and panic and then sometimes the panic actually takes the nausia
    away somehow...Like I'll get a panic attack and them I'll feel
    better..thats another thing...if you get an attack, just let it run
    through you...theres nothing you can do abotu it...don't try and fight
    it..you'll get to a point where you don't know wether your going to
    s*** your brains out, V&*, or pass out...I've passed out--usually
    it's only for a few seconds but once I get back up, I feel much better.
    what sets the panic attacks off it feeling nautiious but somehow the
    attacks help with the nausia..hahaha for some strange reason...there
    are essential oils that are very calming...I like peppermint and
    lavender...I highly recommend essential oils and just speaking to
    yourself very calmly...telly ourself that you can do this--that you can
    do anything and that life won't present something that you cannot
    handle...after all, thats what lifes abotu sometimes...Overcoming
    obsticales...Also..if it's not to difficult challenge yourself a
    little...I actually forced myself to watch my friends dog V. I knew it
    was going to happen because she warned me and my initial instinct was
    to run but I didn't do that. I sat there and watched the whole thing
    and that actually helped believe it or not...slowly challenge yourself
    but be carefuly...take it easy and make sure someone you love is by
    your side and can help you through it...and don't be afraid to tell
    people. be honest..this is something that we suffer from..it's nothing
    to be ashamed of...and if people ahve a problem with it or give you a
    hardtime, F em!!!! Thats just a reflection of how immature, selfish,
    and uncompassionate they are...also humor is nice too. I have a sense
    of humor about it at times...although I take it very seriously, you
    also need a sense of humor...don't worry guys...it will be okay..i
    promise...just stay in control and know that you can do this..you can
    de

Hmm.. I am not really sure. Like, when I had food poisoning or a virus when I was eight, I suddenly sat up, like it was a reflex by my body (I was not trying to sit up) and suddenly threw up. I have never really known whenever I did it that I was going to do it. Except, on the day after I suddenly sat up and did it (it was a Thursday), I kind of knew I was going to do it. I told my daycare provider that I thought I was and she told me to go to the bathroom, and within a few minutes, the oh-so-wonderful (not!) thing happened.

People, when they are talking about what happens when the know they are going to vomit are:

-gagging (yeah, I know, duh)
    -heavy-feeling chin
    -dizziness (sometimes)
    -watery mouth
    -nausea (yeah, I know, I'm getting to the obvious here)
    -possibly wanting to lay down (I always did)
    -weird feeling in throat (I had a tingly throat the first time I did it in that illness when I was eight, but I assumed I just needed water, and the thing is, I was right next to the toilet, but I ended up making a mess in the sink)

When I had extreme nausea that time when I was eight, being the little kid I was (and still am), I thought it was hunger. But, when I was in the car, waiting for the food, I just had to lay down. Most of the time, if I have stomach pain or something and have the urge to lay down, I assume I am going to vomit.

Lizard

The only problem with listing symptoms of impending vomit on a site like this, is that those who are anxious will actually develop the symptoms as part of their panic attacks. So if you read, like, "mouth waters", then the next time you're anxious about vomiting your mouth will water. It's the crazy way our brains work.

The best you can do is spend a lot of time sitting beside toilets waiting for nothing. Then figure out your OWN body and your OWN symptoms.

If you ever have a symptom more than once that does NOT lead to vomiting, then you can cross that off your list!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage wrote:"If you ever have a symptom more than once that does NOT lead to vomiting, then you can cross that off your list!"That needs to be said on a megaphone!I think THIS STATEMENT RIGHT HERE would change lives on this site!Thank you Sage!
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Sage!! Thank you!! Is ther a microphone on this website?

Sage thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak you !!!!! Same thing my doctor says![img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

That's so true! A few months ago I read about when you get N* you salivate more so now I'm always freaked out about how much saliva is in my mouth. I always try to see if it's too much...I try to judge it...it's weird. Anyway it's true because of those symptoms. I haven't V*ed in 7 years...knock on wood...and I hope I never am again. I have Severe Acid Reflux and a Hiatal Hernia so I have regurgitation...that's where food comes up my throat but goes back down before I can Vomit...or at least I won't LET myself Vomit it up. I gag a lot too but I won't let the food come up there's no way in HELL that's going to happen.

Getting back to my point, Sage is right about symptoms. Also I would like to say that when I go to bed at night I always pray that if I have to Vomit that it'll be quick and painless...I can't stand all the nausea!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

When I get nausea it completely takes over. I can't concentrate on anything else, my mind's totally focused on willing myself NOT to v****.

*Sarah*Edited by: pinkdrummer