Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Car driving and riding predicament.... any ideas?

As of August, it seems every time I get in the car to go anywhere, after 10 minutes of riding around, I get nauseous and extremely panicky and think I'm gonna be carsick. I've never once had a problem actually V* in the car, (praying I didn't just jinx myself) but it seems lately I get to feel very sick after 10-15 minutes of being in a vehicle. It's come to the point where when asked if I want to go anywhere or do anything, I say no. I've been a shut in except for my therapist and my job, both of which I can walk to, otherwise I'd have neither! I'm wondering how the heck I can make it so it's safe for me to ride in the car again, because my Mom's out of sympathy, she says to grow a pair of balls and get in the car, but we ALL know it's waaaaay easier said than done, because we've all got our mondo big issues here. I'm just not really sure, I'm tired of being stuck in the house, but at the same time, riding in the car immediately flips a N* trigger and I have a horrible panic attack about V* on the side of the road or the car because so far, it seems nothing is helping. I've gotten a bag of gingersnaps to eat, and I try to relax but I just can't. Mom wants me to go clothes shopping with her, but I have to keep telling her no, that there's other stuff keeping me home, like the ride.
    Any suggestions??? thank you!!

Default Re: Car driving and riding predicament.... any ideas?

I feel carsick sometimes if I'm not in the front seat, or if I read in the car. I've found that blowing cool air on your face helps, such as windows down or the AC. There is another trick that works well too. Focus on something in front of you far away, as far as you can see. Just stare at that one point until it gets close, then shift to another far away.

I hope this helps!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Mom is FORCING me to go to the mall with her today. A couple months ago I would've been thrilled but now because of this carsick thing, I'm terrified. The mall is 35 minutes from my house. She thinks I make up the carsick thing and I'm bullshitting her and that I need to stop playing around. I wish I weren't playing. Her driving accommodations for me are a garbage bag for V* and a tums, and her speech to "suck it the fuck up and get in the car". I always sit in the front seat passenger side. I can't get one of the pressure point bracelets at the local store, and from what I've heard they don't work anyways. I'm just going to try not to go today.... there's literally no joy in leaving the house anymore, I don't even want to. I just want to stay safe at home.
    Last edited by RosieRoo; 10-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.

I'm the same if I'm in the back but focusing on the horizon really helps and so does having the window down. Also turning up the radio and singing along always takes my mind off it! Might be worth talking to your docs too. I have an anti-anxiety tablet called propanolol that I can take before a situation where I think i'm going to panic. It works quite fast and does help to take the edge off. I hope you went. I'm at the pretty much not leaving the house stage right now and it sucks a lot!

Hey Rosie
    There's a device called a Relief Band that I swear by. It looks like a watch and you wear it on your wrist. It sends electrical pulses through your wrist and somehow tricks your brain into not recognizing the movement of being in the car. I never used to get carsick up until about 15 years ago when I got a concussion from a car accident. Since then if I'm in the car for longer than 45 mins or an our I start getting really queasy, sweaty, etc. I use my Releif Band whenever I travel and combine it with Bonine which is an OTC motion sickness med. I can get by with using only one or the other but using both together helps much more.
    Put it this way-I made it through a 12 hour flight from Az to London, multiple hours-long car drives, flights from Az to the Bahamas and Jamaica separately using this combo and have been just fine.
    The only thing is that the relief bands are around $100 but the Bonine can be purchased at any drug store for about $5. Plus the Bonine are chewable (they kinda taste like a baby aspirin), are non -drowsy and last 24 hours. You may want to check them out.
    As for your mom-she's not trying to be cruel. She doesn't understand what you are dealing with and is trying in her own way to help take your mind off things. Hopefully you two will be able to get a better communication going. I think she means well but isn't doing a good job at conveying it. I know it's difficult but it's not a bad idea sometimes to push yourself out of your comfort zone sometimes-it helps to reinforce to your brain that you CAN and SHOUlD leave the house and have fun.
    Good luck
    Jennifer

Well, I did go to the mall today..... I cried the whole way there because I was so scared of feeling sick in the car, and I swore, right before we pulled up to the stores I was going to throw up, or so I though.... so for about a half hour I was feeling really sick and worried, but then it got better, I wandered around, spent a lotta money and had a good time except for worrying about the ride home, which was a little queasy but not bad. I'm not exactly looking forward to doing that again soon, but it wasn't a suicide march....

Hurrah! Good for you for going! Am well impressed :-)

thanks kam now that I'm home I'm mostly okay, although, I just scarfed a bunch of tortilla chips and my stomach hurts..... probably gas.....

Hooray for shopping!!!!
    There's nothing like a good dose of retail therapy. Shopping is my all time favorite thing to do.
    Just think, now you have extra incentive to leave the house so you can show off all your awesome new stuff
    Good for you for taking a chance-every time you push yourself a little more and more, it's like a big "eff you" to emet!
    Jennifer

Hah, jmoore, it was hardly me taking a chance, my Mom gave me no option! I was terrified the whole way.... I've got a couple new things to wear, and some much needed face stuff, I've declared war on this HUGE pimple on my face..... I was fairly relaxed today. Still not rushing to the car to do it again soon, but, it was okay.