Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is anyone else like this?

I imagine it is quite normal but I'm not sure. I would really love to begin the desensitization process on IES. I have tried to do it before and the actual pictures is what got me. I cannot stand other people vomiting (sound, smell, sight, texture, etc.) because it makes me truly nauseated due to the 'yuck factor' if you will. I also cannot really stand to clean up my cats'/dogs' vomit. I begin gagging. I cannot handle vomit scenes in movies that well (unless it is terribly unrealistic). However, if it is realistic, I cannot do it because I feel the urge to vomit myself. Then it just replays in my head for hours or even days when other non phobics would just let it go and move on. Most emets, at least from what I've read anyway, fear viewing vomit scenes/pictures because it exacerbates their anxiety causing them to think they're going to catch an illness somehow. That's not my issue. I have a relatively weak stomach and I just cannot handle how utterly disgusting it is. I truly want to work in the medical field and I would love to begin this process of desensitizing myself. I just am nervous I will make myself sick in the process :/
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 10-28-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Default Re: Is anyone else like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    I have had many many conversations with people in different areas of the medical field. Everyone has something that makes them queasy. For some it is eye gunk, some trach secretions, some snot, some poop. Some nurses have to take deep breaths while cleaning v.....

I wish I could figure out how to desenstize myself. One day when my mom went to get the mail. My sister did it and I joined her. She came back from getting the mail to 2 messes. That was so long ago.

You tube videos???? There are even some with celebrities.

I got better with my cats over time. Others are still a problem.

There was something recently about the owner of this site on WGN. There is a locked thread about it. Not totally sure what all the controversy was about, but I think it might relate to the program or the persons background or something.

Gotta ask, doesn't it happen at your job with all of the drunks. What do you do then?

I quit...for good this time. It happened pretty frequently but they always made it to the toilet so it was never really an issue. I was paranoid I would catch something because well let's be honest, that place was a cesspool.

About you and your sister...yeah, an identical experience with my younger sister when I was 11 years old or so. She vomited and I followed suit. However, we were both genuinely ill but her vomiting in front of me is definitely what set it off :/ She had a friend over several nights before awoke in the night with a vomiting virus at our house. That was not a pleasant experience and it is still burned into my memory.
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    In my head there are some places that I think are just p... central. I imagine that grade schools, pediatrician offices, tilt a whirls, and bars are full of it. You would not think a grocery store would have it, but it happens more than you think. Then I think if it happens at a grocery store, then it must happen all the time in other places, and so on, and so on, next thing you know I am convincing myself not to go out. Semi hermit.

Sympathy v..... is what they call us. I do not have a major panic attack if I am going to do it, but I do not like it anad get nervous.

Kudos to you for taking the least amount of meds possible.
    I freak right the fuck out...

Thank you...I try really hard but sometimes I feel a very intense urge so I definitely know how it feels.
    My shadow

I used to be extremely sensitive to seeing/hearing/ smelling vomit. I would instantly gag. However, it doesn't bother me anymore and here's why: I have 3 little ones. I have been spewed on so many times in the last 3 years that I have lost count. At first I would gag and puke myself, but then I somehow got desensitized to it. However when I see or hear strangers wrenching, I am repulsed and I immediately gag.