Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can't seem to control the fear

Hi, like most if not all people I also suffer with emetophobia and dread this time of year! I had therapy last year but it didnt have the impact I wanted or needed. I am again starting to get all the panicky feelings and as much as I want to be excited about Christmas I can't just encase...does anyone have any good ideas that have worked because the constant washing of my hands and not putting my hands in my mouth doesn't seem to work and now I'm angry at all the people who don't wash their hands after they've been to the toilet...ultimately it's those people that cause the problem!!?

Default Re: Can't seem to control the fear

Hello, I'm the same exact way!! But i can honestly say its getting better every year!! Like you said, I wash my hands allll the time. Especially before I eat! And at work if I know someone was sick I use bleach water and clean everything!!! I watch everyone else and I always notice their habits, touching their mouths with their unwashed hands or hugging the person that was or still is sick etc etc. Well, if that person gets sick then I know I need to get nervous because I took all precautions including women's one a day vit and drinking orange juice like no other lol. I also try to keep my mind occupied at night. You could watch tv, read a book, look thru a magazine. Personally, since my anxiety gets worse at night, I like to get on this forum and read, it gives me courage and it helps me sleep at night more relaxed and less fearful. I hope this helps you. Keep your head up. There is plenty of people on here to get you through this winter season!

Default Re: Can't seem to control the fear

Yeah it does! It's made me smile that you "people watch" aswell because I do the exact thing, if someone coughs I look round or if I hear a sneeze I hold my breath! It's draining and tiring though isn't it, it's like my every move is monitored by myself just to make sure I'm not putting my hands to my mouth etc! It's worse at night for me too and especially because I worry my partner will be ill, even when he moves in his sleep I worry he's moving because he feels sick! Have you had any kind of therapy or treatment other than vitamins etc?