Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Drug Recall

Did anyone else hear about the huge drug recall? The manufacturer named Able had every single drug they make recalled. Well, apparently the prescription I have for Phenergan is part of it. I called the pharmacy and all they can do is refund the money but not exchange the prescription unless I talk to a doctor. The prescription is for my husband from a sv last January. I wanted to keep it, especially since there is a girl at work who has a sv. Now I don't know what to do. None of the pills have ever been taken, but I am afraid that I will get sick from the girl at work and need to take it. I doubt I can get another prescription from the doctor for a "just in case" scenario. What do I do?! If I feel n*, do I risk it and take the pills? Do I dump them out and hope for the best? What do you think? Please give me some advice!!!

That happened with my Remeron, I have to see my doctor about it next week.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

What should I do? I'm freaking out now about the sv at work. I was doing okay with it, really feeling like I probably won't get it, but now I am scared that if I do I can't take anything. That's making me think that I will get it. And since it seems to have such a long incubation period, I am going to be worried for a week!

What is the recall for? I take phenergan too!!

<3 Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I havent heard about this. Maybe they are just recalling a certain batch (so to speak) of phenagren, know what I mean? That is such a widely used drug, I wonder why they would recall it? I hope it isnt true. Someone better come out with somthing just as good, if they are pulling it off the market for permanatly.

i would check the date on the recall, they may be recalling products produced after a certain date, in which case, if your pills are a year old, you should be safe. first thing i would do is look further into the recall and get the full story

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    P05-26
    May 27, 2005
    Media Inquiries:Brad Stone
    301-827-6242

Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA Advises Consumers about Recalled Drugs from Able Laboratories
    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is taking action to ensure that the public is fully aware that Able Laboratories of Cranbury, NJ, is conducting a nationwide recall of all of its manufactured drugs (mostly generic prescription drugs, including drugs containing acetaminophen) because of serious concerns that they were not produced according to quality assurance standards. Able Laboratories has ceased all current production.

"The FDA continues to evaluate the situation at Able Laboratories to determine the safety and quality of their products and will update the public on our findings as necessary," said Margaret O'K. Glavin, Associate Commissioner for Regulatory Affairs. "In the meantime, the Agency recommends that people who have been taking drugs produced by this firm speak with their health care provider or pharmacist to obtain a replacement drug product. Consumers should continue taking the medication until they have spoken with their health care provider. In many cases the risk of suddenly stopping needed medication before getting replacement drugs may outweigh the risk of continuing to use the recalled products."

The list below provides the names of the recalled drugs and their imprint codes. Imprints are marks (usually letters and numbers) found on the surfaces of drugs. If you have one of the drugs listed below with one of the corresponding imprint codes, your drug is covered by the Able Laboratories recall.

Liquid products that are being recalled can be identified by the lot numbers printed on their packaging.

It is important to note that this recall only applies to the drugs produced by Able Laboratories -- and not to the same drugs produced by other manufacturers.

This is from the FDA's website. I think they make the generic forms of some drugs. That is what it sounds like to me, someone tell me if I am wrong.

My Phenergan are from Wyeth company, guess I'm safe. I'll have to check my other (many) meds...

Their phenergan isn't on the list of recalled drugs. So you're safe. Here's the full list.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2005/NEW01182.html

So it doesn't sound too terribly urgent, so I am confused. I am really freaking out about the girl that is sick still, so I don't know what I will do. I will keep them with me just in case. I was really hungry so I ate a little bit, but now my stomach is starting to hurt. Probably nerves, but I am worried. I think it was probably rotavirus . . .

How do you all get Phenergan prescriptions? Do your doctor's give them to you because of the phobia or do you just get them when someone in the family gets a sv?

From the way I read this article, Phenagren is still being made, this company makes the generic form. It is the generic form they are recalling because the company (Abel) that makes it, is not meeting the FDA's standards.

My doctor will give me a presciption for phenagren, because she does know about my phobia. I usually only call for it when someone I know has been sick, like my children, hubby, ect .........

I haven't heard about this. I ALWAYS have Phenergan on hand. I just got a prescription filled for my husband about a month ago. I do not take it unless absolutely necessary because your body can become "immune" to it if you take it too often. But, I have learned that it is still pretty effective even when it is expired. I have a prescription at home that expired last year and I have taken it recently and it worked just like it always has.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, sillygirl. Phenergan is a wonderful drug and great to have around, especially if you are an emet!

Jess

My phenergan are suppositories(says g&w lab on it)I got when my 8 yr oldwas ill a couple months ago.I always have a script. of compazine on hand for myself because my Dr. knows about my phobia.