Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inconsiderate people!

I Was shopping in sainsburys today and a girl walked passed me saying ''oh she has been being sick all day'' i was fine intill i heard that an ever since i have gone into extreme panic, As soon as i got in i washed my hands in HOT water that i now have a blister from it, I Am so scared i will now have a bug, I know her friend could of had a hangover but i am litreally sat here crying my eyes out! Hate people who openly talk about them ill or there friends!

Default Re: Inconsiderate people!

I know it..... I hate it too!! Even worse, I hate it when people are still sick and they're out telling people they're sick, and should be at home!! And I hate parents that send their kids to school sick too.... ugh. If you're sick, quarantine yourself and hide out until you're better. No running around feeling sick and getting other people sick, no leaving the house until you're better. But that's just kinda my obsession is keeping sick people away from me and everybody else really. About today's situation, first of all, you can't get sick just from a sick person walking past you. Second of all, the person walking by wasn't the sick one, whoever the "she" that this person was talking about was sick, so the chances of you getting sick from a friend of a sick person that only walked past you is well under 3%. It's just, impossible. Especially for a tummy bug. If you were to catch that, the person that walked past you would've had to V* on your feet as she was walking by, and even then, you would probably be in the clear because you never touched the V*. But hun, none of it happened. Just breathe and know that this is impossible. There's no way you could catch a bug from the friend of a sick person walking past you, and you certainly cannot catch anything by somebody mentioning that they're sick either. Breathe hun

I know! It is so rude when people go places sick, especially work abd school. They need to stay home and recooperate, not infect everyone else!

I'm not sure I understand the story here. She was with someone who was ill or she was ill? Whatever the case, you really cannot avoid ill people. They are everywhere. I used to become irrationally angry at times when I learn that ill people are out in public infecting everyone. However, it really is simply irrational. It is not always practical to quarantine yourself when you are sick. People have lives and the world does not stop turning just because you are sick. There are responsibilities people have to uphold. As long as you take the proper measures (NOT extreme ones) to avoid it (hand washing) then you will be fine. That being said, it really grinds my gears when people are not considerate about it. Is it really that damn hard to cover your mouth when you cough? I'd reckon not. I always cough into my forearm, never my hand, to avoid spreading germs. It's just common courtesy which so many people don't understand or just do not give a flying fuck (excuse my language lol)
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 11-02-2012 at 02:56 AM.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

I am also a little confused... The girl you walked by was telling someone that SHE was sick all day? Or was it someone she knew who was sick? And honestly, I don't think she was being inconsiderate at all. First off, you were listening to a conversation she was having wth someone else and not you.... Secondly, perhaps the person she was with was asking where that person was. Doesn't really matter what the reason, but I think you are being quite irrational in expecting people to have conversations around you that you will find "acceptable."

Bless you, I'm exactly the same it makes me so angry when people say that, who the hell cares!!! The horrible thing is those people don't know what it's like to fear what they have, and don't realise what it does to others, lets just hope that she has a fear of spiders and is swarmed this year! Your not in your own, i'm sat in a doctors surgery and am having to concentrate on not thinking too much about the people coughing around me!! It's hard but youl be fine just keep washing your hands before you touch your mouth and you should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom73 View Post
    I am also a little confused... The girl you walked by was telling someone that SHE was sick all day? Or was it someone she knew who was sick? And honestly, I don't think she was being inconsiderate at all. First off, you were listening to a conversation she was having wth someone else and not you.... Secondly, perhaps the person she was with was asking where that person was. Doesn't really matter what the reason, but I think you are being quite irrational in expecting people to have conversations around you that you will find "acceptable."
    This. Someone is NOT inconsiderate because they talk about someone being sick. People are entitled to have whatever conversations they please, and the world doesn't stop turning when someone is sick, people can't just put life on hold. It doesn't make them inconsiderate. I don't get it.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I dont think that's going to help very much! yes your right its peoples choice if they want to tell people they've been sick all day but its not something everyone wants to hear. Its not like she said shes having a tooth out! I see it from both sides but someone who has a fear of spiders wont want to know there is a massive spider in their bedroom...its the same thing.
    Thats my opinion anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Solliffe View Post
    Bless you, I'm exactly the same it makes me so angry when people say that, who the hell cares!!! The horrible thing is those people don't know what it's like to fear what they have, and don't realise what it does to others, lets just hope that she has a fear of spiders and is swarmed this year! Your not in your own, i'm sat in a doctors surgery and am having to concentrate on not thinking too much about the people coughing around me!! It's hard but youl be fine just keep washing your hands before you touch your mouth and you should be ok
    You are wishing a swarm of spiders on someone was was having a conversation with someone else, and someone happened to hear it? Honestly, how can you get angry or call someone inconciderate for a having a conversation with SOMEONE ELSE. Yes, they don't know other's fears. There are people who fear clowns, so, should I NEVER metion the circus in case those people are around? Cmon people...this is ridiculous

I didnt say they were inconsiderate at all, like I said people have the right to say what they want where and when i dont disagree with that all. its just not the most pleasant of things to hear if the one thing you fear the most is around us all the time. I just see why maggyxmoo got a bit upset and think that if someone is voicing their concerns on a site like this, no one should be made to feel stupid for what they consider a real thing. You may be at a different stage then her/him and that sort of thing doesn't bother you but it does some people. im not on here to argue with anyone but it makes me feel like i cant say my fears encase someone else disagrees and makes me feel stupid.

Theres always going to be someone that disagrees with you. It wasn't my intention to make them feel stupid, but I don't feel like it's a matter of someone being at a different stage in recovery, it's that people are ALWAYS going to have conversations about things that we don't like, and I'm sure the OP has had conversations that have upset other people, too. I know for sure that I have, but I'd be super pissed if I knew someone was calling me inconsiderate for having a conversation that they weren't even involved with.

Some people are afraid of dogs. Maybe I shouldn't walk my dog anymore. That would be inconsiderate and someone might wish for me to be swarmed by vomiting strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4077girl View Post
    Some people are afraid of dogs. Maybe I shouldn't walk my dog anymore. That would be inconsiderate and someone might wish for me to be swarmed by vomiting strangers.
    LOL! OMG, Ican't stop laughing

I didnt say they were inconsiderate at all, like I said people have the right to say what they want where and when i dont disagree with that all. its just not the most pleasant of things to hear if the one thing you fear the most is around us all the time. I just see why maggyxmoo got a bit upset and think that if someone is voicing their concerns on a site like this, no one should be made to feel stupid for what they consider a real thing. You may be at a different stage then her/him and that sort of thing doesn't bother you but it does some people. im not on here to argue with anyone but it makes me feel like i cant say my fears encase someone else disagrees and makes me feel stupid.
    I didn't call anyone stupid, I called them irrational. And I stick by it. You are talking about control strangers cnversation with one another. Noone is saying you cant state your fears. but honestly, you can't point a finger at some stranger and call them inconsiderate for 1. Not knowing your fear 2. Having a conversation with someone else that you overheard.

I agree, i suppose all i was trying to was make her feel better even though what this person said in sainsburys wasn't in anyway wrong. I just know that if i put something on here that i needed help with id be a bit deflated if i got that response. I have only been on here since yesterday so haven't really had the chance to see any other conversations like that so i guess i didnt realise!

I didnt say you called anyone stupid! thats how i would feel is what i meant. I completely agree with you on the fact this person wasnt in anyway wrong and like i said im not here to argue! but the person who posted had her reasons for saying it and all i wanted to do was make her feel better even if what she said was a little irrational.

I agree, i suppose all i was trying to was make her feel better even though what this person said in sainsburys wasn't in anyway wrong. I just know that if i put something on here that i needed help with id be a bit deflated if i got that response. I have only been on here since yesterday so haven't really had the chance to see any other conversations like that so i guess i didnt realise!
    I understand she may be upset and you wanted to make her feel better. However, I don't think it helps someone realize they are being irrational just by aggreeing with them. As for someone making the comment "Oh, she has been sick all day." Honesty, a strange saying this should not cause any panic. Everyday,, every minutre somewhere, I am sure there is someone sick with something. Who knows, the person the stranger was talking about could be going through chemo, which has made her sick. PEople will always get sick. When they call out of work they say "I can't come in because I am sick" So, honestly, it really isn't a bad statement to make to in public.

Maybe I come across a little harsh, but I think we the only way we are going to help one another overcome or learn to live with this phobia is by pushing each other and not just saying "its ok..." I have irrational thoughts all the time, and it helpsme when my friends tell me to "cut the crap and stop being silly"

I didnt say you called anyone stupid! thats how i would feel is what i meant. I completely agree with you on the fact this person wasnt in anyway wrong and like i said im not here to argue! but the person who posted had her reasons for saying it and all i wanted to do was make her feel better even if what she said was a little irrational.
    Soliffe, I am not arguing with you. I think a lot of people on here need to realize that just because I may I find something incorrect does not mean I am arguing with you. People can have different views on a subject, and just because they don't agree does not mean they want to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom73 View Post
    I understand she may be upset and you wanted to make her feel better. However, I don't think it helps someone realize they are being irrational just by aggreeing with them. As for someone making the comment "Oh, she has been sick all day." Honesty, a strange saying this should not cause any panic. Everyday,, every minutre somewhere, I am sure there is someone sick with something. Who knows, the person the stranger was talking about could be going through chemo, which has made her sick. PEople will always get sick. When they call out of work they say "I can't come in because I am sick" So, honestly, it really isn't a bad statement to make to in public.

Maybe I come across a little harsh, but I think we the only way we are going to help one another overcome or learn to live with this phobia is by pushing each other and not just saying "its ok..." I have irrational thoughts all the time, and it helpsme when my friends tell me to "cut the crap and stop being silly"
    This is so true. I have two lots of friends, those who coddle me when I'm panicking and tell me "oh, it's okay, everythings fine..." and those who will tell me "Okay, you need to cut it out, be rational." The two friends who do the latter are the ones I think are better for me to be around when I'm panicking, they further my recovery a lot.

ok well i think that's the end of that one then! im sure we'll see each others responses else where and sometimes we may agree, other times we may not! Well i need to clean up toddler crap now which i love so very much so thanks for being honest and im sure we'll speak (you know what i mean) again soon.

ok well i think that's the end of that one then! im sure we'll see each others responses else where and sometimes we may agree, other times we may not! Well i need to clean up toddler crap now which i love so very much so thanks for being honest and im sure we'll speak (you know what i mean) again soon.
    My son used to poop so much it would come up his back to his neck.......ewwwwwwwwwwww.

It's lovely isn't it!! My daughter just turned 2 so i thought I'd attemp to potty train, turns out she'd rather crap on the floor so there's plenty more of it I can imagine! How old is your son? if he's potty trained do you have any tips!?

I have twins, they are 11. I think 2 years old is a bit early, but every child is different. Actually potty training them was easy. Once my daughter did it, my son followed her! Whenever I went to the bathroom, I would take them in with me, when I would sit on the toilet, they would sit on their little potty training ones. When I would pee, I would tell them what I was doing, and a lot of times they would do it to. Same thing with poop. I know it sounds kind of gross to have my kids with me in the bathroom, but by watching that mommy did it that way, they did it too.

Yeah a few people have said its a bit early but if I introduce her to it early I'm hoping she'll catch on! Not looking too hopefull I have to say. If it works why not I may steal the idea from you to be honest! This is a random question but when your kids are ill, does it make you panic or do you not think about it? It doesn't bother me when she's sick because all I want to do it help her but when she's back in bed, the panic takes over and I think now I'm next, how do you cope?

Yeah a few people have said its a bit early but if I introduce her to it early I'm hoping she'll catch on! Not looking too hopefull I have to say. If it works why not I may steal the idea from you to be honest! This is a random question but when your kids are ill, does it make you panic or do you not think about it? It doesn't bother me when she's sick because all I want to do it help her but when she's back in bed, the panic takes over and I think now I'm next, how do you cope?
    My son once puked in the car right next to me when I was driving (he warned me but I couldt pull over quick enough) Once we were pulled over, I rubbed his back, and asked if he felt better. I was alittle freaked, but wasnt bad. The next day my daughter had it, but with both of them, they only threw up a few times, then it was diarrhea and queasiness. I cleaned my car, took care of the kids, and I don't even know if I washed my hands between everything. I didnt get it. Now they are older so they can handle themselves better now.
    My son wasnt feeling well the other night and next day, and I managed to sleep through the night and not freak aboutit. He ended up with the runs, but that was about it. It gets easier as they get older.

I suppose children get little bugs that don't necessarily pass on to us anyway which I'm holding onto That for now! Have you had emetophobia long? I say it like its a disease but you know what I mean!

Yes, a long time, but it has gotten much better. I can see it on TV and videos, and can hear someone doing it without it really bothering me.

I wish I was where you are, I'v only had it just over 2 years and I can't stand anything to do with it unless its my daughter it's strange. Did you get any help or is it something that faded over time?

I wish I was where you are, I'v only had it just over 2 years and I can't stand anything to do with it unless its my daughter it's strange. Did you get any help or is it something that faded over time?

I forced myself to face it and not run away when it happened or when it was on TV. After a while I found it wasnt so hard....

If I had the will power if do that too but I'm not quite at that stage! Im still up for running away instead of facing it although it makes me miserable but knowing it possible makes me feel better.