Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Hi All,

How did you guys get phenegran? How do you ask for it. My psychiatrist says he cant prescribe it to me. I asked my gynocologist, and she would only prescribe a prescription for vitamins for pregnant women that supposed to stop nausea. I know those dont stop v. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would go to my Primary Care Physician and tell him/her about the phobia. Tell them you are in counseling to work on and need the phenergran as a crutch to help you through. Tell him/her it will prevent panic attacks.

My family doctor knows about my phobia and she prescribes it for me. I usually only ask for it when someone in my house has been sick. When one of my children has been sick, she calls some in for the children and me. Ask your family doc to prescribe you some. I also have a cousin who's wife is a doctor, so I can call on her too.

Have you guys still V after using phen.?

I have the same question - Is Phenergran really effective??

I think you can still v* if on phenergran, but it makes it a heck of alot less likely. If you ONLY take it infrequently, it will probably work. Like someone else said, if you take it all the time, you will become immune.

Actually, and I hate to say this, but I did v* one time after taking phenagren, but I think I waited too late. I had been feeling crappy all day, and should have took it when I woke up feeling bad, instead of 6 hours later. I didnt take it when I first got up because I thought it was just morning sickness and that it would get better as the day went on, like it usually did. My youngest daughter had v* after we gave her a suppository, but I think that was only because we werent giving her the highest dose. Our doc thought she had given us the 25mg, when she had given us the 12.5mg. We were cutting the 12.5 mg in half, so I dont think she was getting enough to help her. When they gave it to her in the ER, she never v* again. I guess some meds may not work as well for some people as they do others. The are other things your doc can prescribe besides phenagren.

I have Zofran, phenergan, reglan, and compazine (have lots of stomach
    problems, different doctors have written different scripts for
    each). I have to take reglan 4 times a day to digest food, but
    compazine works the best for me. I find phenergan relative
    ineffective. It's basically a strong antihisitimine, just like
    taking benadryl. If you were nauseous because of motion sickness,
    it'd be great for that.

The doctor that I used to work for prescribes it for me because she knows that I like to have it around just in case. She knows that I don't abuse it either, so she is more willing to give it to me. A 30 day supply usually lasts me well over a year.

I have always found Phenergan to be quite effective in both myself and others. The pills and suppositories are good to have at home, but if you do start *v* an injection usually works the best. The last time I was *v* from strep, I was given a 50mg shot of Phenergan and literally within 5 minutes I was knocked out. I slept for 5-6 hours that day, but the nausea and *v* was gone! I have never *v* after taking Phenergan, but like Jennyleigh said, you shouldn't wait too late to take it. I have found that for me, it usually takes 30-45 minutes for the pills to work. The suppositories seem to work quicker than that.

As Chippedaway said, Phenergan does have an antihistamine property to it so it more or less dries everything in your body up. I think it would benefit any emet to always have Phenergan or another anti-emetic on hand at all times!

Jess