Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New to this forum, not to Emet. Need some support.

Hi all. I have had emet for 20 years, and it's gone through cycles but is worse in the winter. Today my 3 year old daughter came down with the stomach flu, which is my all time worst fear as a parent. I've been exposed, and I have a very good chance of catching it, as well as the rest of our family. I'm terrified and stressed, and I know I won't sleep a wink tonight. Anyone else up worrying? The good news is, I do have prescription Zofran on hand, which I have had very good luck with in the past, so I will be taking it if I feel sick. I'm hoping this will be a good community to connect with others who are like me! /: I'm out of my mind with worry right now.

Melissa

Default Re: New to this forum, not to Emet. Need some support.

welcome to the forum. hope your little one is feeling better and asleep by now.

i don't have any kids......just worrying about my husband getting sick or bringing home germs is enough worry for me .....there are lots of moms on here though .......so i'm sure lots of advice will show up.

i've found great comfort and help here at ies.....just knowing that i wasn't alone made my life seem easier....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks! Thank goodness she has been asleep for the past 7 hours, with no more *v for the last 8+ hours. But I am here, awake and worrying. Every single twinge of my stomach "is that the *n coming on? Uh oh, is that it?" I have barley had a thing to eat the last 12 hours, so I know a lot of my aches and pains right now is hunger, but I'm terrified to eat. /:

Hey there, I don't have kids either but I have a roommate who is as likely to get sv (and other viruses) as a toddler due to putting her hands in her face and mouth without washing them. Actually she got sick last monday with an sv so I know what you're going through. It's not a death sentence though, you might still be able to avoid it if you're careful about sanitizing contaminated surfaces properly. From what I heard, the virus stays infectious for 12 hours on non-porous surfaces and for 12 days on porous surfaces. The best way to kill it is bleach (either a diluted solution or 2% cleaner in a spray bottle). For other surfaces (like wood floors) you can use non-diluted lysol. Steaming works nicely for carpets and other upholstery, if you have the equipment for that. If you use that to clean after every episode of sickness, chances are you'll avoid it. I get through the whole countdown of possible exposure time and am unable to eat much during that time as well. I actually made an excel spreadsheet to check how far along I am since exposure (silly,I know). Maybe you can eat something like soda crackers, they're easily digested and they calm the hunger nausea. Just hang in there and wash your hands often and you might avoid it!

My other daughter and husband have it now. I am on the verge every moment. I've been taking zofran, it's helping me hold back. But I don't think I can hold on much longer. I'm praying the zofran does it's job.

Oh no maybe you will avoid being sick, Zofran is supposed to be pretty effective. I read stories of people on here who avoided it by taking that so I hope you'll be able to get through it with that! It usually lasts 24 hours so if you can manage to fight for that long you should be fine. Hang in there, hope everything goes well!

Thanks! I made it through the night, and I know it was only due to the zofran. Now I am sipping on tea and eating popsicles, I'm so thirsty from the fever all night, but afraid to take it too fast.

Hi there, just to let you know you're not alone... You've done so well to get this far When you have an emet crisis like this, it feels like the worst thing that could happen and it's terrifying, like life has stopped as you know it, but you know you have to get through it somehow, yet if feels overwhelmingly difficult. I completely understand the horror you're facing, and how isolating it is and presumably your family, although they may be aware you have emet - are dealing with the bug quite well emotionally themselves, particularly your husband I am guessing, just like any other minor illness (though perhaps your little 3 year old may be in distress but she will bounce back quickly, kids are remarkable like that!) - but meanwhile you're in a total state. I've been there before... the good news is you've got the people on this forum 24/7... I can quite honestly say this place has got me through the hardest points. And everytime I come out that little bit stronger - and so can you darling, I promise you.

You have done as much as you can in in terms of avoiding the bug (aside from leaving the house for a few days but that's unfeasible for several reasons and wouldn't decrease your chances of getting it at this late stage) - so, as hard as this is to hear, you have to allow nature to take it's course. I don't mean give in to getting the bug, but accept you've done what you can and now accept you can't do anymore, so sit tight and be the brave person you know you are. I personally think you won't get it, if you haven't done by now. Also I can tell you from personal experience that people with emetophobia often, because of psychological reasons, build up a tolerance to being exposed to v* germs, and even if they do get a bug, have a little bit more control over whether they v* than people without emetophobia. That's just my opinion but I think it's true - I've had emet most of my life (I'm 21) and I have v* twice since I was 9, which is a very low number compared to the average person. Also, and this is why I know what you're going through, a few months ago my boyfriend and my stepson had a sickness bug, I of course was in great distress as you have been - and yes, I did catch it - BUT I didn't v*. I felt sick and had the temperature etc, but I did not v* because I convinced myself I wasn't going to. You too have the same willpower. Do not under-estimate the power of positive thinking; besides which, the more optimistic you can trick yourself into feeling, the less anxious you will feel which in turn WILL reduce your nausea. I can guarantee you that the majority of your nausea now is anxiety, again, from personal experience. On the other hand, and I know plenty of emetophobic people will agree, the reality is is that, and I've come to accept this now, nausea is WORSE than v*. The anticipation of v* is very distressing and can go on for hours or days - but the actual act of v* is over very very very quickly, so quickly you don't have time to process it or even be upset about it. And 9 times out of 10 it DOES relieve the horrible feeling that is nausea. You probably know all of this darling but you need to tell yourself this now in this situation. When I was in hospital with a kidney infection and suffered v*, I can honestly say the nausea was more upsetting than the actual v*. I also think it's good to put a positive spin on v* too - tell yourself that your body is doing it's job properly if it v*. I know it's little consolation, but it's so much better your body is getting rid of whatever germ it has than if it didn't, because if it didn't you would be so much more ill, or, touch wood, not alive, however dramatic that sounds.

Sorry if I have come across as patronising, that's not my intention, just willing you to get through and consider the thoughts that have brought me comfort in the past - I hope that those thoughts can comfort you too.

On a practical level, one thing that always helps with nausea is sipping lukewarm water (yes it sounds crazy but my friend's doctor recommended it for morning sickness, and strangely it works better than ice cold water), and (this will sound crazy too) stick your head out the window for some good old-fashioned fresh air. At this time of year our houses get so stuffy from having the heating on. It will relieve your nausea AND fresh air will discourage the breeding of germs in your house. Motillium (over the counter drug) is brilliant - and if you feel like you can eat, Marmite, bananas, ready salted crisps, dry crackers, burnt toast or even a sip of flat diet coke or lemonade are all amazing and will give you the energy your body desperately needs.

Private message me anytime. YOU CAN DO THIS! Emily xx

Finally came back to this post! Thank you for all the support! I did end up making it through the sickness without v*. Thank goodness! And for several weeks I wasn't afraid of someone catching it, because I felt like we had it and made it through and wouldn't catch it again. But now it has been 2+ months without it, so I am starting to worry again someone will catch it. I feel like I am getting worse with my fear since having kids and realizing there are so many ways for them to catch it and bring it home! I hate the worry and fears.