Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: dry hands?

Question dry hands?

Does anyone else have really dry hands because of all the hand washing and sanitiser they use?
    I have naturally dry skin anyway and as my emet is getting worse and I'm washing my hands more my skin is also getting drier. I can't complain though because I'd rather have dry hands than dirty ones!

Default Re: dry hands?

If you can get a hold of Gold Bond Hand Sanitizer it is the best thing for two reasons. One, it has the "good stuff" in it to help ward off tummy troubles and two, it has great long lasting cream to help with cracks! I was BAAADDD to the point of bleeding, but now I use this and I don't crack!

Oh yes, I deal with that... And I get eczema on my hands too so they're usually cracked and bleeding by the middle of November. Sometimes even in summer (back when I worked in a lab, washed my hands countless times per day). I usually buy Aveeno baby care for eczema, it helps with cracked skin without burning a lot and it's not greasy at all. It's not sanitizing like the other suggestion you were given, but it does a good job.

Hi there

I have EXACTLY this problem. My habds are so sore sometimes, I could honestly cry. I was using Palmer's cocoa butter formula, the concentrated stuff for hands, elbows and knees. It's real lush stuff but by God does it sting when you apply it.

So I went to a shop today and bought this new stuff that has just come on the market,got it half price presumably so people will try it out. It's called Jergens. There are two typed but I got the Ultra Healing habd cream. Just applied it and so far, so good. It's quite oily which is a but of a pain, but I'm not having the usual stinging that I hsve when I apply other cream. It seems to have subsided the dry feeling too and have only had it on for a minute or two. Quite a nice floraly smell too

If you want I can do an update on how it is tomorrow, see if this stuff really works and whether I have found a gem or not; it couldhelp, right?

Elphie x

Thank you
    I'e been using Carex hand sanitiser (the one that's moisturising) but it doesn't help to be honest.
    Elphie - I've got some Palmers stuff, but as you say, it really stings! Let me know whether the Jergens stuff works!

Yes, the tips of my fingers sometime get cracks in them & theyr`e painful. I do use hand lotion when I remember.

I got dermol from the doctors. It's an emollient and it's antimicrobial so it kills germs and you can either use it as a hand wash or a moisturiser. It's brilliant! I ran out last weekend and 3 days of constant handwashing with normal anti-bac gel has absolutely shredded my hands. Can't believe they're this bad again so quickly.

Dermol 500 is what Occupational Health give to us healthcare workers when we have bad skin on our hands. I get really dry skin in winter and have to wash my hands a lot on clinic so I get dermol. It helps a lot and feels lovely to wash your hands in. You put it on dry hands as a lotion then rinse and rub your hands together to get a slight lather, it doesn't lather much but it still does the trick.

I volunteer at a hospice and when we go around filling up water pitchers, we have to wash our hands between EVERY pitcher. When you are filling 20+ pitchers, that's a lot of hand washing and your hands get very dry. One trick I know for keeping your cuticles from splitting is to buy NuSkin (or however it's spelled) liquid bandage. You paint it over your cuticles, and it helps them heal, and doesn't get washed off with water (though 20 washes, yes, it will). It's got an antiseptic in it to prevent infection. Not cheap but a bottle lasts a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyrilesss View Post
    Thank you
    I'e been using Carex hand sanitiser (the one that's moisturising) but it doesn't help to be honest.
    Elphie - I've got some Palmers stuff, but as you say, it really stings! Let me know whether the Jergens stuff works!
    Thought I would give this a week or so!! Jergens is reeeally lush and worked for me. One day I had minimal stinging like I had with the Palmer's stuff but absolutely nowhere near the pain I had eith other hand creams

I've just bought a little tube of Aveeno colloidal oatmeal and can't believe how good this hand cream is.