Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Newbie here

Hi to all. I can't tell you how amazing it was for me to find this site. I didn't even know the term emtophobia until just recently, I just knew I had this horrible, debilitating phobia of vomiting. I am 28 years ols, and I have been an emet since I was 2 years old. I always knew I was scared to throw up, but it hit me the most when I was 18, at which point I became agorphobic as well. It has been a very long haul and I think I have tried almost everything to get rid of this phobia. I thought I might be over it a few years ago while pregnant, because after a while I just got used to the morning sickness (although at first it was horribly frightening). It wasn't until my son was about 14 months old, that I got the stomach flu, and realized I was still petrified. Luckily, my son has only gotten sick a few times, at which time, I calmly get him cleaned up, asleep, then go and have a major panic attack. I have to take paxil and clonazepam, as well as ativan just be make it through a day, and if someone around me, or even if someone knows someone who has vomited I becomed extremely anxious. Anyway, thank you for this site, I feel so relieved I am not the only one out there with this phobia. It has become worse in the last little while, mostly due to stress. I get stomachflies when stressed, which, in turn, cause a panic attack. I recently started a new job (the first since my son was born 4 years ago), and gave my husband divorce papers. I am also trying to do nursing through distance education as well. SO, that is me. Thanks for reading![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Welcome to the site, Im so glad you found our little community. You will find lots of supportive people here.

welcome!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Glad you are here! I also have agoraphobia because of my
    emet. Everyone here is very nice and extremely helpful.
    Welcome! Carrie

Welcome to the family!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello fellow suffers - ive had anxiety problems for years now - it all stems from a morbid fear of vomiting - the reason i think is because im scared of choking. when i was 13 i had a very bad bout of tonsilitis and my mum had to take me to a and e because i felt like a i was choking - things carried on from there i guess. I have very bad ibs and panic attacks - not sure which started first - chicken or egg situation i suppose.

until last night when i couldnt sleep because i was so scared that i might vomit and theyd be noone aroun to help me, and logging on the net in a desperate attempt to divert my attantion, i had no idea this was an 'established' phobia that wasnt singular to me! i often feel like a fool and a freak....

so if anyone else out there feels alone with this id love to talk!

thanks

von

Hey Von,

Welcome aboard!!! We are so glad to have you here as part of the family! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I am so sorry you were having a rough night last night!I was having a horrible night last night as well! I wish we could've gotten into the chatroom and talked to maybe calm each other down! But I think the time differences might have been a problem... It was probably night here when it was morning there and vice versa. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Anyway, again, welcome. You will find lots of support andgreat advice on the site, not to mention great people!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi...I am Kathryn...welcome to the site...hope you find all the comfort you need here...I know I have Kat

Welcome to this site Von and crystalmom. Youwill find lots of support from the members here.

Hey, Rhonda... where have you been lately???

Hey!!! I am still here. I come on once in awhile. I find that since the nice weather is here my anxiety level is down, but I will be back 100% by September or earlier. I do miss you girls!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] When I read the other post about there are 2 seasons for us, well this is the nice season.

hello everyone

thanks for being so friendly!!!

am having a rather bad time today - ive been taking antibiotics and theyve made me very ill [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

has anyone else got ibs or anxiety disorder???

cheers

von

I have Ibs as well. I also have anxiety problems-many in fact. .I'm sorry that you're not feeling well.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]What kind of antibiotics are you taking and for howl ong?

I have panic disorder, to a point that I need prescriptions. See above...lol! Hope you feel better soon.

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Awww Von, I hope you feel better soon! I too have anxiety disorder, among other similar disorders. It doesn't make it easier to be emetophobic!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

hey everyone...

in reply to swiftette ive been given amoxacillin - a type of penicillin - my mum and lil bro cant hack it at all.....ive been having constant infections in my gum round my wisdom too and am scared ill have to have it remove......am very worried about the procedure and having aneasthetic - is general or local best??? what if im sick??? i hate having things put into my mouth and always gag....

i have a history of anxiety and im not sure if that ibs was the trigger or an after effect

for my ibs i have a colofac suspension because i cant swallow tablets due to a long established fear of chocking - ive always had to have the medicine ordered in as i fear im the only person in the world who takes it - i wondered into boots the other day and casually handed in my prescription and was told that this medicine has been discontinued......im very annoyed as it took my eons to persuade my gp that a liquid for was availible and before i had to grind up the tablets and eat them with lemon turd.....grrrrrrrrrrr

if anyone wants to chat further feel free to email me at [email protected] - i know this is a very trusting thing to do, give out my email, but everyones been very supportive and its so reassuring to finally find people in the same boat as me!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

von

That is awful Von[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]If you keep having these infections, mabey it would be best to just have the tooth removed.(This coming from a woman who Never goes to the dentist-I kid myself that buying expensive toothbrushes are just as good as going)IF it's an option a local is better-but you may be very anxious about it -then general would be better but I've always worried about that because of the V*. When I got my bottom wisdom teeth out, they got infected and were impacted.I never v* from the anesthesia but my husband did when he got his out .Mabey they could give you some xanax or valium to calm you if you DO decide to have it out. I used to have a bit ofa fear of choking-I always carried around a bottle of water and cough drops with me. Eventually that fear faded though and I only worry about choking when I have a cold(you know, when you wakeup in the middle of the night with that tickle in your throat )but it's not to the point of"phobia".I'm sure it will fade for you to. I'm 33 now-I had that fear when I was about19-20. I learned to swallow pills when I had my second child at 27. I had to have a c-section and the pain-ooohhh mama! So I learned PRETTY QUICK how to swallow a pain med.-and they were HUGE!So believe me when I say, eventually, that fear too shall pass!Sometimes it feels like we have these huge obstacles to overcome because we have anxiety disorders, but we ARE strong, we just need to reach in a little deeper and believe in ourselves a little more. I often wonder too if the anxiety causes the IBS or visa/versa.I'm not sure even DR.s know for sure. So Hang in there!!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Crystalmom,

Welcome. You will meet so many people just like you here.
    Nursing huh? Hmmmm, you know you will be around v*** in that
    profession. I tip my hat to you. You are very very brave.

I look foward to having you around.

Stella

you will be surprised how many people are just like you here. im SO GLAD i found this site[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Welcome[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]