Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Old Habits, New Meds.

I have been prescribed with Lovan (fluoxetine - aka. Prozac) and am starting it in about a week and a half due to the withdrawal period required from my St Johns Wort. Anybody on here had any experience with this drug? Side effects? The doctor told me that nausea and sleep issues were the most common in the first week. Ugh, I have to take it for OCD and depression, and I am going on a trip soon to Fiji and I am super worried about getting sick there from a bug, but now I have to take this darn medicine and get on a plane and its really aggravating me for some reason. I just want to go on my trip in peace since I finished school. my exams are finally over. God I hate this phobia so so much right now. This week is going to be freaking fantastic - that is sarcasm by the way.
    Also, I have a huge headache and occasional nausea since going off the STJ - could this be from stopping it abruptly (I didn't have a choice to ease off it). Thanks.

Default Re: Old Habits, New Meds.

well, I don't have experience with Prozac specifically, but I was put on Elavil ( which is an older antidepressant) because fluxetine antidepressants cause my anxiety to be worse. I also lose my appetite and get insomnia on those, even after being on them for weeks. Anyways, the Elavil makes me feel calm and its actually been proven to help IBS issues also. It also completely relives my anxiety which in turn I never get nauseous on it s long as I am taking it on my regular schedule. I have been having a TON of anxiety this past week because I was exposed to someone with the sv* and its going around like crazy, so I think I need to up my Elavil dose again because I am on a very small dose because I just had a baby and they had me on the lowest dose possible for my pregnancy. Hopefully you won't have those side effects with it. Not everyone does. My mom is on it and it just made her hungry. Anyways, good luck starting it. I hope it doesn't have the side effects for you as it did for me.

i'm on prozac (i've taken both the name brand and currently taking generic) i know ive posted this many times. this drug has totally given me my life back......i don't obsess about v 24/7......and my panic attacks are about non existent....i still get scared...but can usually talk my way through the attack and carry on.

i had no bad side effects from it.......had some really strange dreams for the first couple days. i take it at night.......i guess when i started with it i figured if i took it at night i would sleep through any bad side effects.....that's my emet thinking. it takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to really get into your system and hopefully you will see a big change in your "thinking".

i started taking it back in the late 1980s......20 mg/day.........i've gon on and off of it a few times over the years......but still on 20mg/day. also had no probs when i stopped taking it either.

give it a try......hopefully you will see some significant changes in your thought patterns.......but it does take a little time....be patient.....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you guys, olschesky I am taking 20mg as well.
    I rang the doctor today and he told me to start it tomorrow, he said the SJW wouldn't affect it now so I am kinda scared. I just hope that I don't get too nauseous. Dreams are fine, but no nausea or at least nothing out of the ordinary would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by allilove View Post
    well, I don't have experience with Prozac specifically, but I was put on Elavil ( which is an older antidepressant) because fluxetine antidepressants cause my anxiety to be worse. I also lose my appetite and get insomnia on those, even after being on them for weeks. Anyways, the Elavil makes me feel calm and its actually been proven to help IBS issues also. It also completely relives my anxiety which in turn I never get nauseous on it s long as I am taking it on my regular schedule. I have been having a TON of anxiety this past week because I was exposed to someone with the sv* and its going around like crazy, so I think I need to up my Elavil dose again because I am on a very small dose because I just had a baby and they had me on the lowest dose possible for my pregnancy. Hopefully you won't have those side effects with it. Not everyone does. My mom is on it and it just made her hungry. Anyways, good luck starting it. I hope it doesn't have the side effects for you as it did for me.
    If she gets hungry, I sincerely hope I do as well. It would be nice for a change!
    I guess for me its a bit of trial and error. The SJW did not do enough, so obviously I need something stronger. I just hope and pray to God that it goes smoothly.

Hey Cynna, took my first dose and had a HUGE panic attack, I literally had to force it down. I don't know whether I feel weird or just anxious now. I just feel extremely spaced out and a bit shaky, the doctor said anxiety can heighten a bit intially but honestly I don't think its been in me long enough for that to happen. I need a distraction but its so hard now that school is finished!

I actually have! Its all good now, I can deal with mild nausea I just needed a freakout to get it out of me I think. I'm starting to feel a tad heavy in the gut, but all this may be anxiety anyway.

No video, but Britney Spears is no match for my skills!