Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What is happening!

I started an antibiotic 10 days ago or a sinus infection. A couple days after I started it my stomach has been a wreck. Gas, bloating, weird bowel movements, feeling like I'm going to have diarrhea but not, and nausea. I have never had these issues before on antibiotics. I keep thinking I'm coming down with a bug which kicks up my anxiety even more, which in turn isn't helping the bowel issues. What the heck s causing this? I haven't had IBS in years. The only thing I've had very occasionally is diarrhea postpartum on and off for 5 months, which I believe is hormonal. Can antibiotics really cause this upset? I've been off of them for 3 days now ad still feel these issues. Help.

Default Re: What is happening!

Antibiotics wipe out all the "good" bacteria in your stomach which can cause gas, bloating and can cause an upset in your bowels. I would say load up on yogurt and/or buy a probiotic supplement to take daily for at least 2 weeks to replenish the "good" bacteria in the your stomach ... you'll probably feel better within a few days of taking them.

Yes, antibiotics can cause all that, even if they didn't cause it before (maybe you got prescribed a different sort this time, they don't all cause the same effects). Eat yogurt with live cultures in them and you'll feel better soon!

I agree with the other posters. Antibiotics can certainly cause the symptoms you describe. I'd suggest buying a probiotic supplement(The kind you keep in the fridge)and taking that...

I'm worried i might have C. Diff bacteria. My stomach is worse tonight. Constant gas, abdominal pains, mild diarrhea, burping, bloating, passing wind. My stomach sounds like a gargle factory. I'm going in tomorrow to get tested for it. This sucks! I did start probiotics last night though. I hope they kick in soon.

C. Diff. wouldn't cause mild diarrhea - it would be full blown, intense diarrhea, fever, chills ... what you're experiencing is probably just from the anitbiotics wiping your system clean

I would say it's just from the antibiotics on your system. C Diff is pretty violent and at the nursing home we only send out a sample to be tested if they have 15 or more diarrhea episodes a day. I have taken care of people with c diff who sit down to go, you no sooner pull their pants up and they're going again. It's awful! I would eat some yogurt, continue your probitoic and eat light until you feel better !

Oh yes, if you had C. diff. you would be bedridden (or toilet-ridden?) as it is pretty violent. What you have sounds like intolerance to your current antibiotics.Your doctor can probably switch you to another class of antibiotics you might tolerate better!