Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default think ive passed my fear on to my child..

hi im a mom to 3 children. i have emet for yrs and yrs, im 37 now and its getting worse as the kids get older. i have 2 girls age 10 and 6 and a 2yr old son. im frightened daily especially this time of yr when bugs are high on the agenda. other family members-my sis and niece had v* bug few wks ago and i was terrified in case it passed on...it didn't thank god. i stayed well away for almost a wk even though they only had 6-12hr bug! anyway as my post says, i think my 10yr old has this emet thing now too. she is showing signs of the fear and i can tell she is experiencing irrational fear. she reacts the same as myself when she feels sick or if immediate family are sick. my reaction is awful ( extreme sweating,sick feeling,run in opposite direction feeling, detachment to the situation, avoidance of the area,person until all is well again). how can i help her when i cant even calm myself down?
    life is tough sometimes....to love me you have to understand me
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    !

Default Re: think ive passed my fear on to my child..

My mum has emet and never told me about it, and I too have it! She never displayed any fear and was always very strong when she had to look after me when I was ill. Maybe its genetic? Ive heard anxiety can be genetic, and since emet is a strain of anxiety, it could be a possibility!
    Try not to blame yourself. My mum has/did and i can honestly say she did nothing wrong and she coped so well whenever was poorly.
    I agree with Cynna. Maybe you should speak to your daughter, without being obvious and just see if you can dig for a few clues. If you feel like she has got the phobia, nip it in the bud while she is young and get her some help!! It would be the best thing you can do as you would hate for her to grow up and feel the way we do day in and day out.
    All the best, I hope things go well for you and your daughter xxxx

Default Re: think ive passed my fear on to my child..

I started seeing a therapist for emet when I was ten, it was a good age to start. It made my childhood and teen years much more manageable, my phobia didn't start getting really bad until I was in college. Yes I was an emet, yes I was scared, but it didn't affect my everyday life and I was able to be a kid. I can't say for sure whether your daughter is an emet or not, but it might be something to think about, even taking her once just to see what a child therapist thinks.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!