Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default People Don't Understand

Hi everyone,

I just joined this site today, due to the fact that my phobia is really starting to drag me down. Just a few hours ago, my sister V*, and I had a breakdown as I normally do when someone gets sick.

As I was frantically grabbing my stuff and running away, my mom began to yell at me and tell me how stupid I was acting. My family has never understood why I am Emetophobic and I don't think they ever will. My family, (often my mother) will tell me that I'm crazy and that I need mental help, and they don't try to understand how I am feeling. It's been rough today, especially due to the fact that I am home schooled, so I can't even focus on my school work properly due to my sister's illness.

I feel angry with myself because I've said harsh things today to my sister about her being sick, even though I know that she can't help it. I feel like a monster, a selfish monster. I can't get my family to understand where I am coming from which makes matters worse. On top of that, I live in a VERY small home, so I can't get that far away from my sick sister.

Right now I'm keeping my self sane by trying to get some school work done on my macbook and watching TV with my rabbits. This is turning out to be a very bad day

Default Re: People Don't Understand

Your`e not crazy, you just have a phobia the same as a person who is scared of spiders or heights, &people don`t laugh at them & call them crazy. I think your family should make an effort to be more understanding.

This is a tough one when you live at home. When I was younger my parents and sister used to get really mad at me because if they were ill I always ended up needing more attention than the poorly person. Which was unfair if it was my sister not well and my mum was having to calm me down rather than looking after her. Now though my mum has actually been on here and read some posts and she admits she didn't understand how bad it was before. Might be worth getting your folks to have a wee look - maybe give them a better understanding of it? And defi stick to hanging out with your rabbits! Animals are the best thing ever for stress relief! When I feel crap I either go talk to the horses or play with the hamster - always helps (and they never argue with you!)

My parents know about my phobia,but think im a little silly because i also have ocd so i have a problem with germs during winter.. Its just to tell them,make them understand and read up on it?