Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay.. I know I wrote about this a few months ago but it is still weighing on my mind.

Next year I will be living on campus. I already know who my roommate will be (we've been assigned at least, I have not contacted her yet).. but I am very anxious due to my emet.

The drinking policy on campus is supposed to be very strict. If you're found drunk on campus you can get into a lot of trouble. Still, I am very worried because we have community bathrooms.

Has anyone lived on a university campus? How bad are the community bathrooms? Any suggestions on what to do if I encounter a V*ing situation with a drunk classmate? Should I inform my RA?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

Hi, I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same place
    you are. I'm starting college this August, and my school is a major
    party school. Plenty of people who get drunk.

Plus I remember last year there was a story on the news about a norwalk
    virus that went through the entire campus. I didn't care too much at
    the time since my phobia was more under control then, but
    now......yeah. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I guess we'll both just have to try to enjoy college as much as we can and not worry too much. Good luck to you.

hey i was at college (it uni over here ) and that was the first time i
    actually felt comfortable with my emets. I lived with 14 other girls
    (yes i did say 14!!!!) and one of the first things i told them was
    about my phobia and suprisingly they understood. I think the best thing
    for you do is to tell your new room mate after all they mite suffer
    with it too as for bathrooms.... any decent person will clean up
    after themselves. I dont think u will have alot of trouble with drunk
    people if its so strict. People obviously know this and wont go there
    to get wasted.

I really hope this help even just a little bit. please let me know how u get on remember to have fun

Sher xxx

www.myspace.com/sherral

I know this topic has been up for a while, but I've just read it now and wanted to respond.

I've gone through 7 years of university as an emet, including4 years of that in residence, 1 year in a house with 3 other girls. I was too embarrassed to talk to my roommates about my emet, besides, at the time I didn't know how I was feeling was actually a real condition.

I loved beingin residence. There were 25 of us on the floor, with 6 toilets between us. When I first moved in, the first thing I thought of was what to do if I were in one of the stalls and someone ran in and threw up. But... it never happened. Sure, people got sick, some from drinking, some from a sv, and once from appendicitis (sp?), but it wasn't as horrible as it might seem. I didn't have a roommate for any of those years, and in the house we shared I had my own room, but the bathrooms were still public.

Both of you will be fine. There may be moments, but there is so much to university that's bigger than fear. Tell your roommates and folks you share the bathroom with. You may be surprised to find that there's another emet there with you. Who knows?
    \"... and but for the sky there are no fences facing....\"-- Bob Dylan

I give you credit for even going. I desided not to go with only 2 days
    before classes started cause I couldnt take the thought of dorms and
    classrooms again.

Go you!!

Watching life pass me by as I work, play, and live off my computer.....

I know emets who have managed fine in college dorms. Get yourself a good support system of friends who will be there for you and offer strength when you need it. Don't give up on your future because of emet, you will do just fine.
    \"This too shall pass\"

After a few months of being out of school I did get a job as an
    engineer (lucky me) and my work environment is pretty comfortable. So
    hopefully Im on the way to coping with myself. You know, take everyday
    slwoely kind of thing. I might end up going to college eventually, if I
    need to.

TOM

Watching life pass me by as I work, play, and live off my computer.....

I am just nearing the end of 5 years at uni and I have emet (there, I said it!) I compeltely understand your fears and concerns but I mfeel I have to stress that uni life is amazing! it's a chance to make new friends, grow and develop as a person and really get involved in things you love. partying is part of it and as long as you are not silly about what you drink etc it is fine. by making new friends and telling them about your fears (I didn't but I can see how it would really help) you will have a blast!

Please try and enjoy the most of it, i am sorry this part of my life is finished, I am ready to move on but I have enjoyed it and hope you both have as much fun.

Be positive!