Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Child and not going #2 Please, I need advice

So my son is 4. He had a BM on Monday and hasnt had one since. He was sick on Friday with the stomach bug and STILL hasnt gone. My son likes to hold it in, he avoids going number 2. Since he was sick, I kinda didnt force him to go because he didnt want and I didnt want him to have a crying episode which he usually has when I make him go #2. Its Sunday night now and he is asleep and I am thinking and worrying about it now. I will be forceful in the morning about him going # 2 but Im just worried if he is okay. He was holding it in tonight, I could tell but when I told him that he needed to go he just cried and said no no, so I told him he needed to go tonight but then he fell asleep early. Need advice!

Default Re: Child and not going #2 Please, I need advice

I had similar issues when I was young. I held in my poops all the time, to the point that it was almost making me sick.
    Now, I'm not a parent, but it sounds like maybe the stress of being sick is what has got him stuffed up? Maybe getting him to relax in some way. Does he feel better when you go to the potty with you, or does he seem worse?

Just try to calm him a bit. That should help him some. Hope he feels better soon!

Thank you! I was thinking that he hasnt gone because his body has been too preoccupied with his tummy issues. He usually goes every other day ( only because I know this and make him). I dont think he is constipated, just holding it in. Sometimes he likes me to be there, sometimes he doesnt. I usually have to give him something fun to do, or bribe him to go (haha). I will REALLY encourage him to go in the morning. Im just worried that he will be sick or his body is in trouble from it. I know its probably OK and as long as he goes soon he should be fine. I feel like if I dont have something to worry about, I find something! Ugh! He has actually been sick because of constipation I believe. That was over a year ago though.

My daughter is on mirilax daily for chronic constipation. Her dr says it won't hurt her at all and to keep her on it til she becomes more regular. She's 4 and has been on it daily since age 1

Maybe there is a reason why he hates to go so much? Perhaps it causes him pain or something? You ought to speak to your doctor about it, maybe he could benefit from something like glycolax if he doesn't like to go because it hurts him because his stools are too compact from holding it in.

I had a similar issue when I was a kid about your son's age and it got pretty serious to the point that I hadn't gone in a couple weeks and ended up at the ER. After multiple suppositories and enemas I was finally able to do it, but then had have my behind lanced cause it tore when I finally did go (sorry-gross tmi, I know).
    Is this a recent development with your son since he was sick or has he always been leery? Is it the #2 he fears or just using the big potty to go #2? Reason I ask is that if he's not comfortable using the big potty, you many want to reconsider making him. Maybe allow him to use a training potty or if worse comes to worse, revert to pull ups for #2s. I know it's a huge step backward in the whole training process but something seems to be traumatizing to him about the whole #2 thing and he may need a little more time to get comfortable with the idea.
    Definitely talk to his Dr about this and get his/her advice. what's most important is your sons health and it's not good for him to
    hold it in.
    Good luck-let us know how he's doing!
    Jennifer

Hey guys, I dropped him off at dads house this morning and told him what was going on. They sat him on the potty for a half hour and he went! =) He said it was about a weeks worth too hahaha. Ugh. Im not sure why he doesnt like to go, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesnt. I have talked to his doctor about it before and I have some suppositories and some tablets that help him go. Usually I can get him to go, its just been chaotic with him being sick! Thanks for all your responses. I may ask his doctor about the mucinex. That may help.

I mean miralax

My daughter was always afraid to go at that age. I think it's just an age thing. I sat her down and told her that if you don't go you get a tummy ache. Well what do you know she did I finally got her to go by telling her it won't hurt anymore if you go. Ugh been through those days they suck sorry.