Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm 13 & my Sisters sick

I've Had emotiphobia since as long as i can remember, i have freqent panic attacks everytime i feel or someone else feel's sick around me. i get so worked up and hyperventalate so much to the point of me fainting, my sister was sick last night at like 12am, she was sick like 4 times, and then stopped at 3am it's been like 12 hours, is this a bug? and am i safe? my mums got emetophobia aswell but she got help about hers, and she's sprayed everything. i'm really scared i'll get it, really panicky. :/

Default Re: I'm 13 & my Sisters sick

Hey there, it's quite possible it was food poisoning actually. It can cause short-term illness like that, often happens at night too if it was food eaten at supper that caused the food poisoning. There is also a chance it's a virus, but if your mom is (or was) emet I'm sure she did a very thorough job of cleaning up so you're less likely to catch it. But I have the feeling she ate something that didn't agree with her. If your mom had successful treatment, maybe you could follow the same therapy she did? It's worth a try. Try to do something to calm down, take a few deep breaths, read something to distract yourself. Keep washing your hands often and use a different towel than your sister to dry your hands (you can keep this one in your room so no one contaminates it). That way you should be safe.