Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I seriously feel like I'm going crazy!!!

This fear is just ruining my life. Even with my medication. It takes the edge off. But it just never goes away. I never get a break. I have been craving a burrito for like 2 weeks now. So tonight I went to this Mexican place and got me one. After I overstuffed myself I started thinking about how the food was prepared and all kinds of junk. I got my son a cheese enchilada which he's been asking for all week but I don't know how to make that kind of food. But he took like 2 nibbles and said he wasn't hungry. He's only had a few snacks today. And it kinda sounds like he's getting a cold. But I sat there and stared at him trying to see any other signs of illness. We had his birthday party Saturday at a arcade and I'm starting to freak out thinking he might have picked something up from there. This is horrible. I feel so trapped. Living like this is so miserable. I can't live a normal life because my life revolves around everyone's stomachs.
    Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: I seriously feel like I'm going crazy!!!

Hey! Try not to think about it so much. I just went through this with my son. I was worried ALL week that he was going to become ill. This wont really help, but he did. He wasnt really showing sign of being s*, I was just worried anyway. When he did get sick, I was so mad at myself for worrying all week because if it is going to happen, its gonna happen. Having a cold can make your appetite go away. I also notice that my son doesnt really eat much out at place much, he is busy looking around and checking stuff out. My son is 4, im sure yours is older if he requesting a cheese enchilada. If he is older, he should be able to tell you how he feels! Mexican food is my weakness, I LOVE it but it also makes me very nervous. Its not fair =)I agree though, living like this does stink. Just try to stay calm and busy, and realize that if he is going to get sick, he will. And you WILL be able to deal with it then. I know its hard, I dont even know if I would be able to take my own advice. Hmmph! Let me know how it goes.

Yes, the worrying is terrible and it does make life difficult. But, I'm gonna have to say the same thing.. even though it is very difficult, try not to think about it, because like cheymcg said it won't change anything. Even if the worst happens, if you've taken the necessary precautions (hand washing, disinfecting if someone is sick) then you're wasting your time by worrying no matter what the outcome is. Whenever I freak out and call my parents to say I am worried I am going to be sick, my dad tells me exactly that. "Worrying won't change a thing, it'll just make you waste your time. Even if the worst happens, you'll just have wasted time when things were fine worrying about it, so you still wasted perfectly good time that you could have better used." I know it's very difficult not to think about it, and it takes tremendous efforts to distract yourself from those thoughts, but it can be done. Also, yeah.. colds can make someone not hungry at all.

Thanks. I know it doesn't help by getting worried. But it's really hard not to. It may be him getting a cold. He doesn't have a runny nose or cough. He just sounds bad. I've 20 questioned him and he says he's fine. He said the enchilada tasted funny. But it wasn't a place we would normally get that from. It's kinda like a taco truck place but its in a building. It's more for tacos and burritos. So I guess I'll see what happens. It's just when I feel like this I get really anxious and since this fear takes over my life I end up staying up all night fearing the worst.

How old is your son? I know how it is at night. Its the worst! If I am very nervous I wont sleep either, which just makes it worse but at the the time it feels like the only comfort and control we have. Im sure your son will be OK!

He's 8. He seems ok. But yes night time is hell to me. Because if anything happens it happen during the night. I guess time will tell and I've been cleaning so much I'm so tired but my anxiety keeps me up. :-(

I agree. He could even be coming down with a cold. I know my appetite is lessened with a cold as well. Oh, kind of off topic, I feel very fortunate lately. I met a new friend who is a restaurant health food inspector. I can now find the "safe" restaurants to eat at!

Also, if the kid thought it tasted funny that might be why he didn't eat much. I get that way too, if I really really want a specific kind of food and I know the taste I'm after, if I eat it and it doesn't taste like what I had in mind I often don't want to eat it because it makes me nauseous (odd, I know). Like, I was craving mushroom soup at one time and I had a can of low-fat instead of the regular kind I wanted. I made it, and after a few spoonfuls it made me nauseous and I didn't want to eat anymore.. because it didn't taste like what I expected. Might be only that.