Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Swimming...

So, I am feeling a little concerned and confused.

A couple of days ago I read that most of our beaches at the lake are severely contaminated with e.coli. (I live in Ohio, they were refering to Lake Erie.) TheEPA tests often and posts little signs stating the conditions and dangers, but no one seems to care. They swim anyway.. The article also said that even the sand is contaminated, which pisses me off because I enjoy taking my daughter to the lake during the summer. I read while she makes sand castles. Now I am going to worry about the safetly of doing this.

Today there was something on CNN (i think) about the safety issues of summer. They were talking about swimming pools. They said that everyone getting in the water should shower ahead of time to clean themselves. (incase they have microbes you know where that weren't cleaned properly) There is a certain strain of bacteria that pool chemicals do not kill. It is found in the stool and acts like a stomach virus. I guess there is something going on right now in Georgia or something with breakouts due to this bacteria and swimming pools, especially public pools. Well, my mom has a pool and also my daughter will be going to the public pool this summer with day camp very often...

Okay, so that all sucks.. Whatever, what are you gonna do? Right? Well then I am starting to let my mind wander. I am wondering, when people pick these bugs up from pools if they are then able to be spread. Say, a kid goes to the pool, ends up sick a couple days later, the microbes are still within his digestive tract and he isn't very sanitary, when he touches something does it become contaminated? Also, I am assuming that the e. coli from the beaches can be spread this way as well. I remember the whole Jack in the Box thing in California, lots of kids were actually catching it in the day care centers, they hadn't had any ground beef. Also they said that doctors tend to just say it's a virus and treat it like a virus unless there is blood present in the stool or there is a high fever.

So, with all of these thoughts... It feels as if we are as unsafe now as we are in the winter. I think we should all just live our lives and do what ever without thinking of vomit consequences because otherwise we are going to have to live in a bubble.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Well first off, remember that news stations LIKE to create panic because that is how they'll get us to watch their shows. There are only so many cute and cuddly stories and the rest are all full of politics, violenceand disease. Which is why I only watch for weather and traffic. I definately would stay out of beach water if they warn about contamination, but I would'nt worry about the sand, because even if you DID get a few grains in your mouth, as long as your not immune deficiant,you'll be fine. I'm sure that just as I do, the first place you hit after the beach is the shower.(ick-sand in the pants)As far as pools go, try and go early as possible because they probably chlorinate first thing in the morning and I'm sure that would kill any bacteria.And use common sense(which I know you do)If you see someobnoxious person whoinsists on putting theirpoopy-diapered child in the pool-it's time to go home.The saddest part is, if every one would just use proper hygiene, we would'nt have these outbreaks! That's the one thing about this phobia that ACTUALLY makes sense-who would WANT to get ill and if you have a way to stop the spread, why would'nt you? But yet I still see people leaving rest rooms without washing, I still see people using the same burger flipper for a rawchicken that's going ON the grill as they use for a cooked burger that's going OFF the grill, and I still see people eating undercooked meat. I don't get it!Sometimes I think I'M crazy and sometimes I think it's the rest of the WORLD thats crazy.

Swiftette,

Thanks for your response. Good point about the media, how true. Good advice about the sand at the beach, too. How right you are about people and their hygeine. If only people cleaned themselves and took cooking precautions we probably wouldn't have half the sickness we do now.

Thank you also for reminding me about our immune systems. That is one thing that I often have to remind myself. "My body fights this stuff off... It's programmed to do so.."

Well, I hope everyone has a great summer and that none of us encounter these kinds of cooties.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I'm glad you're not holding yourself back. I agree about the media and also that they have to say it because so many people won't rinse off after (not properly anyhow YUCK!) Enjoy your summer! Emets wait for it all year, shouldn't be wasted worrying!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Well its almost 90 degrees here. Just got back from a public water park. Needless to say I am freaked out now. I didnt let the water get in my mouth and I kept spitting. I got a little water in my eyes. I cant beleive I am sitting here worrying about this now. I have gone swimming all the time my whole life and have never remembered getting sick from it. I never even gave it a second thought. There are bacteria that can make you sick that is not cleaned up by chlorine. It is spread through people that are sick and get their feces in the pool. Especialy children wearing diapers who have parents that are dumb and let their diapered children with diarhea swim inthe pool!!!! UGH!!!! People can be so dumb! The pool I was at was PACKED too. It was gross. But I was so HOT! I am sick of taking things I enjoy out of my life. I wont eat out. I wont drink anything with ice in it. I wont drink any water unless its bottled. I wont get frappichinos anymore at starbucks because of the ice used in it. I used to get them all the time. Well I am going off on a tangent. For those of you that want to find more info about saftey at pools this summer go to the website CDC.gov and go to summer saftey. They have some helpful and disturbing info. Oh, another lovely thing. If you ingest this bacteria it can take 2-14 days for symptoms to appear. The average being 7 days. WTF. I guess I have 7 days till out of the woods!!!! FUN!!! I am ANGRY. Thanks for letting me vent! F*ck this phobia.

Shiva,

I know that you are panicking. Here's what you need to
    know. The health department sets a chlorine requirement for all
    pools. Now, how many of them actually adhere to these
    requirements is another thing. Most health departments make
    spot checks of area facilities and close the pools that don't meet
    those numbers. You need to find out this number and make
    sure your pool is meeting them. Most pools do and have gotten
    more stringent recently. No swim club wants bad press about
    someone getting sick from their pool. That would be enough to
    hurt their business for many years if not permanently. Of course
    the person who go sick would more than likely have to prove they got
    sick from the pool and that is another matter.

I know several occasions where a kid either v*** or had kaki in the
    pool at our condo or when we have been on holiday in other
    places. In all situations, the pools closed temporarily to clean
    them and to rechlorinate them.

Its a tricky matter. My guess is if the pool smells like a bottle
    of Chlorox, you are probably more than save. If the water does
    not smell chlorinated when you get close to the pool, I would say to
    pass.

Stella

Remember last week when my son was sick? We had been swimming the day before. We were swimming at my aunts pool though, and that was the first day anyone had been in it this summer. I dont know anything about how much cholorine a pool needs, but I would like to think that my aunt and uncle and the pool guy are in the know about all that. My son had also been swimming at my new sis in laws house, he could have picked up something there because they have a above ground pool, and I dont know how well she is at getting the right amount of cholorine in it. Whatever it was my son actually had, my youngest daughter got it three days after him.

Ohhh, and we live in Georgia ........

Unfortunatley, the bacteria they are talking about at least at the CDC website says this bacteria is chlorine resistant. I forgot the name of it. It isnt ecoli. It start with a c or something. Anyway, it realy freaks me out. I was in pool with hudreds of people today. [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img] This all makes me so mad.

Fecal Coliform?

nope, Ill look it up again

Cryptosporidium,

Here is the link for Healthy Swimming

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/

Mak, I feel really awful now. I didn't want to stress anyone else out, I just was thinking a lot about this particular issue. I am pulled between stressing myself and demanding that I live my life despite of this crap. It's soo hard, isn't it..

One other thing, and again.. not to cause stress, they did say that the heavy chemical smell does not always suggest safer water, sometimes it is actually quite opposite.. as if they are covering something up.

This is what I am going to do... I am going to treat this summer like I have every other summer in the past. I am going to enjoy it. I am going to swim in my mom's pool. I am going to relax at the beach. And, my daughter is going to go to the pool at daycamp. Please everyone.. Keep on me, if you see me talking about not doing this stuff, just remind me that I wait most of the year for summer and to freaking make the best of life... I go through cycles of strength and then major weakness.. I need you all to remind me of my immune system when you notice me being weak and not living. Please...

Jennyleigh, I wasn't aware you lived in Georgia. Have you heard anything?

Mak, Did the CDC say anything about it being communicable after being caught through the swimming pool?

Does anyone know anything about the e.coli thing at beaches??? Does this also apply to the ocean or just yukkie lakes?? I like to swim in the ocean... [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"This too shall pass\"

I feel like such an ass.. I am sooo sorry. We all can't wait for this time of year. I don't want to make anyone else worry like this. Mak, if you need anything you can email me, okay? That goes for anyone else, too. I am [email protected]. Again, I am sorry. I hate all of this as well. Don't worry about today. I am sure you had a great time being out in the sun!!!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Shiva, you didnt upset me. Dont feel bad. I was worried about swimming before I read the post. I went anyway, enjoyed it, then worried again after. Its funny, this is the first year I ever worried about swimming. We shouldnt worry. I remember swimming all my life and never getting sick. I swallowed plenty of water too when I was younger. The particular virus I read about, cryposporidium is some bacteria that lives in your intestines so I read. I am not sure if it is spread communicably after getting it from a pool. Its one of those fecal oral route things i know that.

I wish I would just stop obsessing. I keep thinking about all the kids I was around, and how enclosed and crowded it was. I am not worried about cryposporidium as much as I am worried about getting a stomach virus from being with so many people and so many kinds. Even going down the water slide I thougth "maybe I shouldnt breathe" LOL. So rediculous. I bought a bracelet today that says "courage" on it and I keep trying to find strength by looking at it.

Dont feel like an ass!! Its all good!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Courage is good.

Do you ever think that maybe the universe allowed us to have this particular issue to deal with because whoever responsibe knew that we had enough courage to deal with it? I mean when you think of it, most things we do from day to day take courage. I think that we have amazing accomplishments going on here considering our mindset.

I'm glad I didn't upset you. And, I'm glad you had a great time. LOL about not breathing while going down the slide! And you are right. I have been swimming soooo much in my life. In lakes, rivers, pools, water parks... And, I never even once threw up in the summer months. I definitely swallowed my share of pool water, too. We will all be fine and we will all have wonderful summers
    \"This too shall pass\"

Yes we will!

I wasnt aware of any kind of outbreak in Georgia, but I havent watched the news much today either. As long as all it causes in diarrhea, I think I can deal with that. Although, it does make me kinda leary about going on vacation, especially since I often go by myself with the children, due to my hubbys work schedule. Something else I have thought about is this, I went swimming ALL THE TIME as a child, and I dont ever remember having any sickness, and I would think that these germies were around back then too.

Well, I just read that link(Thanks Mak79007) it was very informative. But, I'm not gonna stress, and I don't think any of us should. Have a fun summer but be aware!At least, that's what I got out of it.