Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Went to dentist

Default Went to dentist

I went to the dentist today and they numbed my right side and my face is sooo numb it is making me feel weird and giving me a panic attack which makes me feel like a i do when i am freaking out about my stomach issues which makes me have an even harder panic attack. i wish my face would feel right again. i don't like this feeling.
    ~always wishing for the best, Eveningstar~

Default Re: Went to dentist

Take a few deep breaths and calm down, you know it's just in your mind because you associated that kind of feeling with your panic attacks, but there's no risk at all and it'll pass within a few hours. Tell yourself that it has nothing to do with stomach issues at all, there's no connection and this is all normal to have a weird feeling there for a few hours. You said so yourself, it's because you connect that to panic attacks that you're having one, even though it's not even due to a stomach issue. So you have no reason to panic. Keep telling yourself that.

I feel you! Went through that a couple months ago for a cavity. They numbed the bottem and I went into panic in the chair because it numbed my throat. It was horrible but right after I got out of the chair, I was better. I just took deep breaths and eventually, it didn't bother me anymore. It will be over and you will be fine!

Local anaesthetic contains adrenaline and its enough to notice the feeling in your body. That can often set off panic in those particularly sensitive.

If you panic and release a lot of your own adrenaline you actually make the numbness last longer. Your adrenaline constructs blood vessels and stops the anaesthetic being metabolised. So quite literally the best thing you can do is to stay as calm as possible with nice even breathing.

So many dentistry questions on here x

Most dentists shots contain epinephrine, which is adrenaline. This keep the novocaine acting longer (1 hour) as oppossed to if there wasnt adrenaline added(only 5-10 mins). This will make your heart race, sweat, etc. It will feel like a panic attack. But, if you know that it is the adrenaline, you won't panic as much. I don't know why dentists dont tell their patients this beforehand. Mine does... every time, even though I already know.