Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down Stressful incident in restaurant!!

So, I was feeling ill and I couldn't eat what I had made for supper and my roommate and I decided to get takeout instead cause I felt like eating that instead... so anyway, we get to the restaurant and decide to eat there, and then while waiting for the main dish we hear a noise from the kitchen that sounded like a cough or sneeze. I panicked, thinking maybe it wasn't a cough and maybe the guy preparing the food had actually been sick and v* since there's a lot of sv going around here. Now I'm just in a panic over this. My roommate says it definitely was a cough or a sneeze as it was just a very short, sharp sound, but I'm still going crazy over that. Especially since he left not long after (granted, it was late so maybe his shift was over), but the fact he left makes me even more worried and now I'm pretty much convinced I'm doomed to catch the dreaded sv*. FML. Everything is going wrong. I should have stayed home and not eaten.

Default Re: Stressful incident in restaurant!!

You and I seem to have this thing where we just can't escape! Horrible isn't it? Cynna is right, if it was short, more than likely it was a cough or sneeze! Plus, though this may not help much, if he was working around food, he probably would have v* earlier because being around food is one thing people with a bug do NOT want to be around! You'll be ok!

Haha, yeah Sam, we're cursed with exposure or something lol But yes you're both most likely right.. It just sounded like the sound my cat makes when he's sick (I know I know, I can't compare cat sick sounds to human sick sounds), I think that's why I panicked. Because somehow for me that kind of sound is associated with my kitty v*. Still could have done without the added stress, I'm probably just more anxious/sensitive cause I'm tired and I panic more easily. Hope you have been better at avoiding those situations than me, Sam

Well, not really. I just posted something a little while ago in the Help and Support section. I'm not doing so good right now...

Hey lovely, I had a cough recently that was pretty nasty and sounded like I was almost being sick, that horrible chesty cough you get you know? That's what it sounds like to me. As someone has already said - if he had any sort of bug, n*, v*, d* etc I doubt he would be wanting to prepare food, and I doubt they would have even let him start his shift if that were the case! There's a lot of regulations these places have to follow.

I know it's tough, but us emet people have a mind which is, ironically, obsessed with the notion of v*, and so we automatically think about it more, in everyday situations, consciously or subconsciously, and we're programmed to be alert to any 'danger' scenarios pertaining to n*/v*... we're just hyper-aware. But if something comes to our attention like this it doesn't automatically mean it's a threat. A bit like a security guard on his shift hearing a noise that's actually nothing. Ok, crap metaphor but you get my point... I am the same so totally understand, for me its more sudden movements of people - makes me think they are moving to get to a toilet to v*, etc. I know it's really annoying, particularly if you're having a nice chilled day and suddenly, BAM, an incident like this happens and sends you into a spin.

It's just coincidence that because you were feeling ill, that after you thought you heard someone maybe v*... because you felt ill in the first place, you were more aware of what happened in the restaurant.

I think you'll be fine! Now go put your feet up and watch something funny on tv and in a couple of days this won't even be on your mind I doubt xxx

Hey LittleFlo, it's exactly like that. Some movements make me worry as well, like if a kid is sort of leaning towards the ground I immediately assume he's in that position to v* (even though they're often just looking at something), if if someone gets up quick. It really was just me being more anxious cause of lack of sleep I guess, as it turned out fine and I wasn't sick after all (well, usual digestive problems but nothing like an sv). I was still a bit worried because it's a dodgy little chinese restaurant so I'm not convinced they really follow the regulations all that well, but.. my love of chinese food beats my fear of food poisoning lol So I always eat there without a care cause I'm not afraid of food poisoning but it's the possibility of an sv* that really scares me more than any other possible cause of v*. And even that is usually only triggered if I hear someone getting sick.. But I'm way over the incubation period and didn't get it so you're right, it was worrying for nothing. o_o

I'm really glad you survived! I also feel like it's a little victory when I go through something's like this, because everytime it still feel traumatic. You've done really well It's interesting your fear is of SV and not FP. I'm the opposite - I have coped with tummy bugs quite well as the v* has been infrequent and limits itself usually after a day or two. FP however I've never had and perceive it as involving more severe v* and for me, I feel more threatened by it because of the possible consequences for your health. So this often controls what I eat and where I eat. Eating a Chinese would be a big hurdle for me to cross! So I really admire your courage in that respect. It's great to hear other people's stories xx