Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default old people & norovirus

Iv`e just read in a post on this site that old people catch noro very easily, & that`s got me worrying again, because I don`t look forward to old age at the best of times. I`m wondering what makes older people so vulnerable to this bug, & is there anyway that older people can protect themselves from it?

Default Re: old people & norovirus

I don't know how true that is, my grandma actually took care of my and my brother when we were sick (parents worked full time so she raised us, mostly) and even when the entire family came down with noro my grandparents didn't catch it, I don't recall either of my grandparents ever being sick with more than a cold. They always washed their hands, though, maybe that's why.

My grandparents were hardly ever sick. I don't ever recall my grandma ever having a sv and I lived with her. The only thing that stands out is she had a bad cold once. My grandpa is almost 90 and never gets sick. Of course they always get their flu shots. Old people in nursing homes I can see why they get them there all the time.

My grandparents rarely, if ever,get sick but they both live in their own house and don't go out that much?

I tell you what. I think I am trying to get over this or food poisoning. I have been afraid of this since I was 6 and am now 54. Thing is, I hardly ever throw up. Last time I did was when I was 13. This has been a horrendous week. Started Tues. (ate at Mimi's Mon and salad didn't taste right, didn't even eat much) bad runs and Wed nite actually dry heaved twice. Was soo scared. Still pretty anxious. 6 days and all I have eaten is 3 pieces of toast and 2 chicken soups. Only good thing is maybe I'll lose some weight. I can't remember the last time I've been so sick and still can't believe it. This sux so bad. My 18 yr old son has stayed by my side (bless his heart) and tries to help me but you know how that goes. I have always said dying scares me less than throwing up and I'm really scared of what's going to happen as I age. Am on paxil which helps quite a bit but not all the way and have been to many therapists. They don't seem to know what to do with me. Ahh well, guess it could always be worse. Right now, I feel I will never eat again but I know that's probably not going to happen. I just wish there was something. Soo tired of being scared all the time. Thx for listening stephanie