Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, I'm Alyssa and I'm new here obviously. Basically I don't know if I'm emet or not. I'm assuming I am. See, I can go to places like amusement parks and things like that but I am always so paranoid that someone will throw up or something. I can't stop thikning about it and I really wish I would stop. So getting to the point the question I have is about this exposure therapy thing. Do you think it would help me from being paranoid all the time? I have gone through all the pictures on Margaret's site I believe and I was fine with those. So anyway, what can I do now at home? I greatly appreciate your help. And thanks for reading through this.

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry, I am just really determined to overcome this somehow, if that's possible. I'm just hoping somehow knows what I can do because I really don't know where to go from here. Thanks.

Hi!

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry but I think you do haveemet.so if you got through the pictures ok then thats a really good start cos I couldn't do it for ages. Maybe you could see your gp who could arrange a therapist or something? They could do he picture thing, or something else. Or you could try watching videos with v* scenes. Harry Potter 2 is pretty mild. I know an Alyssa, are you in the UK?

it would be cool if you're the Alyssa I know because I haven't seen her in like 4 years.

Hey, thanks for responding! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] I actually have seen Harry Potter 2, and the funny thing is I don't remember that scene. Which is really weird since I usually remember stuff like that. Is it pretty noticeable? I have seen a couple of movies with v* scenes in them but they don't really seem to do anything. They don't make me feel worse but they don't help either. I think they are pretty disgusting but that's about it. But if it actually happened in real life I would probably freak out. Maybe I just haven't been watching the bad movies? What are some of the worst ones and if you have seen them how did they affect you? This is just really annoying because this exposure thing doesn't seem to help even though that's exactly what I'm scared of-seeing it happen and stuff. What's next for expsoure therpay after pictures and movies and stuff? Is Margaret's site the only site for exposure therapy pictures? Wow, I have a lot of questions, sorry but you guys are the only ones I could ask! And sorry, but I don't live in the UK so I guess I'm not the Alyssa you know.

Welcome to the site. I am going through the exposure therapy pictures with my therapist, and I am conquering about 1 per week. For you to go through them all and be ok is fantastic! Go through the videos and the sounds and stuff on the site too, that's my next assignment after the pictures. You can also do ratemyvomit.com and see how you do there. According to my therapist, the goal is to retrain your mind to not panic when encountering these images and situations, so just keep going until you have no reaction and are totally bored with everything, I mean even going and sitting in the emergency room for a couple hours will give you exposure therapy, or the nursing home or whatever.

Hope that helps!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Yeah, thanks that helped. I have a question about the movies. I really don't know which ones I should watch first to start. I have seen a couple scenes in movies. Let's see, I've seen Scary Movie 3, The Sandlot, Bring It On, Big Daddy, Cheaper by the Dozen and some others I can't remember right now. I thought those were okay so based on taht what ones should I watch next/ Thanks. Oh and a question about that ratemyvomit webiste. For any of you that have been there, is it bad? I have heard a l lot of not so good things about that place on this site so I guess I'm pretty hesitant to go there. What's the first page look like? Are the pictures a lot worse than the level 10 picture on the exposure site. Alright, I'll stop with the questions now. Thanks again you guys are really helpful! I'm really glad I found this site because I would never be trying to get over this if I have never found this. I never even knew there was such a thing as emetophobia. I thought I was the only one or something.

I don't know anything about the ratemyvomit site. There are others on here that have stopped by there to look, you could post a question on the general discussion thread to see if anyone will help you out.

I avoid movies that just scream v scene, so I can't help you on the movie thing, either. Sorry! I'm going so slow in this exposure therapy that I won't be ready for the movies for a while. The thing with me is that if it's real it freaks me out, and I think that's the problem I'm having with the photos on the exposure site, is that they are real people who got photographed at that moment. I'm afraid looking at the pictures is going to do this repeatative thing in my head. I don't even like to think about it....

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Yeah, those pictures or no fun to think about or look at. I usually just remind myself that they will eventually help in the long run and make my life a lot easier. I know a couple years ago I could never even think at looking at those pictures, on purpose! So I guess I feel accomplished I looked at them even though that probably sounds dumb, but it's good for me. And I'll post a topic about the ratemyvomit site, thanks for the idea!

Just have to say that things you guys have told me to do in this forum and in the other forum I posted really seem to help. I seem to be less paranoid and worrying about it less. Looking at picture and watching the scenes from movies actually made a difference. I'm just surprised this stuff has made such a difference in just a couple days. It's really weird. But, I know I'm still not anywhere close to perfectly cured or anything. So next for exposure therpay do I have to actually experience this in person? Still hesitant about that but not as scared as I used to be. Anything else I can do? Once again guys, thanks so much for helping me. I couldn't have done this stuff alone.

You're sharing the burden, you're doing desensitization by just talking about it and sharing your feelings. I was the exact same way when I came here... thought that if I even allowed myself to think about anything having to do with v that I would jinx myself and get sick. Do what makes you comfortable! I hope you can beat this thing.

Yah, I hope I can beat this too. At least I have somewhat of a chance. Before I thought I would be like this forever. Now I just feel like I'm stuck. I've looked at pictures and watched movies and don't know what to do next. I think I should probably try to actually see it happen but I still don't feel ready for that. I don't know why since I can look at pictures and watch movies.

Try looking at pictures or watching movies while CONCENTRATING HARD on imagining it's you in the scene. That should stir things up a bit more...another rung on the ladder of fears, so to speak. Once you can do that and still be totally calm, you'll be ready to see someone in person - if you can orchestrate it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the advice Sage. I'm glad someone posted in this topic again.I tried to pretend it was me in the situation, but I can't seem to get anxiouswith it. I just know that it's not real and can't see to convince myself it is. So, if anyone has done it, howcan I make myself anxious about it? Thanks.

The movie that really got to me when I watched it was The Ring have you seen it? There is this one part where the main character (Rachel) Starts coughing up this electrode and she is like choking and gagging on it for like a whole minute. It really bothered me and I'm not one to be scared of movie scenes. Usually I just go "Oh great vomit" and that's about it with me I don't get anxious. See The Ring and see if that brings up any anxiety!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Yeah, I have seen that movie. I think the first time I watched it I was anxious, but when I realized she wasn't getting sick it didn't bother me much anymore.

It doesn't really bother me any more but that's because I'm a Ringworm and I've seen the movie like 100 times! LoL...the first time yeah it was all messed up I totally thought she was going to be sick! But now when I see it I'm like "Yeah whatever" Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Alyssa,

It seems your coping mechanism of convincing yourself something isn't real is very strong. I, too, had this "excellent" coping mechanism. (It's only excellent when it "helps" you avoid the stimulus - not when you want to treat it, right? lol)

My advice would be to go to a therapist who does EMDR. During an EMDR session, the right and left brain are switching impulses so quickly, your cognitive "convincing" coping mechanism won't work. You should get good and anxious...but not too much you can't handle it. You are always in control during EMDR and can stop it at any time.

There's info at the top of this site re: EMDR. Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks for that sage. I'm just wondering, but how does getting anxious help? Thanks.