Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: my situation

Default my situation

I am new to this website, and I can't explain how happy I am to have found it!

I have been struggling with emetophobia since I was in 3rd grade. Back then I could not even eat because I was scared of v*, I had to be weighed each week by the nurse. After 7th grade, I went 6 years without a v* experience.. until I got to college. Senior year of high school and the beginning of college were fine for me, I lead a completely normal life, only having panic attacks when I saw someone v*. When I started dating my current boyfriend the first year of college, I literally was anxiety free, and had 3 different nights of v* brought on by drinking. It didn't affect me at all, in fact my friends and I laughed about it. Now, for some reason the anxiety is starting to come back. I find myself with extreme anxiety and IBS symptoms (which is normal for me) which just makes everything worse. I have been obsessive about things I cook and don't like eating out which I didn't like doing when I was little either. I find myself looking for an escape route everywhere I go. What I am wondering is how this came back. I was SO happy without the anxiety, I wish it would just stay away. My biggest goal in life is to some day be okay enough to get on a plane and travel somewhere far away; which seems like a very distant goal right now.

Default Re: my situation

Hey there!

First off, welcome to the site. I hope you find every support available here and that you can find some comfort with people whom can relate

In all honesty, I can't specifically say why your emet has popped back up again. It could be due to stress, it could be hormonal, it is truly hard to say. Having said that, try not to become to distressed or disheartened, easier said than done I know. But by nipping it in the bud now, you will be able to overcome it a lot quicker and easier. You have done it before, for the past several years, and just think if you were that strong before, you can definitely do it again!

Getting on that plane is definitely possible - never stop reaching for your goals

Please let us know how you are getting on, and please don't hesitate to private message me if you require it

Elphie x