Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Afraid of being sick yourself? Or afraid of others being sick? Or both?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm afraid of becoming ill

13 17.33%
  • I'm afraid of seeing/hearing someone else become ill

8 10.67%
  • Both scenarios freak me out

54 72.00%

Default Afraid of being sick yourself? Or afraid of others being sick? Or both?

Before I joined I didn't realize this phobia covers more than one spectrum. I'm afraid of others being sick but don't have a problem with getting sick myself (other than it sucks really bad and I still avoid it as much as possible). I never realized so many good people have such deep anxiety over becoming ill. So, now I'm very curious of what the ratio might be of people afraid of becoming sick vs. people afraid of seeing/hearing someone sick. Can we get some numbers?

Default Re: Afraid of being sick yourself? Or afraid of others being sick? Or both?

I thought the poll results would be the opposite! Well, I'm afraid to v, myself... I'm ok with others doing it (obviously besides feeling bad for them, especially my children...) Unless they have something I can catch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Afraid of being sick yourself? Or afraid of others being sick? Or both?

Definitely myself being sick. Sometimes you have no other choice but to hear or see others throw up, and I do not enjoy that at all for my own anxiety and like Valen said, feeling bad for the other person. But myself, I'm terrified of being sick and also have control issues where I want to think I can suppress it and keep it from happening. So myself v* is a much bigger deal for me.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Both. Getting increasingly better with dealing with myself when I feel sick though.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Both for me, but I'm only really afraid of others because I could catch it off of them. I can deal with drunks vomiting, I don't like it and I get the urge to run but I can usually stay and not be too bothered by it...as long as I know they're not contagious, of course!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I would truly rather die than have to v myself. I also can't deal with it when others are doing it-contagious or not.
    Basically I'm useless when it comes to dealing with v in anyway, shape or form
    Jennifer

Both for me. It doesn't matter the reason, relation of the person, etc. Everything surrounding it is terrifying to me.

Only afraid of being ill myself. I had a situation where I heard someone else two days ago and it didn't bother me at all.

Afraid of myself *v but also scared of others as it makes me feel vulnerable, always remember a hideous experience when I was 5 and a family friends kid *v in a bowl and then I *v all over my mums new carpet! Got in loads of trouble and its never left me! Hence my fear of *v in public!

Both.

It started with a fear of my mom being sick, which she does really loudly. Then it spread to fear of all OTHER people getting sick, now it includes myself and others. So it's definitely gotten worse over the years.

Both.

I am scared of being s* as its and unknown thing, I cant really remember the last time. When I was s* when I was younger it was never that bad though even with noro I was s* just once or twice and then I would be fine. I don't have a problem with d* either, I don't particularly like it but I can deal with it)

I cannot stand other people being s* for any reason. I am obviously more scared if people have noro or a sv* but I can't stand it either way.

I think my phobia stems from embarrassment though as when I was s* when I was younger I never ever ever made it to the toilet and now that I'm older I doubt I can just get away with being s* and then crying for my mom/dad.
    I know you find it hard to shine,
    When every turn you take is lined,
    With the fear of never making it alive.

The word Hope means a lot to me for many different reasons.

Tumblr blog about my Emet:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh also, my sister v* on me in a car so now I freak when I'm in the back of the car.
    I know you find it hard to shine,
    When every turn you take is lined,
    With the fear of never making it alive.

The word Hope means a lot to me for many different reasons.

Tumblr blog about my Emet:

Others being sick for any reason. Pyloric Stenosis as a baby or being trapped on bottom bunk.

Both scenarios for me. I freak if anyone else gets ill, even if its on the TV, and I freak if I feel even the slightest bit n*.

I'm only afraid of v*ing myself. It bothers me seeing/hearing other people v* if I know it is due to sv*, because then I feel I will catch it, but other people v*ing due to being drunk, motion sickness, in movies, et cetera, doesn't really bug me at all. However, when it's time for me to v*, I completely break down.
    "I'm not saying that I know what I want. . .
    But I know what I don't, don't want to rot in my room. And never know what could have been, believe what everyone else tells me is true."

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriwien View Post
    I actually kind of like seeing other people v*, it reassures me because they are still alive and not crying while they do it.
    Oneriwien, I TOTALLY relate! I was in Vegas earlier this year with a few friends, and one of them had too much to drink and had to v*. I sat there with her and watched her throw up, and I was thinking, "This isn't so bad. . ." Of course, let's see what happens when it's MY turn to v*.
    "I'm not saying that I know what I want. . .
    But I know what I don't, don't want to rot in my room. And never know what could have been, believe what everyone else tells me is true."

I'm terrified of myself getting sick but I'm okay with others v* unless I know it's something I can catch. But when others do v and I can't catch it, the noise of it freaks me out. I can't even watch scenes in movies with it because I am very empathetic and I will start to feel like how they are feeling.

I'm more afraid of my kids vomiting then myself, mostly because I have 95% control over myself. When they were babies it took a lot of effort not to throw them off of me while they were doing it. Even now that they are older (6, 3, and 3), my first instinct is to bolt from the room instead of help them out. I am just an awful mother when it comes to this! Luckily, my husband handles it well, so he takes over when they are sick.

When I was a kid/teenager I was petrified of it myself, though. I think that, over time, I realized that I had great success with suppressing it, so I don't worry about it that much anymore.

I also have to close my eyes and ears when someone vomits in a movie or something. Why, oh why, is there ALWAYS a vomit scene in movies???

Haha, it doesn't matter who is the one getting sick, if someone is, I freak out. I just can't stand it, but I think it's a little worse when it's others, because I think that if it can happen to them, it can happen to me
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

Definitely others. It used to bother me when I was s*, but after morning sickness with two kids, my v* doesn't bother me so much. I hate it when my kids or others are s*. I feel so helpless and useless.

Definitely both. If someone tells me they're not feeling good ill automatically freak out and leave or I'll keep asking them over and over if they are going to v* and if I start feeling sick I shut down, I cry, I won't eat. I don't want to get sick and v*

Both for sure. But I can't stand myself being ill more to be honest.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

For me, I'm scared of being sick myself. If someone else is sick, all I want to do is help them out, even if it puts me at risk of being ill.

I am terrified of BOTH!

I am scared of both, but more so myself... Others basically bother me if it's contagious...

I would like to add a comment to my answer of fearing both: I only fear others V*ing if they are contagious. If someone is drunk or pregnant (non-contagious), I won't freak out.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

both scares me to death!

I am more scared to v* than to witness in some form someone else do it. But I think, like a lot of other people on here, other people v*ing doesn't bother me that much unless they are contagious (or it is unknown to me whether they are contagious, at which case I automatically assume they are and get really edgy).

I hate both! But drunk v*ing or v*ing for reasons like migraines or morning sickness doesn't bother me as much (even though I find it disgusting) because I know I won't catch it.
    As long as it's contagious any person who v* scares me half to death.

And of course its all because I don't wanna v* myself.