Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Noro going round.....scared!!

So there have been quite a few facebook statuses and the like about people with noro over the past week, and people are saying 'ohhh yeah it's going around you know'. Well we have mock exams at the moment at school so it's about 130 people all in the sports hall at once, and today before one of them it was raining so everyone crowded into the entrance bit, literally you could not move for people it was so packed. Well it was only after this that I found out that one of my friends felt really really sick for loads of the day, like she was going to v*, and although she had gone home before the crowding of people it really got me worried that I've got it now.

Can noro be spread by breathing in the same air as infected people? And I know that symptoms don't usually start until 12-24 hours after infection, and it hasn't been that long yet, but seeing as I've been able to eat and not felt any symptoms at all apart from anxiety ones, is it likely that I've been infected with it?

I'm not so panicky yet...but I really really don't want it to get worse. Any general tips for avoiding noro?

Thank you so much,

Naomixxx

Default Re: Noro going round.....scared!!

You can't catch the norovirus from breathing the same air as an infected person. You have to somehow get fecal matter (v or d) in your mouth for it to be swallowed and enter into your intestines where it will then cause distress. The only way you would catch it breathing it, is if you were standing directly next to someone who was v-ing, and some of the v droplets got into your nose or mouth that were floating in the surrounding air. If you keep your hands away from your face, especially your eyes and mouth, and wash them thoroughly before you touch anything that goes into your mouth, you decrease your chances of getting the stomach virus by a lot. It's spread through fecal-oral contact so don't worry about being in a crowded place with someone who has it. Not possible.

Default Re: Noro going round.....scared!!

Ugh, I know how you feel about it going around! My grandma was just sick but she thinks it was food poisining since it wasn't that bad, she said. But, I'm still terrified!!! Then the city, I used to live in which is 15 mins from , had an noro outbreak at the middle school. over 300 students went home sick! I hate this time of year. But like vball said, you cannot get it by just breathing the air unless you're right next to the person when they are actually sick.