Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Kinda O/T: Anxiety about the dentist and eye doctor.

Does anyone else dread those visits, even if not for what they entail but just having to sit in a chair while someone examines you? Like claustrophobic feeling and a good sort of scenario where a panic attack would occur.

I have been having really annoying migraines this week, including now and it's making me feel n*.. right before Thanksgiving Day, which is really awesome. (not!)

And I think it might be that I haven't had my glasses or contact prescriptions updated in awhile. I feel like it is the source.. and I have a dental appointment coming up soon too.

I'm really nervous about both and would rather not do them at all but they seem necessary. How do you handle doctor visits like that? Any advice? Seems silly but it's been so long since I've gone to either and the last times, well, those were different, non anxiety-fueled times.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Default Re: Kinda O/T: Anxiety about the dentist and eye doctor.

I love the dentist because I never need any work done (touch wood) and he's absolutely gorgeous lol. The opticians always gives me a couple of minutes flake out where I'm convinced they're going to say I have a brain tumour or something but that's just me being crazy. I'd say that the best thing to do is just to tell yourself that you can 'escape' if you need to. It's not the end of the world if you have to ask them to stop so you can go and grab a breath of fresh air. But I doubt you'll need to do that anyways. Take deep breaths, tell yourself it'll be over soon and I bet you'll be fine.

I have been to both (eye dr & dentist twice) this month, and all was fine. I was a little nervous about the dentist beforehand, but took an anxiety pill before & did fine. The only thing that bothered me was that I had to have 2 1/2 hrs of dental work done on my 2nd visit, and they gave me the gas... Being on it that long coupled with laying kind of at a decline in the chair made me a bit dizzy, and I had a "nitrous hangover" afterwards. Went away & was able to take my 3 yr old trick or treating that night (was on Halloween ). I totally understand the claustrophobic feeling, but I push through it because I know proper eye & dental care are what I need to do for my health. Kinda like a "don't want to but do it anyway" thing you'll be fine!

I love visiting the opticions because my eyes never change so its in,check them,out without any need to strengthen them.
    Dentist kinda scares me because every time i go she wants to do fillings and i HATE NEEDLES,espically in my MOUTH,ive avoided the dentist so youre not the only one to worry about Dentists