Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, I have not been here in awhile. Tomorrow, in science class, we have a frog dissection. I personally think how they kill the frogs just for the purpose of dissecting them is wrong, but I'm still going to do (or watch) it anyways because I think it affects my grade. The reason I am afraid is because many of the kids say that when they were doing it, they felt like throwing up, and one kid I know actually did throw up from it last semester. I do not know if it is the sight of the frog that makes them feel sick, or the smell, or what. We dissected I cow eyeball (EW!) a few weeks ago, and it smelt very bad. I think I almost felt a little sick. I imagine the frog will be worse. Anyways, I am sure some of the other people here have done those dissections, as they are pretty standard. I guess. Um... do people commonly get sick from these things and what should I do to prevent myself from feeling sick? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thank you,

LizzyEdited by: youngemet222

I've done this awhile ago and I have to say it wasn't bad at all. No one I knew got sick or even said they felt sick. I don't even remember thinking about it much that day so that means that it couldn't have been too terrible! I've never dissected an eyeball, but I have heard they are worse. Frogs aren't bad. At my school they just dyed the parts different colors and it didn't even look like what it was. Trust me, not bad at all, nothing you need to worry about.

It's been a few years since I was at school but I don't remember feeling sick myself or anyone else saying it made them feel ill. I don't recall ding the disecting bit myself (I'm a vegetarian so probably got out of it that way!) but I don't recall if being traumatic.

Is there any way you can sit back and let somebody else do the deed - I think it's awful that your grades are dependant on this, not everyone relishes the thought of cutting up a dead creature [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    Nikki

YUCKO! I managed to avoid that one. If youw ere OK w/ the eyeball than I'm sure you will be fine w/ the frog. ICK! Also, I've heard of a website that you can "electronically" do it so no real frog is killed and you canstill learn everything. Maybe your school has that software available?
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

At my school we had to disect a fetal pig for our Biology final. It took a full week because there was so much we had to do. I was scared to death about it and my partner turned out to bea major slacker so I pretty much had to do the entire thing. I was fine and so was everyone else in the class. I don't remember anyone getting sick from it. The smell did hit me hard at first everyday, but then you get used to it. It isn't even the smell of the pig, but the smell of the formaldahyde (sp) that is so awful. What was worse for me was in my Biology II class, we had to get a skull of an animal (roadkill or something) and completely clean it out to display just the bones. The father of one girl was a butcher, so she got the head of a cow to do. It took her forever, so eventually it really started to smell. I did get n* with that one!

Hey, I totally understand how you would be nervous.

This year in Biology we had to dissect a heart, a brain, and an eye. You should be absolutely fine, because it is usually the formaldehyde that makes people feel sick, and it is only people who don't really care of the get sick that don't stop themselves from throwing up. And keep it in mind that the teachers know how hard it is for some people to do this, so they probably wont have a problem if you want to leave the room.

Good luck with it!
    \"We have nothing to fear but fear itself.\"

You should be fine. When I was in 9th grade we had to do our frog
    dissections without gloves and everyone was okay. When it comes to
    dissection, a frog is one of the pretty easy ones actually.

In biology this year we worked with fetal pigs and those were worse
    than frogs. They aren't horrible, but the do get a sort of funk after a
    few days (plus my teacher also filled the room with the combined smell
    of apple scented candle and pinesol.....blech!). I managed to handle it
    though so you should be fine.

I remember only the chemical smell being the worst part of dissection. I actually thought it was cool. When I was little, I was a tomboy and liked bugs, snakes, and other nasty stuff, so this was no big deal to me. I was a mean little 7th grader and held up the dead frog in front of my (boy) partner's face and he screamed like a girl and ran away and I laughed at him. I was so mean! But nobody got sick from any dissections I can remember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That is interesting because it is usually the boys who try to gross the girls out. Like, this boy came up to my friend and I at lunch the day before the dissection, when their period had already done it, and was waving a frog leg he wanted to keep as a...um...memory of the dissection, I guess, in her face when we first started eating. It was gross. And in my class, there is only one boy at my table, and he likes to gross us girls out. Not all boys, but a lot do that kind of stuff in my grade.

Anyways, the dissection went fine. I thought it was interesting. But I do feel sorry for the little froggy that was killed. Also, the froggy was so cute, to me....

Lizzy

I'm sure the dissection is over by now, but I thought sharing my own experience with dissection may help. In my anatomy class two years ago, we did the annual cat dissection. Yes, we dissected full grown cats. As a cat owner myself, I was sure I would feel N* through the whole thing and I was positive someone was sure to v*. Good news! No one ever reported even feeling N* for the entire two weeks we worked on them. And, it was very interesting to look inside a real heart and other organs. I've never dissected a frog, but I'm sure it would be just as interesting. Enjoy the experience and learn from it. Let us know how it turns out!!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

My 10th grade biology teacher was all about dissections! We
    dissected a crayfish, a kitten, a fetal pig, a frog and a rat!!!
    She was a little nutty. But as far as I can remember, no
    one had any problems. The smell is a little over-powering, but
    you get used to it rather quickly. The frog almost looked
    fake. There is nothing to worry about. You will do
    fine. Good luck! Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by roxxi277
    We dissected a crayfish, a kitten, a fetal pig, a frog and a rat!!!

A kitten????? I wonder why kittens/cats. Maybe it's due to availability??? Do you think they get them from animal shelters that euthanize homeless cats and kittens?

We disected a frog, wormand a clam. No one got sick, I was interested in it and thought it was super cool, I had wanted to be a doctor at that time. But I think I would have cried during the whole thing if it would have been a kitten/cat or a piglet!!! That makes me sad. Our biology teacher would ask the deer hunters in the fall to look for gut piles out in the woods (people usually gut the deer out in the woods sotheother animals eat the guts and people don't have to put them in their garbage, and so the deer is lighter to carry in from the woods)and bring in the liver, heart and lungs for us to look at.

And btw, I would think disecting an eye would be much worse than a frog. Makes me think of fear factor... *shudder*.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I have no problem with frogs, cow eyes, crayfish, worms, etc. But a cat!!!!!!! I would cry! That's terrible. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.