Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default When did things change??

I have 4 kids, and HATE it when they sick, or are lethargic as I think they are going to be sick.I completely panic, I hardly sleep because I panic that they are going to be sick....the sick bug is going a round school and I am freaking once more...but when they were a baby, I didn't mind them spitting up milk, nor when they were weaning or toddlers and they do that foodie sick, I can't pinpoint when I took a dislike to them properly vomiting....do any of you relate to this?

Default Re: When did things change??

I have 4 kids as well and it is a constant battle. I too didn't mind a bit of formual throw up when they were babies. It was when they started eating solids that it really started to bother me. Right now on Facebook there are tons of people with some sort of stomach bug and every day when my kids come home from school I panic and start watching for symptoms that they've somehow caught it. I've even contemplated pulling them from school a couple of days before Christmas holidays to make sure we don't catch it before Christmas because we have lots of driving around to do and my biggest fear is I'll be stuck in a vehicle with them while they're sick. Last year a stomach bug ruined our entire Christmas holiday because every 3 days one more person in our family had it and the last to get it was my daughter and she had it at my Moms at Christmas dinner!!! I know how you feel and it's very tough. The best we can do is make sure our kids have good hygiene and hope for the best I guess. I also make sure I stock up on tons of sanitary products before winter like Lysol spray and medicine. I totally relate to what you're going through and my husband thinks I'm bananas LOL but I just try my best to be there for my kids when they're sick as best as I can and I've been thinking about getting those disposable masks that doctors wear and some gloves so I can be in the room with them when they're sick without as much fear.

I'm the same way.. I dont remember when i started feeling differently. But im pretty sure it prob started when my daughter first got a sv.. I didnt mind the spitting up- bc i felt like i couldnt get anything sicky from a baby, or toddler. I have three kids (ages 6, 5, and 2)..im still in the place where if my two yr old 'throws up', i will be ok..bc he's still a 'baby'.. But i go crazy if one of my big kids throw up..bc it seems more real somehow. IDK if that makes sense. I hope it helps u realize tho, tht ur not alone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's night time again in the Uk and I dread going to sleep incase I am woken by one of the children being sick....I don't live with my partner, but he's always got his fone on so I can ring him, and he will come over if one of kids are poorly, which is daft cos the episode will be over by the time he gets here!!! I hate this fear. Bizarrely I can remember nearly EVERYTIME I have been sick. I don't know why I have retained those memories, I can handle (just) being ill, I shut my eyes, then flush the loo. Then I always think "well that wasn't as bad as I thought..." but within two days I have built it up to this horrendous fear again....anf
    d then I live in fear of sickness, my friends daughters been sick and I am constantly checking her fbook to see the progress or if she's been sick anymore...it's kind of obsessive.....do any of you restrict your lifestyle? I eat out, eat at friends, use public transport, so I am not sure if I am a full on emet or just someone with an intense dislike to sick!! My counsellor seems to think I have had a traumatic incident with sick but to be honest, nothing really has come to mind.....and I am no nearer to getting over this....I get jelly legs, my body goes cold, I shake, i feel faint if anyone's ill near me. But I can clean it up....which is again bizzarrd, if my cat or dog is icky its not a problem at all to clean it up....so there is no pattern to my phobia...but I can't watch anyone I'll on tv. Unless its really really fake or pretend,..YBF a uk home video show is awful if they flash the warning up...I shut my eyes and fingers in ears!!! I couldn't watch Jackass....lol. That's enough rambling....night night everyone xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Nesstabbycat View Post
    I have 4 kids, and HATE it when they sick, or are lethargic as I think they are going to be sick.I completely panic, I hardly sleep because I panic that they are going to be sick....the sick bug is going a round school and I am freaking once more...but when they were a baby, I didn't mind them spitting up milk, nor when they were weaning or toddlers and they do that foodie sick, I can't pinpoint when I took a dislike to them properly vomiting....do any of you relate to this?
    I'm not a Mum, but babies spitting up milk really doesn't bother me. My music teacher's baby spits up on me all the time and it's just... nothing, it's fine. I think for me, and this is graphic and gross, but when it starts to become more solid, and when there's bits of identifiable food in it, that really makes me panic.

And I know it's not quite the same, but with my dogs, I get freaked out if they're lethargic because I think they're going to be sick, I totally relate.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesstabbycat View Post
    I eat out, eat at friends, use public transport, so I am not sure if I am a full on emet or just someone with an intense dislike to sick!! My counsellor seems to think I have had a traumatic incident with sick but to be honest, nothing really has come to mind.....and I am no nearer to getting over this....I get jelly legs, my body goes cold, I shake, i feel faint if anyone's ill near me.
    I'm like that too. I freak out if someone is sick close to me or in my home cause I am scared of catching it, but I don't really restrict my lifestyle. I go out to eat too, go shopping, take public transportation, etc. I'm just really careful with handwashing and the such. But I do have a panic attack and refuse to touch anything at home if someone has been sick there. Like, I'll eat out for a week or two and clean like crazy. I happen to have a cat who sometimes will eat too fast and puke, and while I usually ask my mom to clean it I could bring myself to do it if I wanted, but I never could clean up human v*.