Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello all! I wanted to let you all know that this is like the 4th time I have ever written Dr. Phil. I wrote a long letter. I have never had a response from him, but this time would be nice.

First of all, I let him know that I am almost done reading his "Self Matters" book and his "Relationship Rescue" book. I explained to him that there are certain things that I cannot do in his Self Matters book because of my emetaphobia. I then proceeded to tell him about many other emets that also would like his help. I told him briefly about this site, and also mentioned how alot of us wrote him a letter and we will be sending them to him. I let him know that there were some lonnnnng stories and some short ones. I made it known how we are all suffering from this phobia, and how debilitating it is.

I must ask...did anyone send out the letters to him yet?? If not, I will do it if you all would like. I will do it tomorrow if no one else has done it. I let him know that he will be receiving them sooner or later.

Oh you guys....do you think he will help us??? I sure hope so. I will let you know if I get a response from him or his staff. Cross your fingers; we all could use some help from Dr. Phil!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Charlotte
    Spring is here!

I have not written to Dr. Phil. However, I would not feel at all
    offended by his not responding to you. Here's how I feel about
    Dr. Phil. I think he began his career loving his work. Then
    he was hired as Oprah's therapist during her mad cow disease
    debacle. Then she offered him a weekly spot on her show. It
    was screemingly popular for two reasons. First , it was
    Oprah. Second, one day of Dr. Phil was nice. He was still a
    caring practioner.

Fast forward to his own show. He has gotten way out of hand AND
    full of himself. He now does nothing but sell books and make
    guest appearances. He also is star struck and tries to surround
    himself with celebs. What has discredited him in my book is when
    he pushes his wife, as an expert, on people. She has no
    background in therapy. In "real life" he would lose his license
    for doing such a thing.

The man has sensationalized many topics and has had people reveal the
    most private things about themselves - rape, incest, sex addictions -
    on national

television. He has gotten like every other sensationalized talk
    show. The only thing different is he uses his PhD to elevate
    himself.

Don't feel bad about him not responding. He's way too busy with
    his celebrity. You are better off locating a good therapit who
    can give you a "one on one" relationship.

Stella

Firstly, I'll just say that I love Dr. Phil. I don't really agree with your oppinion of him although I definitely respect it. I'm all about agreeing to disagree. The world would be awfull boring if we were all alike.

What I wanted to say/ask was... I heard that his Phd is actually in anthropology, not psychology. I am not sure how true, but I found that funny. Actually, you don't even need a license to be a psychotherapist, so what he does with letting his wife help out is not at all illegal. I could become a counsellor right now. You only need an education and licensure to be a psychologist.

Anyway... I am sure that this man has loads of help mail coming his way. Also, I highly doubt he personally reads anything untill it's given to him by some assistant of some sort who finds it interesting and good for ratings I really hope he ends up reading yours (and all of ours) though..
    \"This too shall pass\"

I have wondered how he ended up on Oprah's show. I had thought maybe he had counseled her through something. What was with Oprah and this mad cow disease stuff?

I love Dr.Phil! I watch his show every night. I'm not sure what sort of degree he has, but I do know one thing. His advice has helped my relationship with my husband. I agree that his show may be a little "sensationalized" but it is still better than any reality show I've seen so far!

Jess

Jennyleigh, she had apparent;y said soemthing about nto wanting to eat meat during a mad cow outbreak or whatever and some beef dudes in Texas sued her. Dr. Phil helped w/ jury selection and helped her thru it w/ his "tough love" deal.

I'm glad you emailed him Charlotte. I don't know about hearing back. I tend to agree that his emails are previously screened so he will not see it unless soemone else say "hmm, interesting" Good luck anyhow, whether you love him or hate him it's exposure for this phobia.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm not too big of a fan of Dr. Phil. Plus it's easier to get help from a therapist you can visit 1 on 1 in person rather than watching someone explain your phobia on TV. Even though it would be cool to get emet out into the mainstream so more people would know about it.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Well, I have to say that I am somewhat of your opinion about Dr. Phil. I have heard that his degree is in industrial psychology, but I am not entirely sure.

His wife really bugs me. She's syrupy saccharin in a Kathie Lee Gifford way (remember her?). I find that Dr. Phil is pretty rigid about gender roles: "Here's what a man is like; here's what a woman is like." That has always bothered me.

At the same time, I do think it is good that he sets most of the people on his show up with long-term therapy.

Even so, I think it would be good to get emetophobia out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by stella9
    I have not written to Dr. Phil. However, I would not feel at all offended by his not responding to you. Here's how I feel about Dr. Phil. I think he began his career loving his work. Then he was hired as Oprah's therapist during her mad cow disease debacle. Then she offered him a weekly spot on her show. It was screemingly popular for two reasons. First , it was Oprah. Second, one day of Dr. Phil was nice. He was still a caring practioner.

Fast forward to his own show. He has gotten way out of hand AND full of himself. He now does nothing but sell books and make guest appearances. He also is star struck and tries to surround himself with celebs. What has discredited him in my book is when he pushes his wife, as an expert, on people. She has no background in therapy. In "real life" he would lose his license for doing such a thing.

The man has sensationalized many topics and has had people reveal the most private things about themselves - rape, incest, sex addictions - on national
    television. He has gotten like every other sensationalized talk show. The only thing different is he uses his PhD to elevate himself.

Don't feel bad about him not responding. He's way too busy with his celebrity. You are better off locating a good therapit who can give you a "one on one" relationship.

Stella

Well, I am dying to know; what is it that can't be done in his books because of emet? He doesn't write about vomit, does he????

Quote Originally Posted by charzysbebe

Hello all! I wanted to let you all know that this is like the 4th time I have ever written Dr. Phil. I wrote a long letter. I have never had a response from him, but this time would be nice.

First of all, I let him know that I am almost done reading his "Self Matters" book and his "Relationship Rescue" book. I explained to him that there are certain things that I cannot do in his Self Matters book because of my emetaphobia. I then proceeded to tell him about many other emets that also would like his help. I told him briefly about this site, and also mentioned how alot of us wrote him a letter and we will be sending them to him. I let him know that there were some lonnnnng stories and some short ones. I made it known how we are all suffering from this phobia, and how debilitating it is.

I must ask...did anyone send out the letters to him yet?? If not, I will do it if you all would like. I will do it tomorrow if no one else has done it. I let him know that he will be receiving them sooner or later.

Oh you guys....do you think he will help us??? I sure hope so. I will let you know if I get a response from him or his staff. Cross your fingers; we all could use some help from Dr. Phil!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Charlotte

I love Dr. Phil and how he's so straight forward and logical. There are some people on his show that have their head in the clouds and you feel like screaming for them to wake up. He's a black and white type of person, as am I, so I really can understand and relate to his thinking and advice. Some people need the tough love thing....

I agree with everyone who said that he probably doesn't read his email/letters. People like him hire minions to do that type of work, lol!

If a person looked around, I'm sure there are a number of therapists that subscribe to his way of treatment.... everyone has a role model. But some can't afford therapy and his type of show is their only self help type thing available. Hurray if this works, because getting people aware of emet will only help. If only medical doctors watched the show, huh?
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Dr. Phil does have a degree in psycholgy and was in private practice
    for several years as a therapist. This information is on
    the bio section of his books. Therefore, what he allows his wife
    to do on the show, give advise as an expert, IS something that he would
    lose his license for if he did in private practice. The reason he
    does not using this TV arena is because of all the disclaimers that
    state what he does is for entertainment purposes. This legal
    mumbo jumbo protects him out the ying-yang.

What disturbs me about him is that he does a bit of a dog-and-pony show
    at other people's expenses. There are a ton of vulnerable folks
    out there and sometimes I think he is a little two caught up in his own
    celebrity and loses sight of that. He was way more humbler just a
    few years back before he had his own start.

Stella

Quote Originally Posted by japa
    To answer your question...no he doesn't talk about vomit. He talks about ways of making life much easier and how we can get rid alot of our old habits and ways that make us miserable. Here is part of my letter that I sent to him...maybe you will understand what I am talking about...

I am in the process of finishing up your book, "Self-Matters". I am halfway done reading your "Relationship Rescue" too. You see, I started with the "Relationship Rescue" book, but decided "hell, what am I doing? I need to work on myself more, first!" So, I am. Well, I am really getting some good insight with your "Self Matters" book! Only one problem...you know where your book says something along the lines of, "sometimes your thoughts happen so fast that you just automatically decide something, and to solve that problem, you need to close your eyes and relax, and start talking/writing about what messages come to mind"? Well, I can do that, and I think that doing that will help me alot...only I tried that, and found out that alot of my negetive thoughts and actions are revolved around my phobia, and I don't know how to change it. My life would be so good, and I could easily pick apart some of my problems, but alot of my problems stem from this stupid irrational fear I have; the fear of vomit/vomiting, also known as "emetaphobia". Here is how I figured this out; first off, let me just say...I hate Sundays. Why? Well, because I have 2 of my other kids (that are in their father's custody) on these days, and every Sunday is the same. I wake up, eat my breakfast, nag and complain and bicker at my husband and other children, then head out the door to get my other 2, so they can spend the day with us. Finally I decided, that when I got up one Sunday morning, I would lay in bed and ask my self what is it about Sundays that I hate? Is it my kids?...no. Is it the fact that we are broke and have nothing to do?...no. DUH!! It is my phobia!! I figured out, that my anxiety and anger comes from the fact, that the minute I get out of bed on Sunday mornings, I get scared; scared that my other 2 kids may vomit when they come over; scared that they could be carrying a stomach virus; therefore, leaving me on edge...all day long, and everyone suffers.

Well, I am dying to know; what is it that can't be done in his books because of emet? He doesn't write about vomit, does he????

Quote Originally Posted by charzysbebe

Spring is here!

Hmmmm, don't know how my post got all mixed up...but it is supposed to say. "Charlotte wrote:" on the top, instead of "japa". Anyways, the post above is my reply to japa...and not a reply to my own post...lol! Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Quote Originally Posted by 2jo2

I love Dr. Phil and how he's so straight forward and logical. There are some people on his show that have their head in the clouds and you feel like screaming for them to wake up.

You gotta think, if people saw the show with our phobia, they might think the same thing. Cause it is kind of a weird phobia to have, yah know. I dont' know, just trying to put myself in thier shoes.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Quote Originally Posted by r311dude
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jo2

I love Dr. Phil and how he's so straight forward and logical. There are some people on his show that have their head in the clouds and you feel like screaming for them to wake up.

You gotta think, if people saw the show with our phobia, they might think the same thing. Cause it is kind of a weird phobia to have, yah know. I dont' know, just trying to put myself in thier shoes.

I know... if only everyone watched those shows as educational, and not "hey look at that freak show".
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11