Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emet VS kids.....

Before I say anything, I just want to express my upmost respect for mothers/fathers on here who deal with their emet while trying to juggle a 'normal' family life... From what I've read, you all seem to deal with any v* - related situations so well.. My concern is that my emet will, most probably, prevent me from having children because I just don't think I'm strong enough to deal with pregnancy/being able to look after them when they're ill...honestly, I'd just want to put them in a little bubble so they'd be safe from v*

I sincerely hope I will learn to work around this, but it saddens me that this stupid bloody phobia can have such an insane impact on my life. Bleurgh.

Default Re: Emet VS kids.....

I hear you.. don't want kids either because they v* and I'm scared of pregnancy because morning sickness is horrible (not to mention feeling like a whale for months, the health risks and actually giving birth with the whole thing about tearing and..*shudder*). Guess I'm looking forward to a life as a crazy cat lady (I can handle kitty puke, somewhat).

The scariest thing I think for me would be that I would give my fear to them somehow, if I didn't stay strong or react reasonably to them being sick. I hope that I would be and could do that... because I don't blame my family for my phobia, but I do wonder if they hadn't freaked out most times that I v* as a kid, maybe it would not have seemed so frightening to me during those times of illness.

But on the other hand, I was afraid of a lot of things so it may not have mattered regardless. But you just never know.. because we pick up so many of our fears when we are children and the way they are dealt with by parents and others has to play a role. That is what irks me.. I feel like cleaning up after them and taking care them I might be able to do. Like AoD, you mention cats, I can deal with their puke. Not happily but I do it.. because you have no other choice and also I love them. haha.

So I *think* I could do that for my own kids, but I would hope my way of doing so and in helping them when they're sick would keep them from becoming terrified of v*.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

I never thought I would have kids due to the v... What would I do if they v..... Eventually my biological clock kicked in and after some major infertility treatments, I have 2 kids. I have survived them v... I do not get too upset when I do it myself. Prob a good thing since morn sickness never went away with my daughter. Got kinda used to it. Get up, v..., brush teeth, get dressed. My daughter buried me 2x this summer. I did not run screaming down the street. I took care of her. I am still struggling with trying surround myself with other kids so my own can socialize.

By the way, most women do not v.. when preg. Movies are retarded. I am one of the rare people where my morning sickness did not go away. My docs all gave me the weird look that told me I was not a normal textbook preg woman. It was usually in the morn, I was always at home or in the hospital. I could brush my teeth and eat right after which is not normal for me. It really feels diff than the sv.

Bex, if you can get some treatment now. I have wasted too many years on my life worried about v.... All the things I did not do, the people I did not meet, the nights spent at home being a semi hermit.

Luckily, my phobia wasn't as bad when I had my daughter 3 years ago-- has come back with a vengeance over the past year. No morning sickness either My husband does the cleaning up when she's sick (& of course I re-do it because I'm a freak like that )... BUT emet has definitely kept me from wanting another child. I feel really guilty saying that but it's true. Not just because of when they are sick but because I feel pretty much a mess right now due to it & don't feel like the best mom . I feel like some others do, that I'm passing it onto my child. It's so prevalent in my life at the moment that I'm not doing a very good job of hiding it from her, I don't think.

Father of three here and I would not trade it in for the world. My daughter will be 3 next week, she has only v less than a handful of times. My twin sons who are 13 months have never v. This is not including the baby spit up. I never thought I could deal with any of it. From being there for birth, to cutting umbilical cords, to changing diapers and dealing with v. But in all honesty, your human instinct kicks in and you do it. For example, earlier this week my daughter v. My first reaction was not to freak, it was to make her comfortable. Then I freaked lol. Being a parent has been the greatest experience of my life, you just have to take this day by day and focus on the good as opposed to this irrational fear we all have here.

I cant speak for anyone else on here, but I felt just like u do..before i had my kids. Aside from the fears of morning sickness (which i had plenty of, but never vomited), I was afraid of the labor, delivery, and then having the children get sick. BUT, even with this intense fear, I am able to handle my kids very well when they are ill. Of course i am always afraid i will catch whatever they have..But when u have kids, your motherly instinct kind of kicks in. Now, i dont like dealing with other people's kids, lol..but my own dont cause me too many problems. I think U should really weigh the pros and cons Kids are awesome, and i would hate to know this emet could keep u from experiencing the joys of being a parent someday!! To ease ur mind, not alot of people get morning sickness. & its easy to swat off if it does happen..just by eating.. I really hope u think about all of this This fear runs alot of parts in our lives already..Dont let it hold u back on the biggest/greatest thing u could do! good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for all the replies everyone
    I'm sure as soon as I HAD children that instinct would kick in, and I'd learn to deal with v* because that's what parents kinda have to do...trouble is, I can't even get past the fear to get to that stage. I mean, this is all hypothetical anyway because even without the emet I'm certainly not ready for sprogs just yet...I was just thinking long term...
    Thing is, I'm gay, so in theory I could still bring children up without having to endure the pregnancy part (providing hypothetic partner agrees, of course). Well, that's my plan, anyway. Is that a ridiculously selfish attitude?!!
    Gahhh, I hate this effing phobia

Why selfish? Your future partner might want the joy of carrying a child. Whatever happens make sure you are able to remain in the child's life even if you are not the biological parent should the relationship end if there is a legal way you can do it. Anyway, my 2 cents.

I didn't suffer from text book morning sickness. I did v one night whilst I was preg and put this down to being around a younger cousin who was ill. I have been lucky in that my son hasn't been been too ill, the times he has have been down to coughing fits from asthma which makes it easier for me to handle than if he had noro or rota. You somehow manage to get through it especially when you are on your own. I manage just so he doesn't get upset. If I have handled it I always feel really happy with myself afterwards. I don't about passing it onto your children, my son is a typical boy. I constantly have to remind him to wash his hands etc but recently with the noro stuff I have gotten him wash his hands without being asked and as I am typing this an ad for Dettol came on which he drew my attention to.

I think bottom line once you have kids you overlook all of that stuff because you just have to get on with it even if you are cleaning up v* whilst crying your eyes out!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bex View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone
    I'm sure as soon as I HAD children that instinct would kick in, and I'd learn to deal with v* because that's what parents kinda have to do...trouble is, I can't even get past the fear to get to that stage. I mean, this is all hypothetical anyway because even without the emet I'm certainly not ready for sprogs just yet...I was just thinking long term...
    Thing is, I'm gay, so in theory I could still bring children up without having to endure the pregnancy part (providing hypothetic partner agrees, of course). Well, that's my plan, anyway. Is that a ridiculously selfish attitude?!!
    Gahhh, I hate this effing phobia
    I agree with Cynna. I don't think it's selfish at all. As she stated, you may find a partner that wants to go through a pregnancy. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I want to have babies more than anything else in the world and it's not the morning sickness that worries me most as I think I could probably stop myself from actually bringing anything up if I really wanted to, it's the thought of the child getting sick and me freaking out about it thus passing the phobia onto them.

I have not run down the street screaming. My daughter buried me 2x this summer. I held a bowl for my son. My love for them got me through. No my husband (who can take care of himself) or a stranger....panic central.

Don't let this fear keep you from your dreams. Get treatment now.

When I was younger, I wanted children. As the years went by, I gradually changed my mind.

I don't want kids for the primary reason of v*. I could probably suffer through the morning sickness myself--I'd FIND ways to calm my stomach--but having them v* would definately cause me to panic. Thus, I don't think I'd make a very good mother, not being able to "handle" it. Sometimes I also have random panic attacks (it's very very rare that it's not connected to emet) and if feels like the world stops when that happens. I married a man who wanted kids, but I let him know from the beginning that it probably wasn't going to happen with me. People ask why we aren't having kids, and I tend to give them a different excuse because I don't want to admit my phobia (my husband's family has a genetic disorder--Huntington's--so people sometimes assume that's the reason).

I don't have a problem with cat v*, by the way. Never bothered me, watching, hearing, cleaning up. I think its because it's a different cause/not the norovirus that causes it and thus I can't get it.

I often wonder if my parents hated me for vting when I was a kid, because I definately hated myself for doing it. I felt sorry for my parents having to clean up after such a revolting little girl that I was. I know that I could never cope with that, so I didn`t keep the one child that I had. I still feel guilty about vting & upseting my parents all those years ago.

Hairy, parents hate the v... not their own child.

Hairy, sometimes I see so much pain in your posts. I wish one day you could find a therapist so you can learn to forgive yourself for v... in front of your parents, forgive/forget about v... at school, and put all the pain/hatred/negativity to rest. I hope you find peace one day.