Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Gravol (Dramamine) suppositories

This Internet company will ship Gravol (Dramamine) suppositories to the US for $8.49 + $9.99 shipping:

https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/pr...0suppositories

As we've discussed before, Gravol (Dramamine) can prevent vomiting even with a stomach virus. The suppository form can be used to introduce the medication even when the stomach has shut down in preparation for vomiting.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Gravol (Dramamine) suppositories

Are they difficult to insert? I only ask because I've had bad experiences with suppositories in the past.

I have used Gravol Suppositories for my kids when they could not keep anything down. Worked like a charm. They are absorbed in the intestine and work fairly quickly. As Gumdropper said, when the stomach shuts down, taking gravol (or any other antiemetic) is not helpful as it is too late. I have also used them and have not had trouble inserting them. And the benefits far outweigh any discomfort.
    Last edited by ballykissangel; 11-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.

before I start throwing all my money at this website, what exactly is dramamine? what does it do and what makes it work so well? I though it was just for motion sickness...
    keep a cool head, and breathe easy, my friend

can you get these in the uk? or is there an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by ballykissangel View Post
    I have used Gravol Suppositories for my kids when they could not keep anything down. Worked like a charm. They are absorbed in the intestine and work fairly quickly. As Gumdropper said, when the stomach shuts down, taking gravol (or any other antiemetic) is not helpful as it is too late. I have also used them and have not had trouble inserting them. And the benefits far outweigh any discomfort.
    That's good. Do they work if you also have diarrhea? I ask because I once had a virus where I had diarrhea for over 12 hours before the vomiting started.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRoo View Post
    before I start throwing all my money at this website, what exactly is dramamine? what does it do and what makes it work so well? I though it was just for motion sickness...
    Well, it is for motion sickness, also an antihistamine (though less effective than benadryl). It can help prevent vomiting from other causes, but it isn't a cure all. There's some evidence it can reduce the severity and frequency of v* from sv but it isn't 100% effective. They're not really sure why it helps in the case of sv, actually. To be perfectly honest, nothing is 100% effective in preventing nausea and v* from sv*, even really powerful antiemetics like zofran. That's because part of the mechanism behind v* in viral infections seems to be different than stimulation of the chemoreceptor zone and the vomiting center. It can help someone fight the nausea and v* though, making it more feasible to control and avoid v*. And obviously it's a good option to have it as a suppository when you already are sick... works even people can't keep anything down.

I myself won't get those suppositories because if there's one thing I fear more than vomiting, it's inserting anything up my rectum. When I was little, I had to get suppositories and enemas because I got constipated from holding back. It hurt a lot, and I was traumatized.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRoo View Post
    Dramamine is a primarily a motion sickness pill but it can also prevent ordinary vomiting. It is advertised in Canada for exactly this purpose but is not approved to be advertised for that in the U.S. I think Dramamine works by suppressing the vomiting center in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
    That's good. Do they work if you also have diarrhea? I ask because I once had a virus where I had diarrhea for over 12 hours before the vomiting started.
    Yes, you can use the suppositories if you have diarrhea, but you have to be able to keep them in for at least 20 minutes before expelling anything anally. If you have 12 hours of diarrhea but no vomiting, then you could use oral Dramamine/Gravol which is available in any drug store.

I live in Canada and I've used Gravol and it's great!! They also have chewables for kids, Gravol ginger pills and the suppositories are good even after symtoms have started especially for kids because they can get dehydrated so fast!! Then they land in the hospital. I myself was interested in the motion sickness bracelets. Has anyone used those? I can't remember what they're called but it seems like a really good option to use them instead of taking a pill.

I would maybe keep them on hand for if I was truly sick, but I think it might be too late at that point to...erm put it in? Doesn't the sv tend to come quickly. if so I don't know if i would even think about using this.
    I'd love to have some zofran here but can't figure out how to get a rx from my doctor without them thinking i'm nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    Doug--At what point should people take this medicine? What would happen if this medicine was taken once a week or so? What if someone would take it every day?

Why has the FDA not approved it for this use?
    It is Dramamine. You would take it when you would take Dramamine, but your stomach has stopped digesting in advance of vomiting, or if you have already vomited. There would be no point in taking it except when vomiting is imminent, or has already occurred.

I don't think there would be any harm in taking it often. It is similar to Benadryl, which many people take daily. I should say that I have had a package of Gravol suppositories for years and have never used one.

I don't know if anyone has ever petitioned the FDA to be able to advertise Dramamine for the purpose of preventing ordinary vomiting.

Here is a Gravol commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcepU7gbXs8

Doug

I got these from my daughters doc. but we never used them..

I don't have the suppositories but I have the oral tablets. Wondering if I could snort them instead of taking orally if it came to that or if I could use them as suppositories...
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Murder: no and no.

Quote Originally Posted by socitycourty View Post
    I would maybe keep them on hand for if I was truly sick, but I think it might be too late at that point to...erm put it in? Doesn't the sv tend to come quickly. if so I don't know if i would even think about using this.
    I'd love to have some zofran here but can't figure out how to get a rx from my doctor without them thinking i'm nuts
    Took one after I was already dh when I had sv. Never did v it even stopped the dh. Did not end the n or the fever but put me to sleep for about 12 hours. When I woke I was hungry and kept down food.