Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default sick boyfriend.... stress or virus?

I got home from work about an hour ago and my boyfriend was asleep in bed. I sat down next to him and he woke up and was feverishly talking and complaining that he was freezing cold and his stomach hurt. I thought maybe he was just stressed because it was his first night at work in two months (due to an injury) and he said it didn't go very well, and on his way home from work this morning, his clutch went out in his car and he was stranded in the middle of the highway with no phone and no one stopped to help him. He was a bit shaken up when he got home; he said he felt sick and he was extremely jumpy. I was leaving for work right at that time so I gave him some of my Nerve Tonic and a glass of water.

Like I said, I got home a little over an hour ago and he was worse. He said his stomach was in a lot of pain and he was cold. I covered him in a couple fleece blankets and our down comforter and turned the heater on. He sort of napped while I used the laptop, but he was very jumpy in his sleep and would start breathing heavy and whimper/moan or wake up and mumble some feverish nonsense if I moved too much. Gave him some Tums and a glass of water for his stomach and let him try to sleep for a bit. When he'd wake up I'd ask of his stomach ache was turning into nausea and of he needed anything. His forehead felt warm, but my hands are always icy so it's hard for me to tell.

He woke up a bit later and told me I should leave, and that's when I started panicking. I knew he must have thought he was going to v*. I grabbed my phone and left the room and here I am. I thought I heard him in our bathroom v*ing, but that may be my overactive mind. I know I heard a toilet flush, but we live in an apartment so it could be neighbors. He hasn't come out to the living room to tell me anything and it's been close to half an hour. I'm freaking myself out now because I'm starting to think he's ill and it's not just stress. I don't know what to do.

Default Re: sick boyfriend.... stress or virus?

I'm sorry but it does sound a bit like a virus, especially if he was feeling so cold and had troubled sleep. It doesn't mean it's a stomach virus, though. It could be the flu, it does make some people queasy sometimes. Or it could be a migraine, if he ever had those before (I know I get like that during a bad attack, fitful sleep, shaking, feeling cold, nausea, and I can't stand the slightest movement because it makes me sick). Then again, even if it is a sv* it doesn't mean you are doomed to catch it. You can still avoid it. If it is a virus, probably all he needs is rest. So let him sleep, keep to the living room for now if it makes you feel safer. You can always set up the couch as your bed while he is sick. You might want to check up on him though to make sure he is alright and doesn't need anything. You can take care of him, if you feel up to it, without catching it. Just make sure you do wash your hands well if you touch anything in the bedroom or bathroom. If it is a virus there isn't much to do except wait for it to pass. Just watch for his fever, if it gets too high it might be dangerous.

It does sound like a virus similar to what I had last week. Wash your hands and have him do the same. We were in a hotel room with one bathroom, and neither of my kids (4 & 7) nor my husband caught it. Try some Tylenol to get his fever down; it won't hurt his stomach and may help him feel better.

Just an update: I've been napping on the couch for a few hours. He came out and woke me up just now. He didn't end up v* and he had no d* either so I'm a little less worried about sv. I have asked him if he has a headache, cause I do know that can be a precursor to flu, but he says he hasn't had a headache, still just complaining of being cold and having stomach pain. I'm a little more at ease now, but I've been keeping my hands off of everything other than my phone and especially away from my face thank you to those who responded!

It does sound like some sort of illness, but the fact that he hasn't had d* and is just feeling nauseous makes me think it is some sort of flu bug, not a stomach bug. Continue being careful, but I think you are ok I hope he feels better soon!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I just talked to him a bit and he admitted he had a little bit of d* but not really bad. He wasn't even sure if you would classify it as d*, since it was kind of in between normal and d*. Obviously I wasn't around for that.. so who knows. :/ He says the stomach pain is starting to go away and he feels less nauseous now, but the cold is just really unbearable for him. He's asleep now and he's no longer having that weird feverish sleep and his head also feels a bit cooler to the touch. I got him to take a few drinks of water but he said that made his stomach hurt more. It's times like these I feel really helpless because of my emet, that's what's got me feeling the worst right now!

Even sips of Gatorade made my stomach cramp awful with what I had. Toast worked much better for some reason.

Could be the flu, even without a headache. It can cause d* (colds do that too, but I doubt he would have been that feverish with just a cold). Oh yes, my brother (he's a doctor) also told me a while back that adenovirus can cause weird little illnesses like that. The symptoms are pretty varied, but it can cause stomach pain, d* and fever. If I were you I'd still keep being careful about washing hands and possibly disinfecting with lysol, but I wouldn't worry too much about it being a sv* really. As for water, well, if he can keep it down it's a good sign, but he shouldn't drink too much at once. Don't feel bad about your emet worrying you, you're still doing a lot by checking up on him like that to see if he has a fever and everything. Some people couldn't even go in the same room as a potentially sick person. You're doing good

Hang in there! You seem to be doing a fine job. The fact that you were able to cover him with blankets shows you are Bette than I am. I would have been freaked just to be near him. And it was nice of him to tell you to leave knowing vomiting upsets you. Mine does that too.

I've really been pushing myself to overcome the fear! This is my first time with him while he's ill, and only my second time being around a significant other while they were sick. The first one completely understood my emet and he slept in the living room for two week when he got a really bad sv. Current boyfriend still does not quite understand completely and is a little mad at me currently because I wouldn't sit with him :s but the fact that I was in the room with him for close to an hour says a lot of my progress, at least to me anyway.

He appears to be getting a lot better. He actually just left to go get food when earlier today he couldn't even get up. He says his stomach is feeling a lot better, but I think he's still got chills. Who knows what it is! This is the weirdest "illness" I've ever encountered, that's why I thought it was stress. I know first hand that stress can really mess you up