Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy A couple of questions

Hello.
    I've been emetophobic for about 3 years. It started a while ago, actually, but I'm still unsure why it happened.
    But anyways, yesterday I went and picked up my friend from his house. When I got there his brother was on the couch, and I asked if he was alright. They told me that he had v* 3 times that day. I was absolutely terrified, I hadn't seen him get sick at that moment but I left the room without a thought and felt on the virge of tears, as I left I was crying. The whole day I was panicking and when i went to sleep I took Dramamine, thinking it'd keep me from getting sick. It did, helpfully, and today I am still not sick by what I was near, but right now I feel very nauseous and nervous, (even though i feel nauseous all day I'm just really worried now)

What I'm really wondering is that, How long does it take you to get sick from somebody?

Also, can you get sick just by briefly being near somebody?

Default Re: A couple of questions

If he had a stomach virus and you were to contract it, it can take anywhere from 12-48 (and I've even heard up to 72 hours in some cases) before you'll feel ill.. Usually after 3 days of being exposed to someone who is sick, I tend to ease up a bit.

The good thing is, you're probably in the clear unless you touched something he had touched (door handle, tv remote, etc.) and then touched your face. SV is spread through the v* and d* and if someone is ill and doesn't wash their hands after, they can contaminate objects they come in contact with.

However if you were just in the room with him, you're probably okay I completely understand your concern though, and hope that your nervousness and n* goes away!

Default Re: A couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by shelbycarolynn View Post
    If he had a stomach virus and you were to contract it, it can take anywhere from 12-48 (and I've even heard up to 72 hours in some cases) before you'll feel ill.. Usually after 3 days of being exposed to someone who is sick, I tend to ease up a bit.

The good thing is, you're probably in the clear unless you touched something he had touched (door handle, tv remote, etc.) and then touched your face. SV is spread through the v* and d* and if someone is ill and doesn't wash their hands after, they can contaminate objects they come in contact with.

However if you were just in the room with him, you're probably okay I completely understand your concern though, and hope that your nervousness and n* goes away!

Aaah thanks! <3
    i mean he didn't really come near me that much so yeah