Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm ill and my mind is racing

I've come down with a nasty sore throat and flu-like symptoms - hot/cold, chills, aches, fatigue. Not sure at this stage if it's a throat infection (I am really prone to them) or a virus. But anyway I am freaking out because I think the reason I've picked it up is I've just come off antibiotics and my immune system is low. So now I'm convinced in more susceptible to a SV. Not only that, the mucus in my throat is making me n* and want to gag, but I don't want to take anti-n* meds as I am already dosed up on painkillers and flu remedies for my throat. I hear all the time of my friends getting a cold one week and then picking up a stomach bug a short time later... Particular as it's winter here in the UK and there's all sorts going round.

What can I do? I can't sleep for anxiety about it all which isn't making me feel any physically better.

Default Re: I'm ill and my mind is racing

This may sound weird, but I actually embrace colds/flu because they make me feel so unwell I stop focusing on feeling n* for a bit... Don't forget the n* in your throat is undoubtedly linked to your emet and/or the musus and NOT necessarily anything to do with an sv*. As Cynna said, I've never heard that antibiotics weaken your immune system, so try not to worry about that too much Just get lots of rest, watch TV or a good film to take your mind off things... I'm sure you'll be just fine - well, aside from the flu that is :/
    Fell better soon!

Thanks guys... Think I just need to focus on looking after myself and not waste energy worrying about v* as that's not the problem I have with my body right now.

Don't worry, antibiotics will not weaken your immune system. They actually help it a lot because it's not overwhelmed when trying to fight an infection, so it can battle viruses more efficiently. Pretty much the only thing they do is upset the bacterial flora in your gut, but that is easily remedied by taking active culture yogurt. And I never heard about a link between cold/flu and a sv* after. But then again, persistent swallowing of mucus can cause some d* so maybe that's what people are talking about. But to be honest, I've had colds often and felt a bit nauseous but never got sick from it or afterwards. Your best bet to control the icky feeling from post-nasal drip is to drink warm beverages, ginger-lemon with honey works wonders for that if you can get your hands on it. So don't worry try to get some sleep to battle that nasty cold. Hope you feel better soon!

Ah thanks. I feel pretty rough but just keep dosing myself up on anti-flu meds. Post nasal drip is horrible. I never know whether to try to cough it up or not. I certainly think it's making me feel n*.