Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My name is Lewis and I am emetophobic. I am also miserable 90% of the
    time lately even though I have a beautiful and wonderful wife, great
    job and nice home. I need for this to stop.

When I was in the forth grade, I v* during a fire drill in front of the
    whole school. The kids were merciless. After that, I developed a phobia
    of v* and some underlying OCD symptoms (similar to those that many of
    you have described) quickly came into play.

The phobia tapered off significantly through high school, college and
    my early 20s. About a year ago, after a beautiful dinner with my
    now-wife, we came home and I had d* and n*. We suspected food poisoning
    and my emetophobia resurfaced with a vengeance. I did not v* but felt
    as though I would.

It's been like that for the past year, with varying degrees of
    severity, and it's getting worse every day. I have what I think must be
    IBS. After meals, I get extremely bloated (pants no longer fit) and
    that bloating often makes me feel n* or queasy. About 20% of the time,
    the discomfort and n* is so severe that I have a full-fledged panic
    attack.

This has affected my life in terrible ways. I typically travel
    70-80,000 miles per year for business by plane. My emetophobia has given rise to
    claustrophobia and even a fear of flying, after my last few plane trips
    culminated in a n* panic attack. I've since had to switch jobs, but some amount of travel is still required.

Pepto-Bismol is a close companion, to the point where it has stained
    some of my dental work. I have Meclizine on hand, but take it only
    during the severest of panic attacks because it renders me useless for
    the rest of the day.

Lately I've taken to waking up in the middle of the night with
    bloating, n* and di*. Then turns into a panic attack. Is the di* simply
    a result of the panic attack? I don't know.

What kills me, more than anything else, is what this is doing to my
    wife. She has the patience of a saint. She just keeps reassuring me
    that I will not v* but I think - no, I know</span>,
    that she is getting tired of it. Yesterday she came home from work
    saying her tummy was unsettled and that two co-workers had sv's. I
    about died right there. I went through the "did you share drinks with
    them, share close quarters with them, etc." business with her and she
    said "you're a freak, you care more about v* than you do about having
    sympathy for me." I love her more than anything in the world, but this
    phobia now runs my life. She is worried that I won't take care of our
    (as of yet unborn!) children when they get sick.

I want it to end - now. I must seem like a crazy person - ginger,
    emetrol, pepto, meclizine, marezine, peppermint, teas, fennel seeds,
    and other emetophobic paraphernalia never leave my side. I am now
    petrified of flying- something I used to LOVE to do. There always needs
    to be a receptacle nearby. You know the drill.

What I am obsessing over now is the fear that one day it won't simply be IBS-related bloating, it will</span>
    be something, and all of my anti-emetics won't stop me from v*. It's
    gone from a bad experience to a fear to a phobia to an obsession, and I
    need it to end.

Not so much for me, but for my wife - I can't keep doing this to her.
    When it comes to ANYTHING else, I am her he-man. Burglar? Bring it on.
    Kitchen's on fire? Check. Guy looks at her the wrong way on the street?
    No problem. But a little twinge in the tummy - forgetaboutit.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

Edited by: lewisr

I understand where you are coming from. My husband didn't understand it at first either. He's pretty good about it now. Doesn't fully understand, but accepts it. It's hard. Very hard to deal with this phobia, but it can be done. You have to try not to let it get the best of you and kind of shrug it off. I've been dealing with it for so many years like others on this site, and I finally have come to a point where I'm able to deal with it now. Are you on antidepressants at all? They work wonders. I take Paxil, and it works really well. It helps with the anxiety and obsessiveness that comes along with this phobia. One thing my husband does do that makes me feel better is when we go out, if I'm feeling bad, he said we can leave anytime. Maybe you should try talking to your wife about it. Have you done that? I know it's hard, but it will get better with time. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by princessmel
    I
    understand where you are coming from. My husband didn't
    understand it at first either. He's pretty good about it
    now. Doesn't fully understand, but accepts it. It's
    hard. Very hard to deal with this phobia, but it can be
    done. You have to try not to let it get the best of you and kind
    of shrug it off. I've been dealing with it for so many years like
    others on this site, and I finally have come to a point where I'm able
    to deal with it now. Are you on antidepressants at all?
    They work wonders. I take Paxil, and it works really well.
    It helps with the anxiety and obsessiveness that comes along with this
    phobia. One thing my husband does do that makes me feel better is
    when we go out, if I'm feeling bad, he said we can leave anytime.
    Maybe you should try talking to your wife about it. Have you done
    that? I know it's hard, but it will get better with time. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]</font>

Thanks for your thoughts. I've shyed away from anti-d's to this point
    primarily because of the er, side effects, they can tend to have on
    men. I don't want to punish my wife any further. I've also heard
    stories about drowsiness, etc. There is no question, however, that they
    are effective for controlling obsession.

I think part of the problem is that I am looking for a magic bullet that does not exist.

best,

Lewis

when you find that bullet can i borrow it too [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Unforunately, there is no magic bullet. I wish there was one also. I know when I first started taking Paxil, the drowsiness only lasted for a short while. That's one of the side effects of it. As for the sex drive, it really depends on the mg they give you. I did have problems with my sex drive, but I had the mg decreased. My husband did have a problem with it or got irritated a lot, but he'd rather have me on the medicine to help me. It didn't like seeing me nervous all of the time. It doesn't completely wipe it out though. Just something else you have to work at. I understand completely if you don't want to be on medication. Have you considered learning some relaxation techniques? I've beenlifting weights4 days a week and that helps tremendously also. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

My husband doesnt really understand my fear either, although he does try to be understanding when I am in a panic about it. I know he gets upset with me sometimes though, esp. when I question him about how he feels, if anyone he works with has been sick, ect ....... I am actually worried about him catching something right now, because people at his work have been sick, but he doesnt know what they have been sick with. These guys work for him, I was like why didnt you ask them what was wrong with them. He said he doesnt press them about stuff like that, and I could tell he was getting upset with me for asking, so I stopped. I will just suffer silently [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I am like you, I can handle so much, I have always prided myself on being a strong, confident, independent woman, and its sad to know that such a thing as vomit can bring me to my knee's and cause so much panic.

I am kinda funny about taking meds to treat this phobia too, because I worry about the side effects. I worry about it causing problems with my sex drive and that is something else I dont want to suffer through, or hubby to have to suffer because of. I had to have a complete hysterectomy last summer, so my sex drive is already compromised some, but I do take a shot for that. I also worry about the side effects of some of these meds when taken long term. I have heard that some of the newer anti-anxiety/depression meds dont have that high of a risk of causing sexual side effects.Do you have a family doctor you feel comfortable talking with about all this?

Welcome to the site!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jennyleigh1975
    Do you have a family doctor you feel comfortable talking with about all this?

Welcome to the site!!!!

Thank you for your kind words and for the welcome. I tend to avoid
    doctors (terrible idea, I know), partially because I am fearful that
    tests they would give me if I brought this up, would cause me to v*. I
    know, makes perfect sense, right [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img], but I know you guys hear me.

Hey, I have things I avoid because of vomit. I was scared to death last summer when I had to have my surgeries because I was afraid the snesthesia would make me vomit. I told my anesthesia doc about my fear, and he said that he would give me plenty of anti-nausea meds, and that rarely do people get sick from anesthesia anymore. I am happy to report, I DID NOT get sick!!!!

Basically the point I am trying to get scross about going to the doctor is, do you atleast have on that you feel comfortable telling all this too. Someone you can ask all the questions about any tests? My doctor is very understanding and I ask her a bazillion questions. Like, is this going to make me vomit, ect .....

Hi, Lewis, welcome to the site! I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Please don't feel like a freak, you are definitely not alone in this although we all understand the "freak" feelings. Your wife sounds wonderful and willing to help you. I think any non emet is likely to get frustrated at times which is understandable because no matter how caring they are human and not going thru the same thing. The truth is it probably frustrates us more tho. Have you considered therapy? I started going a couple years ago and while it didn't really help my emet it's helped w/ soem of the "phobias" I've aquired from the emet, in other words I function better now. I wish too that there was some magical cure but unfortunately there is not. Again welcome and rememebr that you can always come here to vent or ask for help or anything, everyone here is awesome!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi Lewis, welcome! At the risk of sounding repetative, you are not a freak! Your wife was most likely just reacting, which all of us do. It may help to print out the information Sage has put in the therapy section of this site. It's for you to give to a doctor or family member telling about emet. My husband read it, my mom read it, my doctor read it, and it helped them see a little bit of my world.

It does help to go into therapy. A therapist will help you to understand your feelings and then when you recognize an anxiety-inducing event, you can tell yourself to think rationally and maybe get out of a panic. Anti-anxiety meds are also helpful for those tough times. I hate flying too, and sometimes have to fly for work, and Ativan is my friend.

I know all about the OCD stuff and the irrational thinking and the panic attacks, and it can get better.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Hi, welcome to the site. It's good to see more guys coming out into the open and admitting thier fears. I can't really add too much, everyone else has said what I would basically say. Good luck with everything.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome. I am glad to have "knowing" support throughout this journey.

best,

Lewis