Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default So tired of feeling this way!

Hi everyone,
    It has been awhile since I posted, but I am so worried. I work full-time in the healthcare field and am constantly around sick people. It is starting to be time again for sv* and I am freaking out. My boss's wife was saying that he was sick with the sv* for two days, and now I am terrified that I am gonna get it. I wasn't even near him, but I was around her, who hadn't been sick. I got the sv* last year and it was horrible. I still have nightmares about it, and I honestly don't think I can handle it again. I don't know what to do. My fear keeps getting worse and worse, and it is debilitating. I really don't know what to do. Do I have a higher chance of getting it again? I really don't want it to happen again. My boyfriend doesn't understand my fear and gets irritated with me because I am always talking about it. I just can't get over this anxiety. Please help me, I feel like I don't even want to have a job in the healthcare field anymore, and I am almost done with nursing school....

Default Re: So tired of feeling this way!

You don't have a higher chance of getting again because you caught it once, if that's what you're worried about. Both my parents worked in a hospital, my mom was a microbiology lab technician actually so she was the one dealing with all the contaminated samples and stuff. They never got the sv* from work. And you can't catch it from being around people, especially people who aren't sick or haven't been sick recently (like your boss' wife). Keep washing your hands often, it is the best defense against catching most illnesses. Have you considered getting therapy to deal with your fear? It might help.

Default Re: So tired of feeling this way!

As I read your post, it sounded just like the way I feel (and think). It truly is an obsession, a fear that touches every single part of my life. I'm so sorry your boyfriend isn't supportive. I'm sure you must feel alone. I've tried a few times to explain my fears to my husband, but he just doesn't get it. Do you have anyone else you can confide in? It's important to be kind to yourself when you're having a rough time of it. Tell yourself that you CAN get through this and that you ARE strong enough to handle it. Even if you don't believe it, just saying it outloud can boost your confidence a bit. Make sure that you give yourself credit for each little thing you do to face your fears (going in to work or school, etc.). Take one day at a time.