Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Abbreviations?

Hybrid View

Red face Abbreviations?

We've all seen them before, some of us even use them. How do you feel about abbreviations? Do you need them to prevent a trigger? Or do words not bother you as much as the actual thing?

Feel free to answer and discuss.

(Note; abbreviations are used to 'censor' trigger words. i.e. "I'm afraid of throwing up." "I'm afraid of t*u*.")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Let's freak out together. My Skype is always available to those who need someone to talk to! My username is SnugglePuff78.

Default Re: Abbreviations?

I don't use the abbreviations. When I first joined the site, I used the abbreviations because I thought it was a rule that you had to, but I found myself becoming afraid of the words myself when I never used to be before. So I don't abbreviate ever. I honestly think that they're counterproductive but I guess on a site like this you always have to accept that people are at different stages of their phobia and recovery, and if thats what they need to do for the time being, that's fine. As long as it doesn't become a rule that people HAVE to abbreviate, then everything's fine
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used V and D at first because I saw everybody else was doing it, but I started using puke/vomit/barf and such because finding the little asterisk symbol on my keyboard was annoying.... however I do use D* because I have no idea how to spell that term for "the runs", and I HATE spelling things wrong.... lol
    the words don't trigger me any, it's fine by me whatever words you use.
    keep a cool head, and breathe easy, my friend

Yes... I usually use abbreviations, but more out of courtesy for other people who don't like to see the words. I was at a stage like that as a kid, but I got over it a while ago.

I use them sometimes but generally only because I'm too lazy to type them all the way out. If I type something I feel is graphic, I'll give a warning. Words don't trigger me at all. No more than the abbreviations do.

I use them when the original poster does. I think that "fear of a name only increases fear itself" but I still can't spell the word vomit in Portuguese, what's funny, because there's only an accent (ô) and it ends with an o too. I also don't type d* because I have no idea how to spell it. I wonder how people that always abbreviate react when they have to SAY the word.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

I tend to use abbreviations cos its easier than typing out longer words. So its mostly laziness on my part although there are a few crude words for vomit that do make me cringe a bit!

I use abbreviations purely put of laziness. I'm also too lazy to use the asterisk symbol after the letters
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I don't usually mind the words. I usually have power over them. SOMETIMES though the words get the better of me and they have the power over me. SO I will abbreviate as much as possible just to keep it simple and so I don't upset anyone else or myself when it is a "word power day".

The actual words don't bother me a bit. I can type them, talk about them, etc. I abbreviate out of concern for others who are reading and may be triggered by the full words.

Sounds like the words really don't bother anyone.... And can actually be helpful (empowering). Since I'm new to posting to this site, ill take this poll to mean its ok to use the real words. Cool with me