Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I can look at all exposure therapy pictures and sounds on the exposure therapy site.

I've gone to ratemyvomit.com, and I could look through as many pictures
    as I wanted with only minimal anxiety. My Mom, who is non-emet has even
    looked at these, and was more disgusted than I was. My question is,
    what does this all mean? Why, when I actually experience v* in real
    life, myself or others, I'm still over the roof in panic? I wish I
    knew! Any advice/comments would help. Thanks!!

PS: I Strongly reccomend that you look at all exposure therapy links BEFORE ratemyvomit, as you never know whats coming next.</font>

I know what you mean. I can watch movies,fear factor, I looked at that ratemyvomit site(which really grossed meout-but Ithibkitwould anyone who sees it)and even be around it in person-as long as I or anyone in my home has no chance of catching it. I think we have a kind of cross between germphobia and emetophobia. I don't know about if you have any other anxiety related problems but for example-I can't touch a door handle with my bare hands or use a public toilet-unless I REALLY need to.

Yeah it's weird because I can watch ER and look at RatemyVomit and all the exposure therapy pics but for some reason when it comes to real life it freaks me the hell out. Yesterday I actually managed to watch my cat V with minimal anxiety which I guess is a step forward. I made myself watch it and I got through it fine but when it comes to people...and when it comes to ME doing it I just freak the hell out. I read that the average person V*'s like twice a year...and that freaks me the hell out. I also read that the longest recorded period of not V was 12 and a half years...dear GOD what am I going to do when I get to the 12 year mark? I freak out abou that all the time!

Anyway I think that pictures and movies and sounds we know that they can't hurt us. When we are looking at them they are in a controlled environment, we can turn off the sounds, fast forward the movie, and click away the pictures. When someone is around you doing it you can't just TURN IT OFF...because it's REAL. That's my theory on it anyway.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Thank you for your therories guys!

I've really reflected on them. I also never considered the germophobia
    aspect. To answer your question, swiftette, I do have an anxiety
    disorder/OCD. I mean, I am okay with animal v* and the pictures, sounds
    etc, but if someone were to v* in REAL life, I would panic I would
    catch it, or just panic all together, or if I were to v* I would really
    worry, which also goes along with the germphobia thing. Odd I never
    thought of that before. Anyway, thanks again for your responses,
    definatly something I will mention to my pyschiatrist.

*Laura

PS: Good for you for being able to get through your cat v*ing

</font>
    Edited by: sunshine16

Monica - where did you here the 12 year thing? There are lots of people on the forum that have made it past 12 years (including myself). THere is no magic clock that says you will v* again after a certain amount of time. If you go to the emetophobia bravepages website I think I saw someone who has not v* in over 50 years.

Monica, my mom has'nt vomited in 33 years(when she was pregnant with me)And I don't ever remember growing up seeing my dad v*either, even though he got bad migraines. (I'd ask him but he has alzheimers ) I also remember hearing that some people are genetically predisposed to gastro. related viruses.Has anyone else ever heard that?

swiftette: That's amazing about your parents (and know I haven't heard that) were your parents emet as well?

I can watch it on TV, look at pics on ratemyvomit, watch my cat vomit and then clear it up but as soon as it comes to somebody who is near me I freak out. I don't even think it's to do with me catching it - the other month a guy at work was ill and the men's toilet is next to my office so I had to run downstairs until he'd finished - he hadn't got an sv, it was just something he ate so I knew I couldn't catch it but the fear I had was awful - I even tried telling myself I was OK but it didn't help.

I haven't vomitted for over 20 years and I've read about other people who have gone longer than that so the 12yr theory is only hearsay!
    Nikki

No Laura, just very lucky I guess.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon