Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Just a Question

Well, I wondering if somehow making yourself sick would help in therapy.

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but I'm tired of being afraid of this. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone ever done it? How did you and did it help? Thanks.

Well, I v* for the first time in 8 years last tuesday and it didn't help one bit =\
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Really? It didn't help to know what it felt like and everything? I think I'm probably scared of it because I don't know what it's like and all. I'm just surprised it didn't help you at all.

Well, the actual act of v* was easy. Just the taste was a little unsettling. But it was the whole build up to the actual act of v*. So that's what I'm still scared about.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

When I v*, it helps.

When I had the flu this year, it helped.

When I had food posioning this year, it helped.

Boy, this has been a bad year for v*..

Wow, yes you have. Are still scared of it?? Edited by: alyssa

That's a good question. I've heard of many people making themselves vomit to overcome the fear. You can look at it two ways: Being exposed to a fear is the only way to overcome it, and certainly that makes sense. I've never done it personally. However, in my opinion making yourself vomit would further traumatize. I've done research and people who've made themselvessick either by the finger or consuming something not only did not cure the phobia, but further damaged it. It's honestly up to you. It's really a love/hate type of deal. If you think it would work, then go ahead. I'm sure it would, but would the Emetophobia return? o.O

From what I have read on here, it is not a good idea. It won't cure you.

Uhm..search through the past threads Sage had input on it on past threads that came up like this. =] I honestly dont think it would work. Its depends on the person and you never know. I think I'd just get worse, but that's just me.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I don't know, I think it might work. I think what I'm scared of is that I don't know what it's like. Thinking of making myself sick doesn't really make me nervous either. I just think the next time I'm naturally sick I won't be nervous about it because I will remember what it's like to be sick. I'd rather be nervous in the situation that I have control in then the situation when it's naturally and I'm in no control of it. If that makes sense. I don't think I really want to use ipecac unless I'm just desperate. i did actually try it with my fingers and it didn't work. I'm probably doing it wrong. I wasn't scared when I was trying though.

Idont think you have much control when you use ipecac..? I mean I heard it makes you v* pretty bad..unless the control you are talking about it not taking you by surprise? Eh. I dont know sorry. =T
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Yah, I meant the control when it doesn't take you by surprise. Even if it was bad, at least I'm aware it will be bad and can be prepared for it. But really if I can find another way hopefully I won't use ipecac.