Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Sorry, completely off topic! Anyone with cartilage piercings?

Yesterday I went and got my cartilage pierced (top of the ear)! I got it done a few years ago at Claires but I took it out cause it got infected! Anyway, I'm a bit worried cause I cleaned my piercing last night, and there was a bit of dried blood there, not worried about that cause obviously I only got it done yesterday but then when I went to clean it today it still kind of bled, and it's looking a bit bruised! I didn't have this when I got it done the first time. In Claires they done it with a gun and yesterday they done it with a needle. I've got my lobes pierced 3 times, tragus pierced and my ears stretched and none of these have bled the next day or been bruised, so I'm a wee bit worried! My piercing isn't sore or anything, it'a only sore if I bang it on something... which is a good thing yeah? Anyway is a wee bit of blood and bruising the next day normal? I've been reading it should only bleed when you first get it done, So I suppose I'm a bit spooked with the blood. I've been cleaning it with warm water and sea salt, I've cleaned all my piercings with this and it's worked a treat. Anyone any advice?

Also, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with emet! I'm sorry, It's got me all worried and I didn't know where else to post about this D:

Default Re: Sorry, completely off topic! Anyone with cartilage piercings?

I have mine pierced and it took a long time to heal but finally did. I actually had two on each ear and now I only have one, haha. I think it took so long to heal because I kept banging it against everything. You just have to clean it everyday and try not to bang it. Mine was also sore only if I banged it against something. It just takes time!

cartilage piercings are the worst! They take the longest time to heal compared to other piercings and one day it may hurt, the next day it can feel fine. I had my rook, pierced which is also another cartilage piercing, and i ended up taking it out because after 3 months it still hurt. Cartilage piercings can take up to 6 months to heal completely without irritation!. I think what you are experiencing is normal. Just stick to your regular routine of cleaning your ear and you should be okay.

I have a few cartilage piercings and also a tragus piercing, and actually the needle is way safer than doing it with the gun at Claire's. The blood you're seeing is normal, it's not actively bleedING, it's just dry blood and pus kind of seeping out. You have to remember that it is still a wound, you just stuck a hole through your ear so it's bound to bleed a little, bruise, and hurt. If you sleep on your side, switch to sleeping on your back or on the side that your piercing is not on. Sleeping on it will irritate it.

Warm water with sea salt is good, you can also buy a bottle of saline spray at the drug store and spray it on the piercing twice a day in addition to the salt water. It sounds like everything you're experiencing is normal! One thing to watch out for is if a large red/white/painful bump develops near the piercing site. If that happens, just go to the doctor, they will give you antibiotics and it will be good as new!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spilled_milk View Post
    I have a few cartilage piercings and also a tragus piercing, and actually the needle is way safer than doing it with the gun at Claire's. The blood you're seeing is normal, it's not actively bleedING, it's just dry blood and pus kind of seeping out. You have to remember that it is still a wound, you just stuck a hole through your ear so it's bound to bleed a little, bruise, and hurt. If you sleep on your side, switch to sleeping on your back or on the side that your piercing is not on. Sleeping on it will irritate it.

Warm water with sea salt is good, you can also buy a bottle of saline spray at the drug store and spray it on the piercing twice a day in addition to the salt water. It sounds like everything you're experiencing is normal! One thing to watch out for is if a large red/white/painful bump develops near the piercing site. If that happens, just go to the doctor, they will give you antibiotics and it will be good as new!
    I read somewhere actually that you should never pierce cartilage with a gun! I preferred the needle 'cause the gun reminds me of a stapler, creeps me out haha! Yeah, I thought it was dry blood cause it was a dark spot round the piercing, but when I wiped it off it looked like fresh blood, if you know what I mean? And right now there is still a spot of blood round the piercing, even though I've cleaned it! Yeah you're right, it's bound to hurt, I'm just freaked out 'cause it never bled or bruised last time.
    What is the painful bump btw? Because that's why I took my piercing out last time, there was a white lump right underneath it, it wasn't too sore, but after I took my piercing out it went away.

Thanks everyone for their replies! Put me at ease

Yeah, it's much much safer to do it with the needle. The gun is much less precise, needle is the way to go.

The white bump was probably an infection beginning to form, and it went away when you took out the piercing. When they turn kind of red, that is a keloid scar beginning to form and those can be treated with antibiotics.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

i had mine pierced years ago but it kept getting infected so i just let it close up. too much hassle for me.

I'm beginning to regret getting this done, also so much hassle! Its not sore or anything today but I have a purple bruise right round it, totally giving me the fear! ahhh.